Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tenn. wants to limit winnings

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 8 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
joplin
United States
Member #45299
August 17, 2006
151 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2009, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I read today that Tenn. wants to limit the winnings of anyone on food stamps to

I read today, that Tenn. wants to limit winnings to $600.  for those on food stamps.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2009, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I read today that Tenn. wants to limit the winnings of anyone on food stamps to

I read today, that Tenn. wants to limit winnings to $600.  for those on food stamps.

I had a short blurb about this on my blog. All I can say, geez louise.

(insert signature here)

Espanola NM
      United States
      Member #72722
      March 25, 2009
      133 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2009, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

What a crazy idea.   That has many downfalls for the state.   It is not gonna stop people from playing.    Now customers may go across statelines to buy/claim lottery games.   This puts Tenn's Lottery revenue in jeopardy.

Also those on food stamps can get around it by "stopping" the benefits.  Since they have 180 days to claim the prize....if a "poor" person finds out he is a multi-millionare after winning......it gives the "poor" person enough time to run away from the food stamp stigma or move to another state.

Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2009, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Hey wait, aren't the people on food stamps taking up the major chunk among the players? Surely they want to get the fudge out of their sad lives by winning a seven-figure jackpot. If they are not allowed to win big, then they'll stop buying the tickets.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
          Clarksville
          United States
          Member #487
          July 15, 2002
          17638 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2009, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

This is just another one of the stupid a$$ed pieces of legislation that I have seen come out of the TN legislature this year.  Pure stupidity!!  Makes you wonder what they talk about all of the time.  they want to limit their (food stamp recipients) to $600.00.  I don't think that there are that many folks on food stamps playing but if they are and win a major jackpot, they should get it all.  I am so disgusted by the stupid legislation until they just make me sick!!  At election time folks need to pay attention and vote these dumb a$$es out!!  STUPID!!! Might I say that the legislature is controlled by the republicans..UGH!!  At times like these, they need to be concentrating on how to help our state gain businesses and make money and they are whining about what someone on food stamps is doing.  talk about putting the cart before the horse!!  I hope it does not pass because then other states will surely follow!!  If I was on food stamps and won, I would get someone to cash my ticket for me and pay them.  It is that simple.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2009, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

i wonder what does food stamp has anything to do with winning the lottery...isn't enough that Tennesse had malfunction problems...

I don't know if they are trying to make the lottery a rich people game, but for that reason that's why free lotteries exist, and if you are placing YOUR DOLLARS ON A GAME i don't see why you couldnt' win...

free lotteries by making money from earn interest to to whoever they want can give themselves the luxury of doing that but not lotteries that you are paying for...

that's just like going to a race horse track and you won but you don't get the money because you are poor or black or whatever, because they are making a class distinction by doing that....

And the funny thing of all is that the lottery is a volunteered tax people should be abstaining from it, yet, the lottery is telling other people to abstain from it....

I don't know if tenesse is trying to pull a class distinction or the winning towards a particular group but they need to realize that  that's what free lotteries are for...Well actually not free lotteries but specialized free lotteries....I am in favor of specialized free lotteries for certain people who knows what they needs or qualities might be, but you can't play like that with people's money and you can display it like that on the streets and not offer a different kind of lotteries for people that don't can't play your lotteries...Honestly that sounds like this: I am placing a fountain for whites and another fountain for blacks that's the way it sounds...except that the fountain for blacks don't exist or in this case for very poor people in foodstamps don't exist...and i still don't see what foodstamps got to do with playing the lottery....

If YOU are providing the money for a free lottery you can chose who you give it because is after all is YOUR MONEY.....What they could do is create what i call a "PRIVATE LOTTERY" OR PRIVATE SPECIALIZED LOTTERY where each individual puts money where only certain people can play, people that may share a charasteristic, or have something in comon but if you do that its got to be manage by a group and done privately, you can place it publicly for everyone to see, well you could do it but you have to not give it a racial tone because it will raise tensions and it must be done just like other lotteries....but you see "PRIVATE LOTTERIES" OR "PRIVATE SPECIALIZED LOTTERIES" are mostly for a group that is a minority or a group that is a minority and needs help to level off the inequalities....For example, if there is a country with 1,000 population and 900 of the populations are right handed people, and 90% of the jobs are held by right handers...The 100 left handed people have the right to create a "PRIVATE LOTTERY" OR PRIVATE SPECIALIZED LOTTERY" OR FREE SPECIALIZED LOTTERY" to balance everything out...Because it will not be fair/just that 90% of the jobs of that country is hold by right handers....

I am more in favor of "PRIVATE LOTTERIES" OR "PRIVATE SPECIALIZED LOTTERIES" OR "Free Specialized lottery" or as i call them "MINORITY LOTTOS" THAT I AM in favor on Online gambling/gaming....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

joplin
              United States
              Member #45299
              August 17, 2006
              151 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2009, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

What if they decide that anyone receiving Federal or State aid, that winnings should be limited to a fix amount.  Whats so different, they are not mandating what CEO's can be payed ?

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49642 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2009, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Many States Reduce the Aid given in some proportion to the amount of the Winnings and/or require repayment of Aid already received by the Winner.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2009, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Many States Reduce the Aid given in some proportion to the amount of the Winnings and/or require repayment of Aid already received by the Winner.

That sounds like a better idea...You see if you are telling people "That they can't dream" to get off of their missery then is no a free country anymore...

If you tell them that if they win they can pay that money back is o.k because you are giving them freedom to dream....But if you tell them that because of the foodstamp the government is going to take all your millions away that sounds like taking someone's freedom to dream....

and if you look at foodstamps is really not much is like 100 dollars a month...so for 100 dollars a month i am going to take away your 60 or 80 million dollars....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2009, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

This is just another one of the stupid a$$ed pieces of legislation that I have seen come out of the TN legislature this year.  Pure stupidity!!  Makes you wonder what they talk about all of the time.  they want to limit their (food stamp recipients) to $600.00.  I don't think that there are that many folks on food stamps playing but if they are and win a major jackpot, they should get it all.  I am so disgusted by the stupid legislation until they just make me sick!!  At election time folks need to pay attention and vote these dumb a$$es out!!  STUPID!!! Might I say that the legislature is controlled by the republicans..UGH!!  At times like these, they need to be concentrating on how to help our state gain businesses and make money and they are whining about what someone on food stamps is doing.  talk about putting the cart before the horse!!  I hope it does not pass because then other states will surely follow!!  If I was on food stamps and won, I would get someone to cash my ticket for me and pay them.  It is that simple.

I love it!  Republicans have controlled the legislature for all of two months out of 40 something years and every problem, every stupid piece of legislation that EVER came out of the state legislature is blamed on Republicans.  What's the matter?  Ticked off that George Bush is no longer around! 

The fact that this particular piece of legislation is uneforceable hasn't yet ocurred to anyone.  There are so many ways out there to circumvent the penalty thus making the law laughable.  Ease up, good people.  Let them pass this law.  It will mean absolutely nothing.

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2009, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

That sounds like a better idea...You see if you are telling people "That they can't dream" to get off of their missery then is no a free country anymore...

If you tell them that if they win they can pay that money back is o.k because you are giving them freedom to dream....But if you tell them that because of the foodstamp the government is going to take all your millions away that sounds like taking someone's freedom to dream....

and if you look at foodstamps is really not much is like 100 dollars a month...so for 100 dollars a month i am going to take away your 60 or 80 million dollars....

i am not sure but i think that fairness will be that you pay the money back with some interest....remember foodstamp is tax payers money i think...

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                        Dallas, TX
                        United States
                        Member #60284
                        April 12, 2008
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2009, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't see why people are not writing to them to consider this new law...

Knoxville, Tn.
                          United States
                          Member #69636
                          January 13, 2009
                          299 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2009, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Hell, pretty soon Obama will be telling us all how much we can make and keep.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3102 Posts
                            Posted: April 8, 2009, 12:30 am - IP Logged

The lottery provides hope.  It is wrong to take that simple pleasure from those at the bottom of society.  BobP

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
                              Member #63356
                              July 26, 2008
                              1427 Posts
                              Posted: April 8, 2009, 3:27 am - IP Logged

City and State Governments are in the red, they are trying to find anything that they can put a tax on or fine you for.

The City of Philadelphia wanted to charge us for trash removal by a private company, the heck with the city workers who do this job right now.  Now they want to fine us for not fixing our houses up?  So for the guy that lost his job and can't put food on the table he should worry about getting a fine for not fixing his house up?  They doubled the rate for bridge toll.  They doubled the rate for parking meters.  They raised the rate on real estate taxes.  Should I go on or can you tell its out of control already??????

As for driving, buckle up and watch your back!  They are putting cameras on the road so they don't even have to post a cop to give you tickets, they will take a picture of you and send you the ticket in the mail.  They are starting this crap in all states now.  Geez!!!

Its NOT President Obama, its the mess that was left by the Republican Rule for 24 years, I know President Bill Clinton was in office between the two Bushes, but he was not allowed by the majority Republican Rule to do everything that he wanted to do, they kept a shot gun ready for his bills.

I don't know where all this is going with the extra taxes, extra fines, extra rates, and all the other extras they can pile on us with the wages being so dern low, no jobs, and loss of jobs.  Yet those that are passing these extras on to us are living nicely with their raises, good paycheck, and don't forget the bennies.  AND they don't have to worry about being laid off.

BUT they should worry about not being reelected to office!  We need to send a message to these jokers on the next vote!!  Keep voting them out of office after ONE TERM!  ONE TERM AND THEY ARE OUT! 

Why should someone be in office for 40 - 50 years???  They are TOO Old!!!  They don't care about what they do to us anymore, they think they will be voted back in office anyway and have no need to make us happy.

There is a limit on how many times the President of the United States can serve, we should make them all leave office after one or two terms.

Whew!  This stuff is enough to march on the State Capitol and Washington!!