Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall and the 10x PowerPlay promotion

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 years ago by The HoodedClaw.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #73221
April 8, 2009
15 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2009, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

For several years, PowerBall has had a promotion where 1 slot on the wheel that selected the PowerPlay multiplier was replaced by a 10x multiplier, and all prizes were increased accordingly if the 10x was chosen for a given draw.  In the past, this has always happened in March or April (at least according to the Wikipedia article on PowerBall).  March has gone, and April has started, yet I've heard no promotion of the 10x multiplier.  Does anyone know if there are plans to do this in 2009?

I know the game organizers have switched to an electronic random number generator to determine the multiplier, I wonder if they concluded they couldn't use the 10x reliably in the electronic generator--Or at least not use it in a way that us players would have confidence in.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
    Marquette, MI
    United States
    Member #20541
    August 20, 2005
    705 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2009, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

For several years, PowerBall has had a promotion where 1 slot on the wheel that selected the PowerPlay multiplier was replaced by a 10x multiplier, and all prizes were increased accordingly if the 10x was chosen for a given draw.  In the past, this has always happened in March or April (at least according to the Wikipedia article on PowerBall).  March has gone, and April has started, yet I've heard no promotion of the 10x multiplier.  Does anyone know if there are plans to do this in 2009?

I know the game organizers have switched to an electronic random number generator to determine the multiplier, I wonder if they concluded they couldn't use the 10x reliably in the electronic generator--Or at least not use it in a way that us players would have confidence in.

Probably don't need the promotion this year because of the economy people will buy the tickets anyway

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

iowa
      United States
      Member #32899
      February 16, 2006
      46 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2009, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

They probably can't do it fairly beacause if you win the second prize (all 5 white balls)and are paying the extra dollar for power play the multiplier automatically is a 5 despite which number is actually drawn or kicked out by the computer. I think I remember the reasoning was so that anybody playing the powerplay and winning the second prize would always be a million dollars. Pretty good meme, good for propaganda like deception in that they can say we have created X- number of millionaires. The sheeple will just go wow, and think that it refers to the number of jackpot winners. They could always leave it the way it is, though, and stipulate that if the PowerPlay ten ball is chosen that it will apply to the second prize winners getting $2 million dollars and the lower claimants will be adjusted accordingly. Probably too cheap to do this though. 

Eden Prairie, MN
        United States
        Member #49875
        February 18, 2007
        63 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2009, 5:19 am - IP Logged

Oh,wow I didn't know that the POWERPLAY was drawn in a ball machine,well it has been a long time since I played POWERBALL until this year.

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2009, 6:11 am - IP Logged

I remembered and thought about this yesterday. I think because of the new changes to powerball, they have decided the increased payoff for the second prize winner with powerplay is insentive enough.

I would have liked to have seen it.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23259 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2009, 11:41 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

United States
              Member #73221
              April 8, 2009
              15 Posts
              Posted: April 9, 2009, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Whoops, I've been reading from the top of the forum as a spectator for months, and never realized these forums were down here till I saw your "moved" message in the original forum!  Sorry 'bout that!