Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

question..

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DeeSpence.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #61296
May 17, 2008
187 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2009, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Can u play (and hopefully win) the lottery in one state but live in another? For example, if u live on the border of NY and NJ and occasionally play scratch off games in NY, is it legal/ok?  Thanks all. Cheers

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2009, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Can u play (and hopefully win) the lottery in one state but live in another? For example, if u live on the border of NY and NJ and occasionally play scratch off games in NY, is it legal/ok?  Thanks all. Cheers

Yes.

United States
      Member #61296
      May 17, 2008
      187 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2009, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

thankx mike. Ive noticed NY has had better sctratch off games lately anyway.

United States
        Member #119
        February 19, 2002
        527 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2009, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but you cannot mail a lottery ticket or receive one in the mail.  

So if someone mailed you your ticket that eventually WON, could your winnings be denied because it was received by you by mail?

United States
          Member #61296
          May 17, 2008
          187 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2009, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

greg-

im not mailing tickets, but rather just buying occasional scratch off tickets from a store in NY....

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3114 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2009, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Just don't give them a reason not to pay you, like volunteering your aunt mailed you the ticket or you paid a friend to buy it for you.  Some people just don't know when to keep their mouth shut and it can be costly.

"I just found this million dollar winning ticket in your store's trash, that means it's all mine, right?"

"I just won big on this scratch ticket I haven't paid for yet, can I pay you now?"

BobP

Avid Playa's avatar - the eye.png
              Freeport, Grand Bahama
              Bahamas
              Member #57164
              December 20, 2007
              120 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2009, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Just don't give them a reason not to pay you, like volunteering your aunt mailed you the ticket or you paid a friend to buy it for you.  Some people just don't know when to keep their mouth shut and it can be costly.

"I just found this million dollar winning ticket in your store's trash, that means it's all mine, right?"

"I just won big on this scratch ticket I haven't paid for yet, can I pay you now?"

BobP

"A Word To the Wise is Sufficient"

Pick Smart ... 'cause WINNING is EVERYTHING!  Guitar

The Hitman's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                Fayetteville Georgia
                United States
                Member #71666
                March 1, 2009
                4885 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2009, 2:37 am - IP Logged

BobP

I agree with you

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                  Portland,Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #14387
                  April 25, 2005
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2009, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Yes you can live in one state and play a game or buy a ticket in another one.  However if you win a big prize (ie one big enough to have taxes with held) you probably will have to pay state taxes for both states..... if both states have state taxes on lottery winnings.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                    The Great Smoky Mountains
                    United States
                    Member #59921
                    March 31, 2008
                    266 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2009, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

BobP

I thought if you found a ticket,AND its not signed its yours or at least thats how it is in Tn. Thats why they tell you to sign your tickets...

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

United States
                      Member #58528
                      February 18, 2008
                      710 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2009, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes you can live in one state and play a game or buy a ticket in another one.  However if you win a big prize (ie one big enough to have taxes with held) you probably will have to pay state taxes for both states..... if both states have state taxes on lottery winnings.

Most states have reciprical (sp?) tax agreements with surrounding states for workers who live in one state but earn their living in another state.Consult your tax advisor if you have a winning ticket large enough to be taxed on.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                        Pittsburg, Ks
                        United States
                        Member #3382
                        January 17, 2004
                        83205 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2009, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

I thought if you found a ticket,AND its not signed its yours or at least thats how it is in Tn. Thats why they tell you to sign your tickets...

I once found a scratcher in wal-mart on the floor. I took it to my local convient store. The ticket wasn't one they were selling but it was a Kansas ticket so I got my dollar

God Bless America

US Flag

DeeSpence's avatar - Lottery-040.jpg
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #72522
                          March 20, 2009
                          15 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2009, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Yes of course!

There are millionaires and billionaires, so why aren't there any hundredaires? Things that make you say hmm.