Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much do the odds increase by buying more tickets?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by elmoo168.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Winston Salem, NC
United States
Member #70385
January 31, 2009
7 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2009, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Hi,
I'm trying to understand a math thing in the NC Cash 5 game.

They say the odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 575,757

OK - so what if I buy more than one ticket?

What if I spend $20 and buy 20 tickets?

Are my odds then 1 in 28,788 (575,757 divided by 20)?

I've searched the Forums and haven't found the answer to this - just wondering if one of you all knows - I figured someone out there probably does!

Thanks,
Bill

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2009, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

I've searched the Forums and haven't found the answer to this - just wondering if one of you all knows - I figured someone out there probably does!

Thanks,
    Bill

Yes, those are your odds. Some people on this board don't get the law of ratios and will disagree with that, but ask any legitimate mathematician and they will tell you that buying 20 tickets for a 5/39 game will give you 1 in 28,787.85 odds for the jackpot.

(insert signature here)

Winston Salem, NC
      United States
      Member #70385
      January 31, 2009
      7 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2009, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Thanks!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2009, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

"What if I spend $20 and buy 20 tickets?

Are my odds then 1 in 28,788 (575,757 divided by 20)?"

Only if you buy 20 different combinations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Winston Salem, NC
          United States
          Member #70385
          January 31, 2009
          7 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2009, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Right - I was planning too.

I'm trying to study on this concept of "wheeling" - so each of the 20 lines would be different and individual picks.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            884 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2009, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I have seen people buy up to 6 tickets at a time, frankly I can't afford to compete with these people, they have more money than I have..

They have a better chance of winning then I do, unless by the small chance that I have the right combination..

I get pretty discouraged with the lottery numbers alot!Bang Head

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2009, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I have seen people buy up to 6 tickets at a time, frankly I can't afford to compete with these people, they have more money than I have..

They have a better chance of winning then I do, unless by the small chance that I have the right combination..

I get pretty discouraged with the lottery numbers alot!Bang Head

It isn't the player with the most money that wins, it the player with the winning numbers.   You're not competing with players who buy more tickets, like them you're trying to guess the right combinations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10344 Posts
                Posted: March 29, 2009, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Yes, those are your odds. Some people on this board don't get the law of ratios and will disagree with that, but ask any legitimate mathematician and they will tell you that buying 20 tickets for a 5/39 game will give you 1 in 28,787.85 odds for the jackpot.

Sure. Then why not take it to buying 200 tickets, which by your theory would make the odds only 2878 to 1 (odds are expressed as 2878:1), or better yet, 2,000 tickets would make them merely 287:1, Why not just keep going til you had a "lock"? What's $75,000 when it would take the odds to 7.5:1

NO MATTER HOEW MANY TICKETS YOU BUY EACH TICKET IS UP AGAINST ODDS OF 575,757:1. ONLY ONE SET OF WINNING NUMBERS IS DRAWN. ONE OF 575,757 COMBINATIONS WINS A JACKPOT (and that's if anyone has it). ALL THE OTHERS WIN LOWER (MUCH LOWER) PRIZES OR LOSE.

Only someone seeling tickets or yet another baloney system will try and sell you the hype about reducing the odds. If it worked, people would pool their money or even take out loans and hit a jackpot at will. But if that worked no lottery would offer the game to be played. Don't get sucked in by hype.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: March 29, 2009, 4:03 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Thanks,
                  Bill

Each ticket increases your odds of winning, but by less than the amount of each previous ticket did.

2 tickets doubles your chances vs. 1 ticket, but 3 tickets only gives you a 50% boost over 2 tickets.

4 tickets raise your odds by 33% vs. 3 tickets. Diminishing returns, all the way up.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                    Dallas, TX
                    United States
                    Member #60284
                    April 12, 2008
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: March 29, 2009, 5:09 am - IP Logged

Let's try to get the right numbers, even with 1 ticket you're good to go! :)

United States
                      Member #39194
                      May 12, 2006
                      28 Posts
                      Posted: April 1, 2009, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to calculate at which point it's no longer worth buying more tickets?  What we do in the office is that when MA Megabucks (pick 6 of 42, jackpot odds 1 in 5,245,786) gets high, we pool our money for some tickets.  So say we managed to get together $100 for a draw, and some more people want to join and we can possibly get up to $150, I never could figure out if the extra $50 would be worth putting in for that draw, or we should hold off and use the $50 for the next draw (assuming no one has hit the jackpot).

It might be easier to use Mass Cash as an example, it's a pick 5 of 35 game (jackpot odds 1 in 324,632) with the jackpot fixed at $100,000.  I know it's ridiculous to buy 324,632 unique tickets to guarantee the jackpot, since it's only $100,000 so I'd always lose, and also not smart to buy 100,000 tickets since I'd win more or less only 1/3 of the time and I only win back my bet.

I definitely don't have enough money to ever get to such a high bet, but I've always wondered when the increase in odds of winning tapers off that it's no longer worth buying extra entries for the same drawing.