Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does jackpot amount affect your spending habits.

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 8 years ago by JonnyBgood07.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Espanola NM
United States
Member #72722
March 25, 2009
133 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2009, 1:06 am - IP Logged

When playing Mega Millions or Powerball.....does your lottery purchases correlate depending on how high the jackpot goes.   Or is the lottery budget a fixed amount regardless of the jackpot.

I ask this because now that the Powerball is back to the $20 million after reaching the $143 million mark.

I tend to spend according to intervals.  Which means my next stop to the gas station will involve a $1 single purchase ticket.

When the jackpot is from 20->50 million I spend anywhere from $1 to $3 per drawing.

When it grows between 50->100 million I spend anywhere from $4 to $7 per drawing.

And of course when it exceeds 100 million I max out at $12 per drawing.

I tend to avoid state-managed lotterys or scratchers as the reward ain't worth the effort in playing or figuring out a system.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2009, 3:42 am - IP Logged

Yes, like you I increase the bet amount as the jackpot increases.

< 100 Millions = $1 per draw

> 100 Millions = $5 per draw

United States
      Member #73221
      April 8, 2009
      15 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2009, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Normally I just buy one PowerBall ticket with PowerPlay.  This gives fate (Lady Luck, G-d, whatever motivating force you prefer to refer to) a chance to smile on me in a big way, and doesn't make me spend too much on the game, given the ridiculous odds for the jackpot.  Given those odds, I tend to think of playing PowerBall as playing for the 2nd and 3rd prizes (the $1,000,000 or the $20-50,000 prizes).  They don't change value over time, so I don't usually vary my playing style much.

Most of my attention to lottery games is based on winning the Hot Lotto jackpot, with better odds to win a prize that suits my goals (assuming the Hot Lotto prize has moved up well past the $2,000,000 mark, which is the goal I've set for myself).

Having said that, if the Hot Lotto jackpot is "small" (less than $2,000,000) and the PowerBall prize is unusually large (over $100 million or preferably $150 million) I've been known to be tempted to buy more PowerBall tickets.  Rather silly of me, since I don't think I'd be that much happier with a $100 million jackpot than with a $4 milliion one).  But I'm human, not just a strategy-following machine!

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
        Connecticut
        United States
        Member #61623
        May 29, 2008
        20581 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2009, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

I wont touch PB till it's at least 60 -70 mil and even then I'll spend 5 dollars or less....

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."