Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Something to clear up...

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2009, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I just read the winner's guide for California Lottery. The booklet makes it clear that winner's name is required to be disclosed.

But I remember that one CA jackpot winner claiming the prize anonymously. How?! Did the article give us wrong information?

One more thing. In Korea, there's a rumor that winning a US lottery jackpot will guarantee a citizenship. But outside of Korean sources, I never found this information and no verification. Is this true?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2009, 12:01 am - IP Logged

ambelamba

I think some states may let you skip a press conference or show up in disguise, but the winner's name is still a matter of public record. that's why some people form a trust.

(If people want to dig, they can still fins out who makes up the trust, but it stops a lot of people from prying).

As for the citizenship, I've never heard of any such thing. The only way I know of a foreign national in the U.s. to get citizenship other than the normal requirements are by serving a tour in the U.S. military.

Citizenship for a jackpot winner sounds like some cu-ji-ma from some shyster "advisers" in Arirang town in L.A.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3102 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2009, 12:56 am - IP Logged

When you win the big one, on your lawyur's advice, go to your bank and set up a DBA - Doing Business As Account,  in the name you want on the big check and the one(s) that will be deposited.

So for example, say you are Jane Doe.  You go ahead and set up your DBA as Jane Smith.

This way you are legally using the name and don't have to jump through hoops to prove who you are.  If you want to use Jane Smith, even at work, and have checks made out to Jane Smith, then it will work because you have that DBA with your bank. But of course, since your name would be legally Jane Doe, you could still get paid under that name too.

The IRS doesn't care what you call yourself so long as your SSN is right and you pay your taxes.

This is exactly how actors get away with using a "stage name" without legally changing their name. They go by the name they want, have the DBA so they can even get paid by that name if they want... but don't have to legally change their name.   

Not to be taken as legal advice, always consult a shyster before attempting anything involving big money.

BobP

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2009, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Bob, in Florida they'll make out the check to the company, trust or LLC, but they'll still print your real name.

I'm also not sure claiming a lottery prize as a business is the way to go because of taxes, so I agree that a person should consult with an attorney or tax professional first.

Ambelamba, I always wonder why some people are so concerned with this stuff.   Concentrate on winning a little money first so you can focus your energy on something positive.   I never wonder about "what am I going to do when I win" as much as "when the heck am I finally going to win?"

Entertaiment Capital
          United States
          Member #37800
          April 19, 2006
          302 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2009, 4:21 am - IP Logged

Normally I don't even buy the tickets until the amount goes up really high. But I have some good reasons to be paranoid.

For the last few years I've made too many enemies. And it was all my fault. If I win a jackpot and go public, I will be showered by avalanche of lawsuits.

Second, I have to wait till 2011 to apply for citizenship. And it is possible that my future employer (the place where I am interning at right now) wants me to make a lot of business trips overseas. The problem is that I have a criminal record. No, it was just making a threat on the internet but it happened right after 9/11. Normally what I did would end up with probation with no jail time but back then the authorities took every small threat very seriously. The case was expunged but the USCIS doesn't give any break to anyone with very small offense.

Halle99's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            United States
            United States
            Member #68252
            December 16, 2008
            168 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2009, 4:42 am - IP Logged

I just read the winner's guide for California Lottery. The booklet makes it clear that winner's name is required to be disclosed.

But I remember that one CA jackpot winner claiming the prize anonymously. How?! Did the article give us wrong information?

One more thing. In Korea, there's a rumor that winning a US lottery jackpot will guarantee a citizenship. But outside of Korean sources, I never found this information and no verification. Is this true?

Ambelamba,

I also have read alot of CA jackpot winners have claimed anonymously esp the state lotto. 

About the "guaranteed" citizenship I also have heard alot of it esp from my freinds from the carribean and that the reason they play cos they are here illegally. I really have no clue if its true or not.

Good luck to everybody....this one(s) (are) is mine.Party

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3102 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2009, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

"Guaranteed" citizenship, no way.  While winning a big lottery jackpot isn't a path to citizenship, it doesn't hurt to be rich when you apply.  BobP