Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is Europe Euromillions & the world so Behind the USA

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 8 years ago by CARBOB.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2009, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

There is something i don't understand can someone explain this to me...Why is Euromillions played once a week, for crying out loud is a multi-country game...What people in Europe don't play lottery is it like a taboo over there? I think the population of Europe is larger than the USA and even if it wasn't it should still be bigger than the USA because there is more population in lots of European countries than in some US states...Not only that but i think it cost 1 dollar and 50 cents for the Euromillions.....

Something i don't understand, how can a lotto that is played in 14 states get to 212 million and a lotto of an entire Continent don't even reach 100 million...

Why isn't there a MultiASia Lotto or a MultiAfricana Lotto...Why is the world so behind when there is hundreds of millions of people in the world besides the USA...

Europe if you are listening you need to charge 2 or 3 dollars per ticket for the EuroMillions....That  way 3 or 4 times a year the jackpot will grow to 300 million or 400 million...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2009, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

There is something i don't understand can someone explain this to me...Why is Euromillions played once a week, for crying out loud is a multi-country game...What people in Europe don't play lottery is it like a taboo over there? I think the population of Europe is larger than the USA and even if it wasn't it should still be bigger than the USA because there is more population in lots of European countries than in some US states...Not only that but i think it cost 1 dollar and 50 cents for the Euromillions.....

Something i don't understand, how can a lotto that is played in 14 states get to 212 million and a lotto of an entire Continent don't even reach 100 million...

Why isn't there a MultiASia Lotto or a MultiAfricana Lotto...Why is the world so behind when there is hundreds of millions of people in the world besides the USA...

Europe if you are listening you need to charge 2 or 3 dollars per ticket for the EuroMillions....That  way 3 or 4 times a year the jackpot will grow to 300 million or 400 million...

People in Europe might quit playing the lottery if you doubled or tripled the price of a ticket.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
      Member #9517
      December 10, 2004
      1272 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2009, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Probably because there isn't market for more (frequent) lotteries. Many european countries participate in a multi country lottery and also got one or several national lotteries. Usually the national lottery is being drawn on saturdays while the multi country lotteries (Euromillions and VikingLotto) are drawn on ordinary weekdays. The jackpot doesn't get so high since there's not a lot of powerty in Europe and people doesn't feel the need to gamble to raise some extra cash. When we got a national lottery in Norway in 1986 the cost of playing one line was NOK 1.00 (US$ 1 = NOK 7.00).. Now it costs NOK 4.00. Incredible price increase or what? The jackpot has increased by four times also of course.

Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2009, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Africa as a continent has no infrastructure to support a lottery system (ie: telco to transmit ticket info across the countries) and many regions in Africa are very unstable.

In case of Asia, the level of economy is so different by nations. And doing a multi-nation lottery in Asia will cause a great headache. (disputes over sharing the profits, protecting the identity of the winners and stuff)

United Kingdom
          Member #31295
          January 27, 2006
          73 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2009, 3:42 am - IP Logged

By coincidence there's a £85million Euromillions superdraw this week.

But at £1.50 per ticket and little or no prospect of winning anything, I dont think that many people can be bothered to play. Sometimes I may play it once a year and buy a couple of tickets but no amount of money will force me to play again.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2009, 5:33 am - IP Logged

euro isworth more and the prize is a lump sum and tax free i think

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

paurths's avatar - underground
              Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
              Belgium
              Member #19287
              July 29, 2005
              2254 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2009, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

The price is not $1.5

They already charge $2.5 per ticket (per combination of 5 + 2)

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2009, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

The price is not $1.5

They already charge $2.5 per ticket (per combination of 5 + 2)

Damn!!!

If they want to make more people play they will have to increase the jackpot...

The only alternative left is to raise the matrix...

Europe you need to raise the matrix to 60....I think that's the only way it will increase to 200 million dollars...

Europe is starting to remind me of Utah...

i don't understand if people are so concern with the lottery been to gamblish they why don't they put caps on the tickets, caps like the maximum a person can spend is 10 dollars...or stuff like that...Or issue a card....

There is something i don't understand i will say the majority of states in the USA got 5-6 million people...And MegaMillions is played i think is in 14 states...

the population of Italy alone is what? 70 million? and Germany what 60 million? Those 2 countries alone...

but got one question does Euromillions extend to eastern europe or is it just western europe...What about the balkans...What about Russia...

i think the population of russia i can't remember is 141 million or 188 million i can't remember....And even so MegaMillions get to 200 million the only sad part is that they take 50% + 8% more in taxes...or so i think...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2009, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

you know what i think the answer is: RETAILERS...Europe doesn't have enough retailers as the USA plus if you look at the map Europe or western europe is more to northern latitudes where is colder if you look at the map europe looks like is in equal with Canada and not the USA...

not only that but i think there are more cars in the USA than in Europe but i could be wrong...

so people in Europe  think twice whether to go in the cold and drive a good distance for a ticket...If Retailers in Europe were within walking distances, then who knows the jackpot will have grown even bigger...

and is the price of gas cheaper in the USA or in Europe? That will tell alot...

infracture wise [road wise] even though both regions are good Europe lags the USA i think a little...Even including Western Europe...

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2009, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

and i am willing to make an observation even though don't know if it will hold true...But i am willing to bet that the regions/provinces/states where the is more roads there will be more winners....Population size might not do it but road count might...

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2009, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Behind? With Euromillions if the jackpot is $100 million in Euros you get a check for that amount. The full amount. In the US you will soon be lucky to get 20% of the jackpot. Who's really behind?

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                        Member #9517
                        December 10, 2004
                        1272 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2009, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Behind? With Euromillions if the jackpot is $100 million in Euros you get a check for that amount. The full amount. In the US you will soon be lucky to get 20% of the jackpot. Who's really behind?

That's correct. As far as I know, there's no taxes on government run lotteries in Europe. 50% of the money spent on lottery tickets still go back to the players as prize money.

Belgium
                          Member #19287
                          July 29, 2005
                          2254 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2009, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Damn!!!

If they want to make more people play they will have to increase the jackpot...

The only alternative left is to raise the matrix...

Europe you need to raise the matrix to 60....I think that's the only way it will increase to 200 million dollars...

Europe is starting to remind me of Utah...

i don't understand if people are so concern with the lottery been to gamblish they why don't they put caps on the tickets, caps like the maximum a person can spend is 10 dollars...or stuff like that...Or issue a card....

There is something i don't understand i will say the majority of states in the USA got 5-6 million people...And MegaMillions is played i think is in 14 states...

the population of Italy alone is what? 70 million? and Germany what 60 million? Those 2 countries alone...

but got one question does Euromillions extend to eastern europe or is it just western europe...What about the balkans...What about Russia...

i think the population of russia i can't remember is 141 million or 188 million i can't remember....And even so MegaMillions get to 200 million the only sad part is that they take 50% + 8% more in taxes...or so i think...

If i am still up to date, euromillions can be played in the following countries:France, England, Spain, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switserland, Portugal, Ireland and Austria.

You are taking even Russia into account.
                          Why stop there?
                          Why not involve the USA in your calculations? lol

lasas3

Belgium
                            Member #19287
                            July 29, 2005
                            2254 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2009, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

you know what i think the answer is: RETAILERS...Europe doesn't have enough retailers as the USA plus if you look at the map Europe or western europe is more to northern latitudes where is colder if you look at the map europe looks like is in equal with Canada and not the USA...

not only that but i think there are more cars in the USA than in Europe but i could be wrong...

so people in Europe  think twice whether to go in the cold and drive a good distance for a ticket...If Retailers in Europe were within walking distances, then who knows the jackpot will have grown even bigger...

and is the price of gas cheaper in the USA or in Europe? That will tell alot...

infracture wise [road wise] even though both regions are good Europe lags the USA i think a little...Even including Western Europe...

Believe me, people don't have to drive far to be able to buy a ticket.
                            You make it sound like people need to take a vacation to be able to get a hold of a ticket.

But you're right, there are only like 36 retailers for the 9 countries that do Euromillions... makes only 4 per country Jester

The price of gas in Europe, approx. $4.8 per gallon.

And ofcourse we are still on the brink of discovering the construction of roads.

lasas3

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                              United States
                              Member #4924
                              June 3, 2004
                              5912 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2009, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Believe me, people don't have to drive far to be able to buy a ticket.
                              You make it sound like people need to take a vacation to be able to get a hold of a ticket.

But you're right, there are only like 36 retailers for the 9 countries that do Euromillions... makes only 4 per country Jester

The price of gas in Europe, approx. $4.8 per gallon.

And ofcourse we are still on the brink of discovering the construction of roads.

Ricky, I know you are jesting!! I drove on some very, very nice "roads",(autobahns) in Germany, in the early 70's. Also some very nice "roads" throughout Europe.