Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who owns what?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Monkey Butt, USA
United States
Member #54569
August 23, 2007
1124 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2009, 10:49 am - IP Logged

You find a batch of lottery tickets on the side of the road/street, in the garbage, in the parking lot, etc., as far as you know they have not been reported lost or stolen. Do you keep, scratch, and cash them in?  Is that considered theft? If so, why? If not, why?

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2009, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I would return it, or call it in and report the find, don't want to get mixed with the reason why they were lost/stolen.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19815 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2009, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

You should know since you didn't pay for them and they weren't  given to you by someone who did, they don't belong to you. Thinking other wise make you a thief.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
        The Great Smoky Mountains
        United States
        Member #59921
        March 31, 2008
        266 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2009, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

I would return them to the lottery office or the Police dept.

You know that LOTTERY KARMA WILL COME BACK AND  BITE THAT A@@.

I beleive in doing the right things cause it will come back around,And you knows it could have been a little old lady on a walk with her pup to the Lottery store to cash them in. who knows.

People Do the RIGHT things in life.

Be Honest and fair.

Congrats to the guy/gal who returned them.hes/shes the real winner.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2009, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure why some people consider finding some scratch-off tickets in the garbage theft? I suppose if it is a whole bunch of them and they haven't been scratched then I would probably contact the lottery offices to see what the deal is, but when did finding things in the garbage start making people thieves?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2009, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure why some people consider finding some scratch-off tickets in the garbage theft? I suppose if it is a whole bunch of them and they haven't been scratched then I would probably contact the lottery offices to see what the deal is, but when did finding things in the garbage start making people thieves?

Why would anyone be digging through someone elses garbage in the first place?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19815 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2009, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

That's what thieves do.  Sometimes they even do the same in people homes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2009, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I have heard of some people doing it. There was a story posted here of one guy who found a winning scratch off ticket in the garbage. Lots of people go through the trash to find tickets. I'm not one of them, but quite a few people go "dumpster diving" to find furniture and other things that still can be used but people throw away.

ETA: You know what, I just deleted my other post. I am not going to get into an argument over what is "robbery" to some people and what isn't. If you want to keep your stuff you shouldn't throw it away. That way, nobody can rob you of stuff that you had planned to throw away in the first place.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #53121
                  June 24, 2007
                  6498 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2009, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

turn them in 1st.. got to make sure they were not stolen and the person/persons who stole them threw them away.. then if you found them and cashed the tickets in, you might get charged with theft... make sure they are legit, then i see no problem with keeping the tickets

Quoted by favor4:

Your winning number is not under attack. It's about to HIT. So Hang In There"

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4053 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2009, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

With that many lottery tickets a person should know that they were stolen or lost, therefore "finders Keepers" does not appy. 

That's like finding an extremely large amont of money with the bank bands still attached.  Grown people know what's wrong and what's right.  They just try to justify the things that they do.  I can understand a teenager not knowing what the do - their frontal lobes aren't developed yet.

takeemtothebank

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
                      Redwood City,California
                      United States
                      Member #70503
                      February 3, 2009
                      200 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2009, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

There is an old saying "Finders keepers losers weepers". I'd take them to the local police department.They would check to see if they were stolen from a local merchant. If they were not,the police department would hold them for thirty days and if no one claimed the tickets "IT'S YOURS". End of story.Smiley

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10344 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2009, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

You find a batch of lottery tickets on the side of the road/street, in the garbage, in the parking lot, etc., as far as you know they have not been reported lost or stolen. Do you keep, scratch, and cash them in?  Is that considered theft? If so, why? If not, why?

If they hadn't been scanned in they wouldn't be valid to be played.

If you scratched them and had what you thought to be a winner (you'd be told, "Well, you have a winning ticket that was never scanned in anywhere), attempting to cash it would make you automatically suspect.

If they had been scanned, either way you'd have a sticky wicket on your hands. If you put an ad in the paper's Lost & Found, good luck on figuring out who the real owner was.

The best bet, as already mentioned, would be to turn them into the lottery or the police- hoping you didn't read an article in the near future about someone from either place retiring early!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2009, 4:09 am - IP Logged

He who tries to cash in on what isn't his'n

takes a chance on going to pris'n

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.