Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 1:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Honest Are You?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 8 years ago by trulyblessed.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you hit for an amount over $500 when do you go to the lottery office?

Go to several stores and collect $500 each [ 27 ]  [79.41%]
Go to the lottery offices [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10391 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2009, 2:16 am - IP Logged

Taking advantage of separate payouts doesn't mean anyone is dishonest.

In Illinois, when you play a Pick 3 playslip, for every game that was played you get a separate ticket.

That's almost implying they want you to cah them separately, no?

One of the attractions of the Pick 3 is it's not taxed.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2009, 3:19 am - IP Logged

In Illinois, when you play a Pick 3 playslip, for every game that was played you get a separate ticket.

I Agree! If I had multiple winning Pick 3 tickets, I would take them to different stores and cash them instead of all at once at the lottery office. I don't see it as being dishonest.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3502 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2009, 5:35 am - IP Logged

Thank you..... I've shown this post to the people I work with and they seem amazed that this can be done and it's all tax free if you do it separately. lol

Sun Smiley

What  part of Justx' post was confusing? It's not tax free, it's just not reported. That's not exactly a subtle distinction.

The lotteries and the IRS both know that most people would rather not report the income, and the lotteries seem to just nod and wink when small payments are  made at a lottery office, or multiple tickets that were obviously played together turn out to be winners. While even really small winnings are taxable, I suspect the IRS doesn't really have much interest in it, either. As a practical matter they know that very few people win more than they wager, and even if somebody comes out ahead this year, by next year they'll  probably be back to even or be back in the hole.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: March 6, 2009, 8:06 am - IP Logged

Thank you..... I've shown this post to the people I work with and they seem amazed that this can be done and it's all tax free if you do it separately. lol

Sun Smiley

There is an option on the Ohio Lottery pick-3 bet slips that allows players to play any type of wager (straight, box, front pair, etc.) multiple times. It could be difficult cashing ten tickets the next day unless you know a store that has that much cash on hand or you may have to go to several stores.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
          MICHIGAN
          United States
          Member #65282
          September 22, 2008
          2007 Posts
          Posted: March 6, 2009, 9:04 am - IP Logged

anything over 500.00  u will have to go to the lottery office.

i knew an older guy who played 1028 bx for $1.00 (50) times. I said WOW

but he didn't pay any taxes.  1.00 bx is $208.  NO TAXES  How cool is that.

U can just take your time and cash the tickets as needed.

Jack-C's avatar - us
            San Diego, CA
            United States
            Member #61467
            May 24, 2008
            28146 Posts
            Posted: March 6, 2009, 9:12 am - IP Logged

anything over 500.00  u will have to go to the lottery office.

i knew an older guy who played 1028 bx for $1.00 (50) times. I said WOW

but he didn't pay any taxes.  1.00 bx is $208.  NO TAXES  How cool is that.

U can just take your time and cash the tickets as needed.

It is $600 not $500.  This is from the Michigan Lottery web site:

Do I Have to Pay Taxes on My Winnings?

Answer:

All Michigan Lottery prizes are subject to federal, state and local income taxes.  The Lottery is required by law to report to the IRS all winnings greater than $600.  The Lottery is required by law to withhold estimated taxes at the rate of 25 percent (federal) and 4.35 percent (state) for any prize over $5,000 paid to a U.S. resident.  Winners of prizes greater than $600 will receive a W2-G form, detailing prize payment and taxes, in January to be filed with their yearly federal, state and local income taxes.  Non-U.S. residents winning prizes of greater than $600 are subject to a flat 30 percent estimated federal withholding rate as well as the 4.35 percent state withholding rate and will receive a 1042 form detailing prize payment and taxes in February.

trulyblessed's avatar - yocco
              Durham, North Carolina
              United States
              Member #58710
              February 23, 2008
              6882 Posts
              Posted: March 6, 2009, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

NC Pick 3 currenly prints a ticket for each number you play separately. I've only seen one person on the winners page that cashed in a pick 3 at the lottery office. That was when we first got pick 3 and this person was from NJ!!!! They took 2 $500 tickets to the NC lottery office to cash it in.

I think that if you were to win $2000 in pick 3 it's ok to cash them in at separate places. Honesty comes when you do your taxes. You are suppose to report any income you made no matter where it came from.

Lovies

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                NC
                United States
                Member #11741
                February 23, 2005
                1233 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2009, 10:29 am - IP Logged

In the state of NC they want their money and if they find out you collected that way without paying taxes on it then you will be in trouble.  We pay the highest taxes around....welll maybe not as much as California but we are waaaaaaaaaay up there.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                  NC
                  United States
                  Member #11741
                  February 23, 2005
                  1233 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2009, 10:37 am - IP Logged

What  part of Justx' post was confusing? It's not tax free, it's just not reported. That's not exactly a subtle distinction.

The lotteries and the IRS both know that most people would rather not report the income, and the lotteries seem to just nod and wink when small payments are  made at a lottery office, or multiple tickets that were obviously played together turn out to be winners. While even really small winnings are taxable, I suspect the IRS doesn't really have much interest in it, either. As a practical matter they know that very few people win more than they wager, and even if somebody comes out ahead this year, by next year they'll  probably be back to even or be back in the hole.

It is tax free if you don't pay taxes on it because #1. No paperwork is done so you will be taxed.  And not it's not the lottery office that's not reporting it, its you not reporting it.  So how would they know to tax you?

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                    NC
                    United States
                    Member #11741
                    February 23, 2005
                    1233 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2009, 10:39 am - IP Logged

NC Pick 3 currenly prints a ticket for each number you play separately. I've only seen one person on the winners page that cashed in a pick 3 at the lottery office. That was when we first got pick 3 and this person was from NJ!!!! They took 2 $500 tickets to the NC lottery office to cash it in.

I think that if you were to win $2000 in pick 3 it's ok to cash them in at separate places. Honesty comes when you do your taxes. You are suppose to report any income you made no matter where it came from.

I Agree!

TB, I think a lot of ppl are getting confused or maybe I am confused Oogle but it seems as, If they do a playslip and chose 568 on a $5.00 ticket, Its like they get 1 ticket for 568 X 5 times or something.

You are right, b/c in NC if you mark your ticket 568 in each play area then you get 5 separate tickets and that way you can take them to different stores to collect. 

KM

KZM

trulyblessed's avatar - yocco
                      Durham, North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #58710
                      February 23, 2008
                      6882 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2009, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

TB, I think a lot of ppl are getting confused or maybe I am confused Oogle but it seems as, If they do a playslip and chose 568 on a $5.00 ticket, Its like they get 1 ticket for 568 X 5 times or something.

You are right, b/c in NC if you mark your ticket 568 in each play area then you get 5 separate tickets and that way you can take them to different stores to collect. 

KM

Some states do separate tickets, some don't.

Lovies