Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

help with conditional formating in EXCEL

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 years ago by phileight.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #41846
June 23, 2006
460 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2009, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

A   B  C  D

I need some help with conditional formatting. 3 conditions I can do.  I want 4.  Given the  data above  the 1 2 3 4 is the test condition, the other #’s are the data to be tested. I can’t get the row #’s to show up correctly.  If row 3 col A is = to row 1 col A or B or C or D set font color red , If row 3 colB is = to row 1 col A or B or C or D set font color to blue etc. different   color for each col test condition.

Thanks for any help

P8

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2009, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

try something like this

if cells(row,column) = cells(row,column) then cells(row,column).interior.colorindex = 3

This code must be placed inside a VBA module.  Then you can run the code either from the "Tools-Macro" button from the tool bar or create a run button labeled "Run me" or "Run This" or whatever.

United States
      Member #41846
      June 23, 2006
      460 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2009, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

try something like this

if cells(row,column) = cells(row,column) then cells(row,column).interior.colorindex = 3

This code must be placed inside a VBA module.  Then you can run the code either from the "Tools-Macro" button from the tool bar or create a run button labeled "Run me" or "Run This" or whatever.

Gasmeterguy

thanks for the help.  I follow the logic and with the syntax i think i can do this part.  how to start the program still eludes me.

my basic idea is to place my guess in say a1,b1,c1,d1  then use a for next loop for say last 50 games to see the patterns that the numbers in the target comb form in past draws.  the winning number is frequently in a one touch pattern often several times, but difficult to see.

thanks

p8

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2009, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Go to my blog.  I have some information about
        Excel there; how to get to VBA; how to start a program.

Now I am a rank amatuer when it comes to VBA programming.  There are others on this site that have much more expertise than I.  I know what I want and how to get there.  It ain't pretty but it works and that is all I care about.

Perhaps a "professional" will step in and guide you.  Until then, I will keep an  eye on this thread.

United States
          Member #41846
          June 23, 2006
          460 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2009, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

gasmeterguy

thanks for the help. i have a working file. a couple of questions if I may.  once i run this various cells are colored in just as i want.  what code returns them to original color or default background.  i can create another loop to clear if i knew what color # to use.  you said create button to start this. I have no clue where to start.  i will include the code i have.   again thanks.

Public Sub COLOR()

For X = 4 To 30'  ROW 4 THRU 30
          For Y = 2 To 5 '  COL BCDE

If Cells(2, 2) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
          If Cells(2, 3) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
          If Cells(2, 4) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 5
          If Cells(2, 5) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 6

Next Y
          Next X

End Sub

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2009, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Interior.ColorIndex = 0

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
              Member #41846
              June 23, 2006
              460 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2009, 9:06 am - IP Logged

Interior.ColorIndex = 0

time*treat

thanks. That was one of those duh moments, hour or so  after i posted the question it occured to me to use a loop with incremented # to find the answer, something i've done for years in gwbasic.

I could use help with syntax for a user input.  the equivalent to gwbasic    input" whatever ";x$

computer provides a prompt and waits for you to hit enter key. 

even simple things are difficult when you don't understand them.

thanks

p8

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2009, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Sub input_box_example()
                  'by time*treat'

Dim var_name As Integer

var_name = Application.InputBox("Prompt goes here", "box title goes here", Type:=1)

'type = 1, for integers'

Cells(1, 1).Value = var_name
                End Sub

Using f8 key to step throuth this one will show you how it works. The "type:=1" statement adds a bit of idiot-proofing so that if you enter a letter then it will prompt you to try again. If you enter 123, then the value of var_name becomes 123.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2009, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

time*treat

thanks. That was one of those duh moments, hour or so  after i posted the question it occured to me to use a loop with incremented # to find the answer, something i've done for years in gwbasic.

I could use help with syntax for a user input.  the equivalent to gwbasic    input" whatever ";x$

computer provides a prompt and waits for you to hit enter key. 

even simple things are difficult when you don't understand them.

thanks

p8

If you understand GWBasic, why not use it to write an application to do what you want?  I've written all my lottery applications using it and complied them using a Quick Basic complier which allows the programs to be larger.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #41846
                    June 23, 2006
                    460 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2009, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

time treat thanks  i believe another light just came on.  i'm sure I will have more questions as I progress.

RJOH  I enjoy Gwbasic and would prefer to continue using it.  XP and Vista barely support it.  I have found i have to use Gwbasic to create output files that I then inport to excel so I can see them.  I have bought a couple of books on VB  just have never been able(maybe willing) to get started.  this year my goal is to learn enough VB VBA to convert what I consider my useful GWBasic files to VBA.

thanks again for the help

p8

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2009, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

time treat thanks  i believe another light just came on.  i'm sure I will have more questions as I progress.

RJOH  I enjoy Gwbasic and would prefer to continue using it.  XP and Vista barely support it.  I have found i have to use Gwbasic to create output files that I then inport to excel so I can see them.  I have bought a couple of books on VB  just have never been able(maybe willing) to get started.  this year my goal is to learn enough VB VBA to convert what I consider my useful GWBasic files to VBA.

thanks again for the help

p8

I too bought Quick Basic and Visual Basic intending to learn them and never learned either well enough to write a program.  It has just been too easy to keep using GWBasic since newer versions of Window had a command window that supported DOS type programs.  I never moved up to Vista but I haven't had any trouble running my programs with XP and I hope Window 7 will do the same as I don't plan to upgrade my computer until the next version of Windows comes out.

I'm also surprised to see the latest versions of commercial lottery programs from Gail Howard , Versa Bet and others are still DOS type programs that run in the command window.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #41846
                        June 23, 2006
                        460 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2009, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

RJOH

perhaps it's lack of knowledge on my part but the computers i have tried with xp and vista would not support the lower resolution needed to view gwbasic.  the display is so poor i can barely read it.  it is forceing me to move on before my old computer dies.  maybe thats a good thing.  learning something new keeps the brain cells working, as I get older they need all the exercise I can give them.

time*treat or anyone who would like to jump in, i used okay modified your input code and i have a semi working program macro whatever it it would be called. this is my code so far:

Public Sub main()

For X = 4 To 30 '  ROW 4 THRU 30

If Cells(2, 2) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
                        If Cells(2, 3) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
                        If Cells(2, 4) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 5
                        If Cells(2, 5) = Cells(X, Y) Then Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 6

Next Y
                        Next X
                        'Public Sub input_box_example()
                          'by time*treat'

Dim var_name As Integer

c2 = Application.InputBox("col 2", "data", Type:=1)
                        c3 = Application.InputBox("col 3", "data", Type:=1)
                        c4 = Application.InputBox("col 4", "data", Type:=1)
                        c5 = Application.InputBox("col 5", "data", Type:=1)

'type = 1, for integers'

Cells(2, 2).Value = c2
                         Cells(2, 3).Value = c3
                         Cells(2, 4).Value = c4
                         Cells(2, 5).Value = c5

For X = 4 To 30 '  ROW 4 THRU 30

Cells(X, Y).Interior.ColorIndex = 0

Next Y
                        Next X

End Sub

question  as you can see it takes my initial data in spreadsheet and colors previous data as i wanted,  lets me input the next set of numbers i want to look at, then clears the first colors.

how do i get this to loop until i'm done instead of having to restart it each time?

how do i call a subroutine from within this code?

thanks for any help

p8

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2009, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

"how do i get this to loop until i'm done instead of having to restart it each time?"

You'd have to set some condition and check it periodically; usually another loop. How do you know when you're done?

"how do i call a subroutine from within this code?"

If you are NOT going to pass any info (values) from one to the other ....

sub marco()

'do stuff'

polo

'back from polo to do some other stuff'

end sub

sub polo()

'arrive from marco to do stuff over here'

end sub

... otherwise, it's more complex.

United States
                            Member #41846
                            June 23, 2006
                            460 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2009, 6:50 am - IP Logged

I did try this and a dozen variations yesterday, i did have another issue going on  code break finally figured that out using the help file.

thanks for your help. for now keeping it simple is where i need to be untill i understand the basics.

p8

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2009, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I too bought Quick Basic and Visual Basic intending to learn them and never learned either well enough to write a program.  It has just been too easy to keep using GWBasic since newer versions of Window had a command window that supported DOS type programs.  I never moved up to Vista but I haven't had any trouble running my programs with XP and I hope Window 7 will do the same as I don't plan to upgrade my computer until the next version of Windows comes out.

I'm also surprised to see the latest versions of commercial lottery programs from Gail Howard , Versa Bet and others are still DOS type programs that run in the command window.

The inertia of using what I already know has kept me from learning newer languages, even though I have bought books on them.

The old code still works. Even though I'm using a newer version of Excel, I'm still using VBA books I bought several years ago.