Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is the Tennessee lottery blaming on the POWERBALL?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 8 years ago by MaddMike51.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Eden Prairie, MN
United States
Member #49875
February 18, 2007
63 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2009, 11:29 am - IP Logged
I heard that the POWERBALL is cutting into the lottery sales in Tennessee and it has something to do with a random number generator for the drawing,but not a real drawing.

1.What is a real drawing?

2.I thought that the POWERBALL is a multi-state lottery that has been using two machines to draw the balls,but not using a random number generator such as the one you can use on a computer or use it for a quick pick.
So,can anyone explain to me why is Tennessee is putting the blame on the POWERBALL?

3.Should Tennessee knew that the POWERBALL's policy is already in placed before they joined the lottery?
    ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    Chicago
    United States
    Member #70678
    February 8, 2009
    889 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2009, 12:44 pm - IP Logged
    I heard that the POWERBALL is cutting into the lottery sales in Tennessee and it has something to do with a random number generator for the drawing,but not a real drawing.

1.What is a real drawing?

2.I thought that the POWERBALL is a multi-state lottery that has been using two machines to draw the balls,but not using a random number generator such as the one you can use on a computer or use it for a quick pick.
    So,can anyone explain to me why is Tennessee is putting the blame on the POWERBALL?

3.Should Tennessee knew that the POWERBALL's policy is already in placed before they joined the lottery?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Powerball is the only ball drop game played in Tenn. Check the Lottery report card. And after everything I've read on LP about the Tenn. Lottery I'm not sure I would even bother to play their games. Why not take a chance on Powerball LOL at least they(Tenn.) aren't in control of the outcome.

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2009, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

A lot of states blame Powerball (& MegaMillions) for cutting into their lottery profits.Its because the states can't offer the same prizes that PB & MM can offer.People just prefer winning huge amounts of money over smaller amounts of money.Would you prefer to win $10 million or $100 million with your lottery dollar?Personally,I'd put my lottery dollar on the $100 million jackpot over the$10 million jackpot anyday.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7318 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2009, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

A lot of states blame Powerball (& MegaMillions) for cutting into their lottery profits.Its because the states can't offer the same prizes that PB & MM can offer.People just prefer winning huge amounts of money over smaller amounts of money.Would you prefer to win $10 million or $100 million with your lottery dollar?Personally,I'd put my lottery dollar on the $100 million jackpot over the$10 million jackpot anyday.

I Agree! and all the Powerball and Mega Millions states should have known the bigger jackpots would affect their state lotto games. The only problem Tennessee could be having is the Powerball game is paying off at a higher percentage than it's games and of course cuts into their overall profits.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
          Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2009, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Those are the big boys, the state needs to give better payouts in their lotto games for the players to consider putting in more bets. Texas Cash 5 payout is very low comparing to GA Fantasy 5 for an example.

Eden Prairie, MN
            United States
            Member #49875
            February 18, 2007
            63 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2009, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I thought having POWERBALL does add more fund to the state fund,should that outweigh the loss that the state lotteries are having?

United States
              Member #73221
              April 8, 2009
              15 Posts
              Posted: April 8, 2009, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Certainly I'd prefer to win $100 million rather than $10 million, but what many people forget is that your odds of winning matter also!  For myself, I play Hot Lotto (assuming the jackpot is built up to a "reasonable" level, say $4 million) rather than PowerBall, even though both are available to me locally.  $4 million spread over 25 years will take care of my needs nicely, and my odds are much better of winning the Hot Lotto payoff!  Something like 15 times better, the exact number escapes me now.  Of course only playing when the HL jackpot is $4 million or greater limits the amount of time I can spend playing!  But I've been known to buy a ticket now and then anyway if it is lower than my target.

But I must admit that from everything I've read many more people subscribe to your theory of going after the biggest prize, rather than figuring out what they really "want" (nobody NEEDS to win the lottery!) and following the strategy that gives the best chance of meeting those needs.

There's also the obvious point that most people are willing to spend only a certain amount on lottery tickets, and if PowerBall draws some of it away from the state lottery, state receipts will suffer accordingly.

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: April 8, 2009, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Certainly I'd prefer to win $100 million rather than $10 million, but what many people forget is that your odds of winning matter also!  For myself, I play Hot Lotto (assuming the jackpot is built up to a "reasonable" level, say $4 million) rather than PowerBall, even though both are available to me locally.  $4 million spread over 25 years will take care of my needs nicely, and my odds are much better of winning the Hot Lotto payoff!  Something like 15 times better, the exact number escapes me now.  Of course only playing when the HL jackpot is $4 million or greater limits the amount of time I can spend playing!  But I've been known to buy a ticket now and then anyway if it is lower than my target.

But I must admit that from everything I've read many more people subscribe to your theory of going after the biggest prize, rather than figuring out what they really "want" (nobody NEEDS to win the lottery!) and following the strategy that gives the best chance of meeting those needs.

There's also the obvious point that most people are willing to spend only a certain amount on lottery tickets, and if PowerBall draws some of it away from the state lottery, state receipts will suffer accordingly.

To each his own.I play to win the big jackpot,not the smaller jackpot that the states offer.And I don't play Hot Lotto because it is a RNG game.