Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Not winning.

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 8 years ago by LotteryGuy.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How do you handle the disappointment?

Say "My time will come." [ 76 ]  [69.09%]
Never again, I give up. [ 3 ]  [2.73%]
Fifth of Vodka. [ 8 ]  [7.27%]
I play for entertainment. LOL [ 23 ]  [20.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 110 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #50386
March 5, 2007
19 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2009, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Everyone plays to win. When YOU didn't win this past  $216 Mega Millions jackpot how did you feel and handle the disappointment.  Many years ago I would be in a slump for days. Now I only hope for the best and remain postive no matter what!  Thanks to this site we can all have a plan.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2009, 11:24 am - IP Logged

I don't play Mega Millions, so I didn't feel anything by not winning. Wink But when I play other games and don't win, I just try again. That is all I really can do.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
      Member #50386
      March 5, 2007
      19 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2009, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't play Mega Millions, so I didn't feel anything by not winning. Wink But when I play other games and don't win, I just try again. That is all I really can do.

I should have phrased a more generic win. Mega Millions , PowerBall, etc. A life changing amount.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        Gurnee, Illinois
        United States
        Member #49731
        February 12, 2007
        917 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2009, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Everyone plays to win. When YOU didn't win this past  $216 Mega Millions jackpot how did you feel and handle the disappointment.  Many years ago I would be in a slump for days. Now I only hope for the best and remain postive no matter what!  Thanks to this site we can all have a plan.

Can't say I would feel depressed after not winning a huge jackpot prize as I know the prize isn't mine UNLESS my ticket matches all 6 numbers...so I never really "lost" out.  Now I have been in a slump for days on those few occasions I had the notion to play a certain line of numbers and for various reasons didn't only to have them roll in that next drawing.  Now I am not talking about huge numbers of wheels or combinations like some folks who try to employ the use of different "systems".  No these were usually just spur of the moment hunches or the age old "play your lucky numbers"...only I didn't play them...usually because of getting hemmed in by my wife or last minute second guessing myself. 

So I have solved my dilemma in that I hardly ever play self picks...I am now in the Quick Pick...or as one of the owners of my favorite local convenience store says, "Quicker Picker"... school.  That way when I don't win, I don't at all feel vested and when the numbers are close but no cigar, I just say, Darn computer QP...maybe next time.  And I promptly go back to play for another day's dream of winning the big jackpot.

On another subject, it is funny how everyone was saying that they thought Obama would be better for the economy than Senator John McCain.  I don't hear that now and I definitely don't see that coming true given the state of our economy right now.  And for the life of me, can he and everyone else in his administration quit calling up the "past 8 years" as the reason for this, that and the other?!!!  I am still waiting to see the "Change We Can Believe IN!!!!  You feel me?!!!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
          Member #70687
          February 8, 2009
          7919 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2009, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

No offense but bringing up the last 8 years is part of the reality we are in. You can't reverse 8 years of mostly failed policies that fast. This won't be fully turned around until late into his 1st term & possible second if it does happen. If the past 8 years were not the problem (it was but I'll play along), what were they?

If people (in general, not singling you out) voted expecting a quick fix, that is their business & should not be upset for being misinformed or misguided as to how long the recovery would t ake.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2009, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

On another subject, it is funny how everyone was saying that theythought Obama would be better for the economy than Senator JohnMcCain.  I don't hear that now and I definitely don't see that comingtrue given the state of our economy right now.  And for the life of me,can he and everyone else in his administration quit calling up the"past 8 years" as the reason for this, that and the other?!!!  I amstill waiting to see the "Change We Can Believe IN!!!!  You feel me?!!!

And this has to do with the lottery and the question that was asked how?

(Yeah, damn him for not fixing the horrible economy that took years and years of doing. I mean, he's been in office for less then 2 months and it's not fixed!!1!!! How dare he! Roll Eyes)

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
              CT
              United States
              Member #61398
              May 21, 2008
              781 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2009, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

I typically don't feel bad when I don't beat 1:175,711,536 odds.  You have to play to win, but expect to lose.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8362 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2009, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Didn't you ever hear the phrase (Don't count your chickens before they hatch.) meaning why let something trouble you that hasn't taken place yet. Instead of focusing on why you didn't win focus on selecting numbers that might win. And if you don't win don't feel bad for just yourself millions of other people didn't win either.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                  Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #63790
                  August 8, 2008
                  220 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2009, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

When it's your time it's your time. That's the way I feel about playing the lottery. I believe inside that someday I'll win but I don't know if its this week, next month,  or 5 years from now. When it's my time the numbers will fall for me whether I pick them or get some quick pick tickets. Positive thinking is a powerful tool and if more people used it in our society we would all be more happy.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                    Member #9517
                    December 10, 2004
                    1272 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2009, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

I know that one day my system will hit! So I am not giving up.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2009, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries are not games of skill but games of chance.  States run them to raise money.  They distribute half the money among a few lucky winners to encourage participation.  These systems need lot of losers to work.   No particular player out of the millions who pay to play is entitled to win unless he has a winning set of numbers.  If a person can't accept that then he needs to come up with a way to pick winners or stop playing.

I play to win but I'm not disappointed when I lose and I like trying to come up with ways to pick a winner which many say is impossible.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5603 Posts
                        Posted: March 7, 2009, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I am a little disappointed when I don't win because I am so ready to retire and get out of retail. But I do play for the entertainment, and I just work on a different way of picking and playing numbers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10351 Posts
                          Posted: March 7, 2009, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

It's lotto, the odds are in the millions to one against every one.

If you're positive you're going to win, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Lotto is something you throw a couple of bucks at.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                            Member #58528
                            February 18, 2008
                            710 Posts
                            Posted: March 7, 2009, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Can't say I would feel depressed after not winning a huge jackpot prize as I know the prize isn't mine UNLESS my ticket matches all 6 numbers...so I never really "lost" out.  Now I have been in a slump for days on those few occasions I had the notion to play a certain line of numbers and for various reasons didn't only to have them roll in that next drawing.  Now I am not talking about huge numbers of wheels or combinations like some folks who try to employ the use of different "systems".  No these were usually just spur of the moment hunches or the age old "play your lucky numbers"...only I didn't play them...usually because of getting hemmed in by my wife or last minute second guessing myself. 

So I have solved my dilemma in that I hardly ever play self picks...I am now in the Quick Pick...or as one of the owners of my favorite local convenience store says, "Quicker Picker"... school.  That way when I don't win, I don't at all feel vested and when the numbers are close but no cigar, I just say, Darn computer QP...maybe next time.  And I promptly go back to play for another day's dream of winning the big jackpot.

On another subject, it is funny how everyone was saying that they thought Obama would be better for the economy than Senator John McCain.  I don't hear that now and I definitely don't see that coming true given the state of our economy right now.  And for the life of me, can he and everyone else in his administration quit calling up the "past 8 years" as the reason for this, that and the other?!!!  I am still waiting to see the "Change We Can Believe IN!!!!  You feel me?!!!

I've been on this earth 50+ years and I've seen presidents come & seen presidents go.The one thing they all have in common is this silly belief that they

can make the WORLD,not just America,but the world a better place than the president before them.And every damn one of them was WRONG about that.They all have this GOD complex that makes them believe that they are all powerfull and can do no wrong.All of them have left this world in a worse condition than they found it when they took office.Obama will be no different!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19828 Posts
                              Posted: March 7, 2009, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I've been on this earth 50+ years and I've seen presidents come & seen presidents go.The one thing they all have in common is this silly belief that they

can make the WORLD,not just America,but the world a better place than the president before them.And every damn one of them was WRONG about that.They all have this GOD complex that makes them believe that they are all powerfull and can do no wrong.All of them have left this world in a worse condition than they found it when they took office.Obama will be no different!

Some times things do get better or worst.  During the Clinton years I was able to work 60 hrs. weeks which build up my pension before I retired since it was based on the best 5 years of earnings  of my last 10.  I feel sorry for my co-work who depended on the years they worked during the Bush years and even more sorry for the young one that are still working.  The plant finally switched totally to 401Ks for retirements, cut its work force and may shut down with this bad economy.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking