Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Seriously, do you REALLY wanna go public?!

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ambelamba.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: February 17, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

I often talk about lottery with my friends and acquaintances. And I found a very diturbing thing. They seem to have no problem with going public if they win a big one. And many of them had no idea about vultures and swindlers hawking on lottery winners.

See, I have no wish to tell anyone if I win a jackpot. Ever. Of course I won't ever announce my winning in here. I will do my every effort to remain anonymous and live a simple life.

Some of my relatives handle huge amount of money or properties for living. They are money managers and real estate developers. They taught me about the potential of personally owning millions of dollars. And it's very, very stressful. And you definitely want to keep a really low profile. My sister worked for a lawyer specialized in real estate laws, and she saw many wealthy Korean-Americans. All of them were very simple, frugal people who do not dress up or drive fancy cars.

And one rich guy told me "I think you will make it big someday. Here's a good advice. Don't ever flaunt your wealth, especially if you won it."

Kennesaw, GA
    United States
    Member #62138
    June 18, 2008
    1413 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2009, 9:14 am - IP Logged

I often talk about lottery with my friends and acquaintances. And I found a very diturbing thing. They seem to have no problem with going public if they win a big one. And many of them had no idea about vultures and swindlers hawking on lottery winners.

See, I have no wish to tell anyone if I win a jackpot. Ever. Of course I won't ever announce my winning in here. I will do my every effort to remain anonymous and live a simple life.

Some of my relatives handle huge amount of money or properties for living. They are money managers and real estate developers. They taught me about the potential of personally owning millions of dollars. And it's very, very stressful. And you definitely want to keep a really low profile. My sister worked for a lawyer specialized in real estate laws, and she saw many wealthy Korean-Americans. All of them were very simple, frugal people who do not dress up or drive fancy cars.

And one rich guy told me "I think you will make it big someday. Here's a good advice. Don't ever flaunt your wealth, especially if you won it."

I agree with you, i will remain under the radar, all the while i will live comfortable.  I had a co-worker of mine who won 20k from cash 4 and people were swarming all over him, it was only 20grand, so i cant imagine if i won millions and people found out. When people are aware that you "won" money and that you have more than you need to live off of, then they feel that it is out to ask for a handout for in their mind.." you didnt work for it".. But i would tell people on here..my true identity is not known here.  I would share advice with people who want to know how the winning process works and what i do with it

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
      Member #60535
      April 21, 2008
      460 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2009, 9:28 am - IP Logged

i agree.  I don't live in a lottery state so it probably wouldn't be that hard to keep it a secret.  To begin with I would tell no one, except my husband.  I would just pay off my house and quit my job.  I work from home so no one would really know that I quit unless they outright asked.  Never would I buy an escalade or something flashy; expensive cars make you a target for theft.  If that didn't work and people did find out out I would move to another state, buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood to blend in and not talk about where the $$ came from.

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2009, 11:06 am - IP Logged

In most states you don't have a choice...you have to do the press conference and allow the lottery to announce your name and home town.Thats how the lottery proves to the public that people DO win.Your only other choice is to not collect your winnings...and how many people would choose that option?You just need to know how to say NO to all of the slugs that come out of the woodwork with their hands out expecting you to share your winnings with them.

Michigan
          United States
          Member #59293
          March 12, 2008
          121 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2009, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

In most states you don't have a choice...you have to do the press conference and allow the lottery to announce your name and home town.Thats how the lottery proves to the public that people DO win.Your only other choice is to not collect your winnings...and how many people would choose that option?You just need to know how to say NO to all of the slugs that come out of the woodwork with their hands out expecting you to share your winnings with them.

what if you start receiving death, kidnap threats? or someone robs you at gun point? or comes into your house and robs you?

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            885 Posts
            Posted: February 18, 2009, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't want to go public after a jackpot but the lottery corporation here says in their rules that you have to do publicity after a large win.. I would move as soon as I could because people would be driving by your house or at your door or calling you looking for money.. All the vulturs would come out..

I want to move anyway, so the money would help me to move that much faster..

Coffee

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
              Member #63356
              July 26, 2008
              1427 Posts
              Posted: February 18, 2009, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Very true.  But if you won enough dough get a body guard.  See, maybe you don't tell anybody, but there could be a crook working for the lottery commission that could do you in.

As for me?  I will check into a high class hotel the night I win and live there until I cash my ticket in.  You know where to find me.  No, I will NOT tell anyone other than my sister, who will also be in the hotel suite with me.  As for my brother?  No, I would not tell him, he can't be trusted, he can out talk a radio.

Once I get my hands on the dough via a lawyer and whatnots, I'll fly out to California to visit my friends and look around for a small house, revisit some of the places I like and then fly over to Hawaii for a vacation.  ahh!  I need one bad! 

Then there comes reality, once I get back to my home state, what to do?  Pack up, drop some money on my sister so she can retire if she would want to and buy a house.  Then get going on a world wide trip to all the places I would want to visit before its too late.    If they can find me they would be spending a lot of money and time! LOL!

Telling people I won that are not within my circle now wouldn't be wise, especially in this economy. 

Without dreams there would not be reality.

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: February 18, 2009, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

what if you start receiving death, kidnap threats? or someone robs you at gun point? or comes into your house and robs you?

Call a cop?

The point I was making is that under the rules of most American lotterys you CANNOT remain anonymous.Its against their rules.

Entertaiment Capital
                  United States
                  Member #37800
                  April 19, 2006
                  302 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2009, 2:02 am - IP Logged

I live in Cali. California allows a trust to claim the jackpot prize.