Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there limits to the amount one can win on a drawing

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 8 years ago by sheepdogg.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Espanola NM
United States
Member #72722
March 25, 2009
133 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2009, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Let's say I bought 20 Powerball tickets for $1 each.    Let's say the 5 WHITE balls I selected for all 20 tickets all matched the drawing's numbers.   However for strategic purposes I selected the 6th RED powerball number differently for each ticket.  None of the RED numbers match.

Crazy strategy and probably a dumb one given the astronomical odds...but bare with me here....

Are my winnings limited to just one prize($200,000)....or does my winnings multiply by 20.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2009, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Though I've never seen any contingency plans for an unexpected large number of second prize winners in the MegaMillions game, I'm sure they exist.  California is the only state that has a pari-mutual payout for MegaMillions (prizes amounts limited to the amount collected from sales of tickets) as far as I know.  You should probably check with your local lottery commission since each states is responsible for paying those prizes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
      Member #6363
      August 20, 2004
      4065 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2009, 1:34 am - IP Logged

I got this off USAmega.

I heard there is a limit on the jackpot size. Is that true?

While there is technically no limit on the size to which the Powerball jackpot can grow, there is a "slow-down mechanism" that kicks in when the jackpot reaches record heights.  We don't know why the Multi-State Lottery Association decided to implement it, but we'll explain how it works.

Whenever the Powerball jackpot reaches a record level, the amount of the jackpot prize is limited to increases for each draw of no more than $25 million.  Once this "slow-down" is in effect, any prize money collected in excess of the maximum $25 million increase is placed into something called the Match 5 Bonus prize pool, and will accumulate until there is a jackpot winner.  When there is a jackpot winner, the Match 5 Bonus prize pool will be divided equally among all players who match the first 5 numbers, but not the Powerball (5+0).  The prize is paid in cash.

The Match 5 Bonus prize is in addition to any Power Play prizes that may be won.  The Match 5 Bonus prize is not multiplied.  A Match 5 winner who also played the Power Play option will win the original $200,000, plus the amount paid under the Power Play multiplier option, plus the new Match 5 Bonus effective bonus prize.

If nobody hits the jackpot while the "slow-down" is in effect, 5+0 winners get the normal 5+0 prize, plus Power Play winnings if they purchased that option.  All of the Match 5 Bonus money rolls into the next drawing.

Although it is unlikely, it is possible that no Match 5 winner will exist for a drawing where the jackpot is won and in where a Match 5 Bonus Prize pools exists. In this case, the Match 5 Bonus prize pool will be paid out to the Match 4+1 winners.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3475 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2009, 2:11 am - IP Logged

RJ is right that PB (and all other jackpot games) have a contingency to deal with an unusually high number of winners. Normally it's only the jackpot that's paid on a parimutuel basis, but they can do that at any prize level. When  100+ people won the 2nd prize by playing fortune cookie numbers a few years ago MUSL decided to pay the full  prize to everyone, but that's not a guarantee they'll always make that choice. I expect that individual states can choose parimutuel even if MUSL prefers the full payout. I suspect that they might be more inclined to choose to go the parimutuel route if they suspected that  the unusual number of winners was because one person  played  the same numbers on multiple tickets. If an unusually high number of winners come from the same general area it's a safe bet that they'll figure it's the work of one or two people making multiple plays.

20 chance is 20 chances, so the strategy is as good as the next as far as the jackpot is concerned. OTOH you're only got one chance at any of the smaller prizes. You can expect them to be 20 times as big, but since there's no guarantee it might make more sense to play four sets of numbers each with 5 different power balls.

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2009, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Let's say I bought 20 Powerball tickets for $1 each.    Let's say the 5 WHITE balls I selected for all 20 tickets all matched the drawing's numbers.   However for strategic purposes I selected the 6th RED powerball number differently for each ticket.  None of the RED numbers match.

Crazy strategy and probably a dumb one given the astronomical odds...but bare with me here....

Are my winnings limited to just one prize($200,000)....or does my winnings multiply by 20.

Hey guys, when someone asks a simple question, don't give him the rocket scientist answer.

He/She asked if he/she had twenty(20) 5 +0 tickets is there a cap on his/her payout.

My guess would be no. they should pay you the sum ie $10 M.

But, like you said poor strategy...

ft pierce,fla
            United States
            Member #30785
            January 21, 2006
            2090 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2009, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

you would get the 200,000.00 per ticket unless you played the extra dollar then you would get 1,000,000.00 per ticket