Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should lottery retailers have money on hand to pay winners with?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Steven948.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2009, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Here in South Florida all the small towns (they insist on calling themselves cities) are back to back like one big rambling city.  You wouldn't know where they begin or end if they didn't put signs up. 

The supermarkets are always the best bet for cashing a lottery ticket. 

Frankly I wouldn't want to be walking from the 7/11 to my car with everyone hanging around knowing I just cashed in a $500 winner. 

Their wanting to pay with one of the money orders they sell should be fine for anyone who doesn't have a banking problem.   Even if you have a spouse problem, I don't think it shows up in your statement if you cash it at your bank, though a deposit certainly would.

Even if they always kept enough cash on hand for one winner, they would have two. 

Another thing that has gone on with larger retail chains, some twisted genius realized they could rake in a sizeable ball of pure profit cash by reducing the size of the stores' change fund.    Stores that used to go into the weekend with three or four grand in singles, fives and change now work with half that and are often reduced to begging for change from their smaller neighbors.

BobP

I wouldn't want to work at a 7/11 with everyone hanging around knowing I had the cash on hand to pay out $500 winners. Shocked

There's a lot of garbage in the world.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2009, 10:01 am - IP Logged

It's best to go to a major grocery store chain.  I don't waste my time going to the other places.

takeemtothebank

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
      Member #391
      June 8, 2002
      16076 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2009, 10:48 am - IP Logged

MaddMike51

I think the answer is right here in front of you, after being told to come back later when the store was to have the cash, they should have had the cash, no if's and's or but's. That is where the problem is. That store and it's manager has a lot to learn about "Customer Service". My advice to you is to take your lottery business elsewhere. But before you do, make this store and it's manager pay up as they promised to do.

Complain to the Lottery Headquarters, (fat chance they will do anything) unless enough people complain, about what happened to you.

I have been in this situation many times when I worked in New Jersey and purchased my daily numbers game tickets and lottery tickets during the day (at lunch time) and before I left to go home at night. I live in New York, at the time I worked in New Jersey and played the New Jersey games.

I often hit the daily numbers games, Pick-3 and Pick-4.

Those times when I hit the Pick-3 when they didn't have the cash on hand say "lunch time" I was told to come back later when they had the cash on hand. That little "Gift Shop" in a hotel always had the money when I came back, and it was because I was a regular and bringing business to them and they didn't want to lose that business.

The bottom line, any place you go and do business, get to know the people the manager etc., and when they make you a promise, hold them to it.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2009, 11:35 am - IP Logged

MaddMike, I can understand your frustration.  You don't have the same options as urban area players.  The guy that told you to come back and still didn't pay you is an a#$h*le and shouldn't be allowed to sell lottery tickets much less manage a store or stock shelves.  Find a good local retailer and stick to Iowa games.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2009, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

MaddMike, I can understand your frustration.  You don't have the same options as urban area players.  The guy that told you to come back and still didn't pay you is an a#$h*le and shouldn't be allowed to sell lottery tickets much less manage a store or stock shelves.  Find a good local retailer and stick to Iowa games.

Rick G,thats good advice,but Iowa doesn't sell Mega Million tickets,which was the reason my wife went to Illinois in the first place.She just happened to buy a few scratch off tickets while she was there.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2009, 1:11 am - IP Logged

i think it will make easy targets [the retailers] for robbers...

there is already a lot of gas stations robbing...

Stop the presses !

The is the FIRST posting you have ever made that I agree with !

Now I can die a happy man.

spookysoozy's avatar - acepent
              South Georgia
              United States
              Member #100
              January 28, 2002
              3734 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2009, 2:16 am - IP Logged

you could always call first.

I am fortunate in that I have a store owner who drives me to the bank and writes me a check there if it is a few grand or more.  He looks after my safety and his and makes his money too.

Small towns are great if you can get to know the people.

as they fell in the past, Ga first. 1=0, 0=1

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

Michigan
                United States
                Member #59293
                March 12, 2008
                121 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2009, 4:42 am - IP Logged

no retailer is obligated to cash any ticket. they have the right to refuse to cash even a dollar winner