Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So how much do you need to be 'set'?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DeeSpence.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2009, 2:29 am - IP Logged

It's certainly not 1 million dollars nowdays. You can buy a nice house in LA county for that amount of money. But that's it.

You need something that can generate incomes. CDs? (interest rate too low to generate incomes) bonds? (you need a few million dollars worth of bond fund to generate comfortable income) Mutual funds? (not in these days) Real Estates? (you need to set up your own LLC and/or get a dedicated management company)

I think it's nice to have decent chuncks of everything.

See, the cap rate for a good income property is 6%, which is tough to get nowdays. So you have a million dollar income properties or three of $300,000 houses for rent. So the income is about $56,000 before tax. And you need to pay the insurance and pay to the management company. So I guess you end up getting a bit less than $40,000 after everything. In LA country, your household should be making $100,000 to be a middle-class. And that's before tax.

And you have to pay the property tax, and that includes your house. Well, then you don't have that much left. You are not set with $900,000 properties in LA county. You need to have more properties to live on rental incomes.

Generally, the rent for a $300,000 house is about $2,000. I'd say you need ten of them to live comfortably. And you need an emergency cash reserve. If you are a jackpot winner, you should put away at least a million bucks in a long term CD account. And I'd use a bond fund as an IRA. Municipal bonds are still making money. (even the California one!) So it would be nice to put some money in there, too.

So I'd say you need at least $5,000,000 to be set for life in LA county. And you can't have a luxurious life yet. See, if you are smart then you don't need to win anymore than $7~8,000,000 after tax and everything. But a lot of winners are not that smart. The most common mistake is to quit your day job, ditch your spouse, and get involved with a scammer to open a business.

See, who in the hell needs to win $100,000,000 after tax? If I win that amount, I'd probably donate the half of it to charity. Since you already paid more than a few millions for tax, you will get the money back anyway.

United States
    Member #54390
    August 17, 2007
    313 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2009, 2:34 am - IP Logged

The average American make $2,000,000 during their lifetime.

Entertaiment Capital
      United States
      Member #37800
      April 19, 2006
      302 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2009, 2:48 am - IP Logged

The average American make $2,000,000 during their lifetime.

Well, that's average. I bet there are whole bunch of people who move around deadbeat jobs and never save money.

And even well-to-do people still have a hard time having a million-dollar cash in their bank account.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3301 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2009, 7:31 am - IP Logged

you could always rent a place, owning a house sure does make needing  more  a certainty  to be " set " but id say 1 mill should do , 2 mill if u want to own a house. to , thats not a win thats total in the bank.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3106 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2009, 1:45 am - IP Logged

I could make do ok with a clean million after taxes.  Though I would like to buy one of these and for that I'd like to win at least twenty million. 

http://www.missilebases.com/

No kidding they're forsale at reasonable prices for lottery jackpot winners or anyone else with that much surplus cash. 

BobP

The Hitman's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
            Fayetteville Georgia
            United States
            Member #71666
            March 1, 2009
            4885 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2009, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Well, that's average. I bet there are whole bunch of people who move around deadbeat jobs and never save money.

And even well-to-do people still have a hard time having a million-dollar cash in their bank account.

I totALLY AGREE with u

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10356 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2009, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

ambelamba,

To each their own, but I just couldn't see coming into a score like a multi-million dollar jackpot and doing something like being a landlord and tying myself down to properties (other than the one I'd live in, maybe that and one more somewhere), etc...

Why not invest in REITs rather than tie yourself down to something?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2009, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Enough will never be enough, there's always things to buy, people to give money to, etc...

Entertaiment Capital
                  United States
                  Member #37800
                  April 19, 2006
                  302 Posts
                  Posted: March 19, 2009, 1:41 am - IP Logged

ambelamba,

To each their own, but I just couldn't see coming into a score like a multi-million dollar jackpot and doing something like being a landlord and tying myself down to properties (other than the one I'd live in, maybe that and one more somewhere), etc...

Why not invest in REITs rather than tie yourself down to something?

REITs got hit real hard. I'd rather own actual properties.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: March 19, 2009, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

ambelamba,

You ignore inflation and all kinds of other factors!

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

Entertaiment Capital
                      United States
                      Member #37800
                      April 19, 2006
                      302 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2009, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Inflation is not a huge issue if you own the properties for less than a decade.

And there are a lot of property-rich people whose most incomes come from rents.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5124 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2009, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I could make do ok with a clean million after taxes.  Though I would like to buy one of these and for that I'd like to win at least twenty million. 

http://www.missilebases.com/

No kidding they're forsale at reasonable prices for lottery jackpot winners or anyone else with that much surplus cash. 

BobP

PSYKO NO "WORRY">>>>$$$

killed a few POSSUM's from>

my trash can>>>>friday nite!!!

gona buy sum sweet poteter's

saturday>>>>cook-um g@@D

play D-JackPot lottery and>>

watch D NASCAR on sunday!!

aunnt living in D USA G@@D?

"Don't TAX my POSSUM'$ "

DeeSpence's avatar - Lottery-040.jpg
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #72522
                          March 20, 2009
                          15 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2009, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Is this a trick question? I think you answered your own question with your first sentence. Just as one million dollars today isn't enough, ten million dollars a day in ten years won't amount to much either. Essentially, enough is never enough. We should all continue to strive for not only our benefits but the benefit of our families. The economy standards are only increasing.

Just my two cents anyway!

There are millionaires and billionaires, so why aren't there any hundredaires? Things that make you say hmm.