Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Marriage/Alimony and how it affects lottery winners

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 8 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Espanola NM
United States
Member #72722
March 25, 2009
133 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2009, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Right now I am a SINGLE 25 yr old male.     I have no children.

My question is shall I win the jackpot of a major lottery.......is that considered "joint" property if I would get married down the road in my lifetime.

Or is alimony, etc based only from the time of marriage until divorce.

I heard of prenuptial agreements.   very useful apparently.....but aren't those meant for RICH successful individuals who have high steady income annually.    With a jackpot....and a lump sum......that is not an annual income flow.     Just curious.

Also about children.   Since I would be rich.  Should I have a Vasectomy.   To avoid the painful issue of a potential gold digger wife who may want high-end child support payments.

United States
    Member #61232
    May 16, 2008
    126 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2009, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

Marriage shouldn't even be considered if you don't trust them.

Espanola NM
      United States
      Member #72722
      March 25, 2009
      133 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2009, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

It isn't necessarily all about trust.   Half of all the marriages in the US ends up in divorce.    Most marriages have initial good intentions and good trust.    It is just that circumstances may cause the marriage to dissolve.    It has nothing to do with money most of the time.

Anyways I think I answered my own question.  I live in a community property state-->New mexico.   Thus property acquired PRIOR to a marriage is considered seperate and sole custody of the owner.    "Joint" or 50/50 only exists during the tenure of the marriage.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19815 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2009, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

It isn't necessarily all about trust.   Half of all the marriages in the US ends up in divorce.    Most marriages have initial good intentions and good trust.    It is just that circumstances may cause the marriage to dissolve.    It has nothing to do with money most of the time.

Anyways I think I answered my own question.  I live in a community property state-->New mexico.   Thus property acquired PRIOR to a marriage is considered seperate and sole custody of the owner.    "Joint" or 50/50 only exists during the tenure of the marriage.

That's something you might want to consider if you have thoughts of finding a rich woman to marry.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #61232
          May 16, 2008
          126 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2009, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you on all points.  But, asking them to sign a pre-nup is basically telling them that you don't have that initial trust.  It's not a good way to start off a marriage if you ask me.

The solution is to not get married.

Anyways... this isn't a marriage board.  We should probably get back on topic.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: March 26, 2009, 1:28 am - IP Logged

My question is shall I win the jackpot of a major lottery.......is that considered "joint" property if I would get married down the road in my lifetime.

I heard of prenuptial agreements.   very useful apparently.....but aren't those meant for RICH successful individuals who have high steady income annually.    With a jackpot....and a lump sum......that is not an annual income flow.     Just curious.

Also about children.   Since I would be rich.  Should I have a Vasectomy.   To avoid the painful issue of a potential gold digger wife who may want high-end child support payments.

A marriage is a 3-way contract between you, the spouse, and the state you live in and or get divorced in. The state you live in will determine the rules of prenupts, community property, divorce, alimony, child support, etc.

Your options living in NM will differ than your options living in TX, therefore the answer is "it depends where you live."

As an aside, your future ex-wife could spend 3 days in Nevada and file for and be granted a divorce from you there.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Espanola NM
              United States
              Member #72722
              March 25, 2009
              133 Posts
              Posted: March 26, 2009, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Cool info. 

Logistics with winning the lottery comes issues and problems one needs to be prepared for and planned out.

The lottery after is a potential asset that can be deemed necessary to litigation disputes involving the winner's creditors.

United States
                Member #54390
                August 17, 2007
                313 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2009, 4:03 am - IP Logged

Cool info. 

Logistics with winning the lottery comes issues and problems one needs to be prepared for and planned out.

The lottery after is a potential asset that can be deemed necessary to litigation disputes involving the winner's creditors.

If I win the lottery, i would never get married.  I would get a permanant girlfriend.  One of my customers is a rich Orthodentist and he's been dating this nice woman for 30 years. Never got married.

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                  williamsburg,ohio
                  United States
                  Member #71029
                  February 17, 2009
                  603 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2009, 4:52 am - IP Logged

hope they don't live together cause most states that is a marriage after so long

United States
                    Member #58528
                    February 18, 2008
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2009, 9:18 am - IP Logged

If I win the lottery, i would never get married.  I would get a permanant girlfriend.  One of my customers is a rich Orthodentist and he's been dating this nice woman for 30 years. Never got married.

Lee Marvin,the late actor tried that a couple of decades ago.His ex-girlfriend sued him for "palamony" and cleaned him out.Of course that was in California where they tend to see things a little differently.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23259 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2009, 9:43 am - IP Logged

A prenup would be a good idea for any lottery winner.  As a big winner you should have a steady stream of income from all of your investments, so you need to protect it.

On your last point, I think you're getting carried away.  If you're thinking of children as property or bargaining chips in a divorce, you're not ready for children yet.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                        MICHIGAN
                        United States
                        Member #65282
                        September 22, 2008
                        1992 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2009, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I agree with Todd, i could not of said it better.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2009, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

The ONLY way to do it is to have already in place what's called a Legacy Trust! That will keep anyone and everyone away from the money and the money will go on for generations to come long after you are gone! Just think about all the future generations that will benefit from you and your thoughtfulness to start such a legacy for all of your future bloodline. All of the checks will go to them with your name on it!

How do you think the Kennedy's the Rockefeller's and the others do it? How does their money go from generation to generation without worry about the divorcing and the like? Well you now have your answer! It's called Legacy Trust!

Do yourself a favor and go out online and do some research on the matter of Legacy Trust and you'll see what I'm talking about. Heck if you like go as far as calling one or two of the attorneys that handle the legacy trust, what can it hurt huh.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4523 Posts
                            Posted: March 29, 2009, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Valid lottery question to ask about protecting assets even upon marriage or heirs. Nothing wrong with seeking opinions here.

I am 110% in favor of pre-nups and protecting that which belongs to the individual. Marriage is not solely about the benefits one gains but rather a long term commitment of the NON financial kind. As to heirs, one neednt be married to have offspring and they do seem to come out of the wood work when a person gains fame or fortune.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014