Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Self-Service Lottery Machines in New York City

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 years ago by MysteryMan424.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #63832
August 9, 2008
16 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2009, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

Do they exist? I've been running into a surpising number of people in the lines of the two stores I normally go to. Does the city or state have them at all? I know they do in California but I have yet to see them here. The only self-service lottery machine I've seen here was a vending machine for scratchers in a grocery store. Just wondering, i'm sure people who want to play a lot, perhaps the day after a nice win, would rather use a machine than have to wait for someone to slip them all through and create a line.

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
    Pelham NY
    United States
    Member #60411
    April 16, 2008
    169 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2009, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

The problem with self service machines in NYC is how do you prevent minors from using them. The obvious solution is to only have them in bars. The only self service machine I've seen in a bar is the one for the quick draw game, and its out of order.

United States
      Member #63832
      August 9, 2008
      16 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2009, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Well,  I guess you wouldn't be able to prevent minors from using the scratcher machines any easier, unless you constantly check ID. It's not like they can claim the prize, unless its under 600 and they don't get an ID check and get paid in cash (I assume any retailer writing a check would ID). But I know a lot of places in CA keep their machines near their checkout in the line of sight. I'm wondering if the machines even exist in NY, for the regular draw games. I heard about the Quick Draw machine actually, now that I think about it, someone mentioned it to me once. But I believe I asked them if it did normal games and they said no, either that or they only played QD

lottery lady's avatar - nicebear
        Illinois
        United States
        Member #1718
        June 21, 2003
        4827 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2009, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Hi i live in Illinois and we have the self serve lottery machines.  I've seen them in our Jewels grocery stores.

I have used them a few times. You can punch in your number or use the play slips.

You can play all lottery games on them.

United States
          Member #63832
          August 9, 2008
          16 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2009, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Well they sure are convinent anyway. Except once I bought for a pool and got a fair deal of money stuck in the machine, out of paper or paper jam malfuction. That wasn't fun.

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2009, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Do they exist? I've been running into a surpising number of people in the lines of the two stores I normally go to. Does the city or state have them at all? I know they do in California but I have yet to see them here. The only self-service lottery machine I've seen here was a vending machine for scratchers in a grocery store. Just wondering, i'm sure people who want to play a lot, perhaps the day after a nice win, would rather use a machine than have to wait for someone to slip them all through and create a line.

What is the difference if the line is at the counter or at the machine?A long wait is a long wait,no matter where the line is.

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
              Pelham NY
              United States
              Member #60411
              April 16, 2008
              169 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2009, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

When I'm at the racetrack I like to use the SAM machines. It's better for triples and multi-race bets. Also there is always someone there to help if something goes wrong.