Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Doesn't this just kill you?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 8 years ago by aberdeennut.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

and make you want to do this...Bang Head

The first person in Florida to get 5 out of 5 white balls in Powerball came forward.  He won $200,000, but could have won a million had he spent an extra dollar.

This is a quote from the Florida Lottery web site.  I took the liberty of putting a few words in red.

"Bridges, who has never played the lottery, decided to buy a ticket after one of his children noticed a sign in the store with the jackpot for the next drawing."

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49752 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2009, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Does it make you feel any better: That Last Night's Florida 5+0 Winner Paid the $1 for Power Play!

$1,000,000

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #61435
      May 22, 2008
      908 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2009, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

The 1st winner was a high roller.........bought $90.00 worth.  But yea the, first time playing makes me go Bang Head  Bang Head  Mad

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2009, 12:04 am - IP Logged

and make you want to do this...Bang Head

The first person in Florida to get 5 out of 5 white balls in Powerball came forward.  He won $200,000, but could have won a million had he spent an extra dollar.

This is a quote from the Florida Lottery web site.  I took the liberty of putting a few words in red.

"Bridges, who has never played the lottery, decided to buy a ticket after one of his children noticed a sign in the store with the jackpot for the next drawing."

He was so very lucky. The first time he plays he wins a big one.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2009, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Does it make you feel any better: That Last Night's Florida 5+0 Winner Paid the $1 for Power Play!

$1,000,000

I wonder if it was his (or her) first time playing!  LOL  "Oh, I just wanted a book of stamps and the clerk handed me a ticket by mistake, so I figured why not?"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2009, 1:39 am - IP Logged

Sometimes the Lottery Fairy smiles on first time players just to keep things interesting!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2009, 2:30 am - IP Logged

I'm guessing that what's bothering the guy is that he could have won a lot more than $1 million without spending an extra buck if he had just picked a different power ball number.It's always easy to look back and see how a minor change could have resulted in things turning out differently.

OTOH, when the guy spent his money he had a 1 in 35 chance of winning something, and a 34 in 35 chance of losing  the $1 or $2 he spent on the ticket. There's also a pretty good argument that if he had done anything differently, the results would have been different, too.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2009, 3:18 am - IP Logged

I'm guessing that what's bothering the guy is that he could have won a lot more than $1 million without spending an extra buck if he had just picked a different power ball number.It's always easy to look back and see how a minor change could have resulted in things turning out differently.

OTOH, when the guy spent his money he had a 1 in 35 chance of winning something, and a 34 in 35 chance of losing  the $1 or $2 he spent on the ticket. There's also a pretty good argument that if he had done anything differently, the results would have been different, too.

That's what I was going to say.

I'll take PROFIT over loss any day.

United Kingdom
                  Member #67319
                  November 23, 2008
                  227 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2009, 4:41 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone yes we should be thankfull for the small mercies we recieve to take us through life greed is what has got the world in the state it is now.

Good luck everyone,

aberdeennut...