Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Improved Printable Pages!

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by megs-n.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23352 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2009, 1:35 am - IP Logged

This evening I installed an update to all "printable views" for forum posts, private messages, and sent items.

The printable view can be seen by clicking the Print button at the top of any forum topic, or by clicking Printable Version at the bottom of any private message or sent item.

There has actually been an annoying JavaScript error in the printable pages for some time, so the first order of business was to get rid of that error (which was done).

Next, the new printable views have much more visible and clearer Print and Close links at the top and the bottom of the page.  Previously they were plain links, and easy to miss.

The new links are indeed much brighter and more colorful, but it would not be a good thing for those bright, colorful links to appear on the printed pages.  So the next thing I did was to program the page so that when it gets sent to the printer, the links are removed.  (You will no longer see "Print | Close" at the top and bottom of every printout.)

Then, I streamlined the format of the printouts so that a lot of clutter was removed, made the wording different (more appropriate) for news stories, corrected the links for news stories, and added numbers to all of the replies in a thread so they could be referred back to.  (i.e., Reply #1, Reply #2, etc.) 

To my eye, it is now much easier to scan down the printed page and read everything.

Lastly, any time someone quotes another post in their reply, that quoted text is visible on the forums, but in the printout there was no way to tell what post the person was replying to.  So now there is a clear indicator showing exactly which post the person is replying to, and thus the thread is much easier to follow in the printout.

I know there are a lot of people who use the printable versions, so I hope these changes will make the printouts much better and easier to use.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

AriesDaRam's avatar - nw gingfighter.jpg
    Stone Mtn
    United States
    Member #64518
    August 30, 2008
    1157 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2009, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Thanks Todd! Thumbs Up

I love the new print format. It is much easier to read without the added lines and pics.Smile

trulyblessed's avatar - yocco
      Durham, North Carolina
      United States
      Member #58710
      February 23, 2008
      6882 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2009, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

This evening I installed an update to all "printable views" for forum posts, private messages, and sent items.

The printable view can be seen by clicking the Print button at the top of any forum topic, or by clicking Printable Version at the bottom of any private message or sent item.

There has actually been an annoying JavaScript error in the printable pages for some time, so the first order of business was to get rid of that error (which was done).

Next, the new printable views have much more visible and clearer Print and Close links at the top and the bottom of the page.  Previously they were plain links, and easy to miss.

The new links are indeed much brighter and more colorful, but it would not be a good thing for those bright, colorful links to appear on the printed pages.  So the next thing I did was to program the page so that when it gets sent to the printer, the links are removed.  (You will no longer see "Print | Close" at the top and bottom of every printout.)

Then, I streamlined the format of the printouts so that a lot of clutter was removed, made the wording different (more appropriate) for news stories, corrected the links for news stories, and added numbers to all of the replies in a thread so they could be referred back to.  (i.e., Reply #1, Reply #2, etc.) 

To my eye, it is now much easier to scan down the printed page and read everything.

Lastly, any time someone quotes another post in their reply, that quoted text is visible on the forums, but in the printout there was no way to tell what post the person was replying to.  So now there is a clear indicator showing exactly which post the person is replying to, and thus the thread is much easier to follow in the printout.

I know there are a lot of people who use the printable versions, so I hope these changes will make the printouts much better and easier to use.

Hurray! Thanks Todd. That makes a BIG difference when printing!!!

Lovies

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
        Dallas, TX
        United States
        Member #60284
        April 12, 2008
        3856 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2009, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd,

This makes it simple to read.

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23352 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2009, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

Awesome, glad you all like it!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5587 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2009, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

And it saves the precious magenta, cyan, yellow, color cartridges if you have inky jet printer! THANKS!

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              Heroic City
              Indonesia
              Member #31689
              February 2, 2006
              1153 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2009, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

wow, is it like RSS, Chief? although it's the first time i click print button lol

wtg chief

Et erunt signa in sole.......Et luna et stellis.......Et presura gentium
              Prae confusione sonitus maris.

pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
                Member #19982
                August 9, 2005
                226 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2009, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

can the new print method --print all pages of a single thread??

Or only the currently loaded one page at a time.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23352 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2009, 12:58 am - IP Logged

can the new print method --print all pages of a single thread??

Or only the currently loaded one page at a time.

Why not give it a try? Just a single button-click!

Malaga
                    Spain
                    Member #70697
                    February 9, 2009
                    2 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2009, 7:53 am - IP Logged

Great, thanks Todd!