Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying lottery tickets at Corp./District offices

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by tnlottodreamer.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
The Great Smoky Mountains
United States
Member #59921
March 31, 2008
266 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2009, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

JesterHere in Tn you can buy Powerball,pick5,lotto plus,scratch offs at the Lottery Offices.

Has anyone ever purchased tickets from there or in your state at the lottery office and has anyone ever won.  Is it a good ideal to buy from them or to buy at the local grocery stores etc.

I always seem to jump around store to store instead of buying at the same store all the time. 

I have never heard of noone buying at distrist offices and winning anything over a ticket.

Good Luck Post Friends!!!

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2009, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm. If you're planning on winning something substantial, it might be good idea, seeing you can claim any prize on the spot. Can't say much for convenience though.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2009, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

JesterHere in Tn you can buy Powerball,pick5,lotto plus,scratch offs at the Lottery Offices.

Has anyone ever purchased tickets from there or in your state at the lottery office and has anyone ever won.  Is it a good ideal to buy from them or to buy at the local grocery stores etc.

I always seem to jump around store to store instead of buying at the same store all the time. 

I have never heard of noone buying at distrist offices and winning anything over a ticket.

I just read on the Powerball website where a Connecticut couple won a miilion dollars for matching all 5 white balls and having bought the powerplay option.While they were waiting for the lottery office workers to make out their check,the wife bought a $1 scratch off ticket.She won $3,000.So it does happen.

United States
        Member #59921
        March 31, 2008
        266 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2009, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I guess being at the right place and time helps too

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          Gurnee, Illinois
          United States
          Member #49731
          February 12, 2007
          917 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2009, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Honestly, it doesn't matter WHERE you buy your ticket...ALL that really matters is that ALL the NUMBERS match for that given drawing!!!  I think the only difference is that whereas the convenience store gets paid a bonus commission for selling a winning jackpot ticket, the lottery offices just can proclaim they sold a winning ticket (it would just be paying a bonus back to itself which wouldn't make any sense). 

I think those of the "I'm going to play the same numbers regardless" camp have a valid point as do those who just have this feeling about a certain set of numbers that hit them.  And of course, those in the "I have a winning feeling...let me buy a set of QPs" camp have a valid point as well.  It takes discipline to be in the first camp...playing the same numbers over and over again...losing over and over again.  It feels better to be in the second camp...but only briefly because the winning feeling is fleeting and just one little quirk can throw a winning outcome out the window.  The last option is best because whether you have the winning feeling or not, it is so easy to just ask for a QP and give the clerk a buck...for a chance to win.

Gotta go get my QP and OP for the next Mega Millions drawing.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
            Gurnee, Illinois
            United States
            Member #49731
            February 12, 2007
            917 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2009, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I just read on the Powerball website where a Connecticut couple won a miilion dollars for matching all 5 white balls and having bought the powerplay option.While they were waiting for the lottery office workers to make out their check,the wife bought a $1 scratch off ticket.She won $3,000.So it does happen.

I don't mess with scratch-ifs even though I have been at my favorite lottery playing convenience store on two occasions when two other patrons (at different times) had bought winning scratch-ifs in the amounts of $10,000 and $500 (the $500 winner happened last night as I was buying my pipe dream for the Mega Millions drawing).

Nor do I mess with Pick 3 or Pick 4 even though I have also been in stores where people came in to claim their P3 winnings (Straight P4 winners have to go to lottery office).  My belief is that for me to spend a buck, I want to have the potential of that buck returning at least $1M (cash value) prize; so I will continue to play against the odds in powerball, mega millions, and state lotteries like Illinois, Florida, Texas, and California and Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio when the jackpots are larger than $8M (only because I or someone I trust get to those states so infrequently in order to collect lesser prize winnings).

I will never play lottery in NY because if you don't claim lessor prize winnings within 45 days, your only option is to either go to the lottery offices or claim it by mail; there is no way I am going to make a sidetrip into NY to collect anything less than $600; and it defeats the purpose of buying a 42 cent stamp just to collect $2 bucks.  So NY really must have a bunch of unclaimed small dollar winning tickets due to that.  At the time, I was driving a semi-truck and bought a NY Mega Millions ticket as I passed through.  Prior to that, I had gotten through NY at least once a every other month or so, then I didn't get anywhere near there after matching the Megaball on my ticket I purchased there.  Didn't know about the 45 day thing, so some few months later when I finally got a run through NY, I went to redeem the ticket at a convenience store like I do anywhere else (IL, WI, IN, OH, TX, CA, FL, NE, WA, MI, OK, IA) only to have the clerk tell me I had to go to the lottery office since 45 days had passed since the drawing.  NY sucks...oh I forgot that HC was a senator there.  NY definitely sucks!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
              North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2009, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

You know, it's very Ironic that the TN lottery breaks one of its own rules...  A business can't only sell Lottery Tickets as its base product.  In otherwords, you must have a well established business that doesn't rely on benefits from selling lottery products.  However, their district offices and vendors sell tickets as the base product. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
                Member #59921
                March 31, 2008
                266 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2009, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

You know, it's very Ironic that the TN lottery breaks one of its own rules...  A business can't only sell Lottery Tickets as its base product.  In otherwords, you must have a well established business that doesn't rely on benefits from selling lottery products.  However, their district offices and vendors sell tickets as the base product. 

Well said tnplayer805. My point. Well I have gotten a few tickets at the district office and they sucked didnt even win back a ticket.And if they sell the winning ticket does Tn just keep thatbonus for selling , I think I rather buy at a store so at least I know someone other the lottery will profit as well.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2009, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

The only time i buy tickets directly from the lottery office is when they are at some function like the State Fairgrounds or events that my take place in our state and there is no other place close by to purchase tickets. They usually have several of their machines at these functions and give out freebies as well.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                    TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4525 Posts
                    Posted: February 1, 2009, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

In fairness, My PA state lottery headquarters is five minutes from my work place. Often our business buys lottery tickets in bulk package and they must be picked up at the Lottery facility for two reasons. 1- Proof that we are a business and using it for promotional lines and 2: To receive a receipt from the state commission for business purpose.

Some stores allow bulk purchase but have no way to give receipts that are qualified for tax purpose. They keep their lottery funds separate from regular sales and thus *proclaim* that receipts arent normally given .

If you follow the instant lottery trail, there actually are AREAS that have higher claims and winners. So where you play can have an impact of winning chances.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                      Member #59921
                      March 31, 2008
                      266 Posts
                      Posted: February 2, 2009, 9:54 am - IP Logged

In fairness, My PA state lottery headquarters is five minutes from my work place. Often our business buys lottery tickets in bulk package and they must be picked up at the Lottery facility for two reasons. 1- Proof that we are a business and using it for promotional lines and 2: To receive a receipt from the state commission for business purpose.

Some stores allow bulk purchase but have no way to give receipts that are qualified for tax purpose. They keep their lottery funds separate from regular sales and thus *proclaim* that receipts arent normally given .

If you follow the instant lottery trail, there actually are AREAS that have higher claims and winners. So where you play can have an impact of winning chances.

Lottery trail yes I know I have followed it here, and it seems like alot of the instant scratchers with big winning amounts are always in one of the worst parts of town whicj I wouldnt dare to drive there and buy tickets and the other winners and in very well to do areas. Im kinda stuck between them in the middle class and theres not alot of winning tickets sold around here. I look at the winners everyday on the web site and they always say where the tickets were puchased at. poor od rich areas seems like.All I can do is keep trying.