Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you quit your job...

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Piaceri.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Espanola NM
United States
Member #72722
March 25, 2009
133 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2009, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Let's say you won the lottery jackpot from MM or Powerball.    Would you quit your job?

They say the average worker only makes $2 million in wages during their lifetime.  I calculated the $2 million liberally by assuming the avg. worker works 40 yrs with an avg. salary of $50,000 annually.

Since a jackpot award is certainty higher than that would it make practical sense to quit and live off the interest? 

Depending on how much investment interest you make a yr with the jackpot winnings.....annual tax on such high income would make working for a wage pointless right?

In my case...I would most likely try to retain a part-time position to keep my sanity.  Staying at home doing nothing.....could drive one crazy!See Ya!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2009, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

What if the person won and have no job/career to begin with? :P

I would definately quit my job/career, because with a jackpot win of 100+ Millions with good money managements I would never have to work ever again, and still have a lot left for the next lineage. Smart investments and wise spending can help earn money to live off from.

Having quit a job/career does not mean one would be sitting at home. Unless, the person that won have no desire in doing anything else. Each of us have our own dreams and goals in life.

Don't want to list the things how I would invest, or what I would do after winning the jackpots, because it is hard listing the things from a never-ending list...

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2009, 5:19 am - IP Logged

If I won that kind of money I think it would at the very least become a part time job just managing it since I would not leave it up to solely someone else nor would I stuff it all in a bank long term or something like that. But then again I can always find something to do around the home I would own and nothing would be stopping me from always going somewhere else when I feel like it. The most important thing a big lottery win can give you is freedom. Some might say all that money makes them feel like they're in a prison or whatever but it's really a prison of their own design because for one reason or another they couldn't handle it.

You can't predict random.

marlon39's avatar - avatar 3245.jpg

Philippines
        Member #71195
        February 20, 2009
        226 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2009, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I would quit my job depending on the amount of the prize. If over 10 millions, definitely. If less, I am going to think about it.

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."
        - Vince Lombardi

joker831's avatar - Trek COMBADG3.gif
          Tucson, Arizona
          United States
          Member #63404
          July 27, 2008
          102 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2009, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Definitely quit!  Who REALLY wants to work for a living anyway?  Travel.  It's an awfully big world.  Gotta see as much as you can.  Besides,.... just think of all the fun you could have playing different lotteries around the world.  Invest wisely and then go and have the time of your life.

United States
            Member #67042
            November 14, 2008
            72 Posts
            Posted: April 1, 2009, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

I surely would! I would make wise investments and live off the interest.  Then I would go and see the world.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: April 2, 2009, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Yes I would. I would work on the hobbies and things that I enjoy doing.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                williamsburg,ohio
                United States
                Member #71029
                February 17, 2009
                603 Posts
                Posted: April 2, 2009, 3:07 am - IP Logged

If I was working I would and do things I have always wanted.

My wife would.

She keeps asking me when am I going to so she can.LOL

United States
                  Member #73221
                  April 8, 2009
                  15 Posts
                  Posted: April 9, 2009, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Yep, if I won the big one, I'd be outta there!  I like my job reasonably well, but I have other things I want to do with my time (and they aren't sitting at home and watching I Love Lucy reruns!).

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
                    Queens, NY
                    United States
                    Member #245
                    April 15, 2002
                    451 Posts
                    Posted: April 10, 2009, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Wink No, because I'm already retired. My son with whom I buy the tickets might or might not retire because as an educator he loves his job.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: April 10, 2009, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Let's say you won the lottery jackpot from MM or Powerball.    Would you quit your job?

They say the average worker only makes $2 million in wages during their lifetime.  I calculated the $2 million liberally by assuming the avg. worker works 40 yrs with an avg. salary of $50,000 annually.

Since a jackpot award is certainty higher than that would it make practical sense to quit and live off the interest? 

Depending on how much investment interest you make a yr with the jackpot winnings.....annual tax on such high income would make working for a wage pointless right?

In my case...I would most likely try to retain a part-time position to keep my sanity.  Staying at home doing nothing.....could drive one crazy!See Ya!

A lot of folks' jobs aren't even waiting for them to win. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: April 11, 2009, 12:32 am - IP Logged

I've been at my job for 21 years and  have another 7 years to go before I can retire. HAHA and I don't exactly love my job.(but I am very thankful I have a job) You better believe I'd quit and never look back!

Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: April 11, 2009, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Quit my current job? Absolutely. If anything, I want and need to move to another state to be near my parents. Now would I go back to work after moving? Depends on the size of the jackpot.  MM starts at $12m and the cash payout affords a very nice early retirement around the age of 55. Current MM at $92m with cash payout at $60m affords a very very nice early retirement right now - to indulge in hobbies and travel - and a parttime job of charity giving. How nice would it be to travel around in my Audi S5 investigating various charities? (LOL)

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner