Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What will happen to California Super Lotto Plus?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 8 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2009, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Before MegaMillions was introduced in CA, SLP was huge. The jackpot amount easily reached 40~50 millions in a few weeks. I really miss that time.

California is on the brink of bankrupcy. It's really bad in every part of the public sectors. And I don't like it when the lottery got hit, too.

See, MM doesn't guarantee a winner in Califonia every time. And I think lottery commision doesn't really care as long as people are buying the tickets. Now SLP is practically an afterthought. Gone are the days of SLP reaching 40 millions or more, I guess. Yes, there was a jackpot for 76 million dollars last week, and I fear that SLP won't go up to that amount ever again. Less and less people will play SLP. Seriously, people don't like low jackpot amount. Of course, some will argue that winning a few millions after tax is much better than suddely gaining 40~50 million bucks, because smaller prize is easier to manage.

But for me, I want something big. No, not like some 200 to 300 million dollar jackpots.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23275 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2009, 7:54 am - IP Logged

It just had a jackpot of $76 million — doesn't sound like an afterthought to me.  Of course it will not have the same level of activity as when it was the only game in town.  Gaining Mega Millions was a big plus for California lottery players.  Lotteries around the country are doing well these days.  The lottery is what you'd call "recession-proof" (largely).

Edit: I moved this in to the Jackpot Games forum.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Entertaiment Capital
      United States
      Member #37800
      April 19, 2006
      302 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2009, 1:01 am - IP Logged

It just had a jackpot of $76 million — doesn't sound like an afterthought to me.  Of course it will not have the same level of activity as when it was the only game in town.  Gaining Mega Millions was a big plus for California lottery players.  Lotteries around the country are doing well these days.  The lottery is what you'd call "recession-proof" (largely).

Edit: I moved this in to the Jackpot Games forum.

Of course it will not have the same level of activity as when it was the only game in town.

It already got worse.

The rollover rate has become really, really abysmal. It used to be 2 millions but now it's a million. SLP will never reach beyond 20 millions ever again, making it less and less attractive for lotto players.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2009, 1:49 am - IP Logged

What will happen is you will recieve an IOU for the jackpot but also get 8 x 10 glossies of your favorite politicians for free. The IRS may not be interested in your IOU which will be even more fun.