Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Check thrown away tickets

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by flpirates.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Knoxville, Tn.
United States
Member #69636
January 13, 2009
299 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2009, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Found a $50  ticket in the garbage, would like to know if anybody else checks tickets that have been thrown away, I have found several winners that people have overlooked and thrown away, just another way to make alittle money. Anybody esle found any??????

Talking Rock, GA
    United States
    Member #60369
    April 15, 2008
    398 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2009, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I haven't found any winners......but at the tobacco mart I go to when I "slow play" scratcher tickets, I do look in a box that sits next to the place where you fill out play slips, scratch tickets, etc. that they have for throwing away tickets (and just tickets, no other trash).  One time I *thought* I saw a snowman symbol on a $5 Merry Money ticket in that box (snowman = all 15 prizes)....but it turns out it was the number 8 (it's a "get x symbol and win, get y for 5x, z for all prizes"-type game).

I have found a bunch of tickets that once-upon-a-time could be mailed off for a monthly drawing, put stamps on them, and mailed them off (beats paying $20 for each.....got an entry for basically the price of a stamp for each one).  No luck....but I'll take a cheap chance to win in a second-chance drawing any day rather than shelling out $20 for a losing ticket and then mail it off. Smile

Congrats on your find!

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
      Member #48046
      December 7, 2006
      1699 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2009, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

One time last year, I fished a few out of the in-store throw away, box   for second chance drawing.

I hooked a Strike it Rich, where there was a little bonus scratch on the side, someone overlooked,

It won $15 dollars,     No luck for me on second chance though.

I don't really do scratch-offs,  so I thought it would be cool to win second chance, even though I don't buy them. 

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2009, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I fish tickets out of the trash to use as receipts for taxes.I won $4 once.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
          Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2009, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

Oh nice! Good find! I like the tickets that you can mail in for a second chance drawing.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
            NC
            United States
            Member #29378
            January 1, 2006
            552 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2009, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I've fished out at least a few hundred - but now folks are emptying the bins early in the morning and taking them home in the hampton roads area of va to check the trash... NC is a lil harder due to nc not putting win codes on their cards - this helps NC 2 fold 1. people miss winnings all the time 2. people can't self-verify a winner... Luck All, Pogo

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2009, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Found a $50  ticket in the garbage, would like to know if anybody else checks tickets that have been thrown away, I have found several winners that people have overlooked and thrown away, just another way to make alittle money. Anybody esle found any??????

I haven't found any, but congrats on your find!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                NC
                United States
                Member #29378
                January 1, 2006
                552 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2009, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Correction - Few hundred dollars worth not few hundred winning tickets... I think my biggest find was 1 ticket for like $25 & $2 - 2 tickets together... Later, Pogo

Bucks
                  United States
                  Member #62434
                  June 27, 2008
                  7 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2009, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Apparently, the word is out.  Just try to find a few stray "throwaways" in the trash cans at your local supermarket.   Chances are the kids employed at these places (and adults, too, I'd imagine) have ransacked the cans at the first sign of a discarded scratch off or two.   Yep, these are some bad times we're living in.  I must admit I am a little disappointed to see those spotless trash bins when I stop to buy a ticket.

The last few visits I made to a store that has one of those instant lottery machines out in the lobby I noticed the wastebasket sitting across from the machines.  Every single time the can was freshly lined with a new bag and not a speck of trash was present. 

Hmmm.  I can see it now:  Emptying the garbage at these places has become one of the most sought-after jobs.  The kids are probably getting into fisticuffs over whose turn it is for "trash duty."

Knoxville, Tn.
                    United States
                    Member #69636
                    January 13, 2009
                    299 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2009, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Found a $15 winner on giant jumdo bucks sunday in trash can, somebody must have went thur their paycheck or something the can was full of giant jumbo tickets and they missed a $15 winner.

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
                      Redwood City,California
                      United States
                      Member #70503
                      February 3, 2009
                      200 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2009, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I remember the time when I found a lottery scratch-off ticket on the ground.I picked it up and this lady that seemed to come from nowhere,grabed that ticket and helled on to it like it was for a millon dollars.It turned out that the ticket wasn't worth anything.If that ticket was a winner,we would have fought like cats and dogs.

Bash

Mass
                        United States
                        Member #68073
                        December 12, 2008
                        217 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2009, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Once found a $100 winner left right on a counter in a store. Always look, practice your humility and you never know. Also found a $40 and a $10 in the same small trash container. Happens....

Knoxville, Tn.
                          United States
                          Member #69636
                          January 13, 2009
                          299 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2009, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

I have got in the habit of looking everytime I stop and get my lottery stuff, was talking to a guy today about tickets in the garbage and he said last year he found a $500 jumbo bucks ticket and the girl working the counter said she was there when he found it, now that is NICE!!!!!!!!