Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Retailer refuses to provide a sales receipt

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 8 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
H2Taylor's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg
Mishawaka
United States
Member #73373
April 13, 2009
1 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2009, 5:17 am - IP Logged

For the past 5 years my wife and I have always purchased our Indiana Lucky 5 tickets from a local Village Pantry Store. We don't like having to goto the store every single day.. so... we opted to check mark a 7 day evening play slip for $ 2.00 each day, which generated a $ 14.00 ticket.

In the past 5 years, this local store has always returned our play slip, regardless if it was a winning ticket or not. On April 11, 2009, I presented a $ 14.00 play ticket that had a winning amount of $ 6.00. When I asked to have my winning ticket back, the cashier said, they were not allowed to give back winning tickets and she tore it up and threw it in their trash can. I explained to her that we ALWAYS got back our tickets since they could not be cashed anywhere else. She refused to give back the ticket. I spent $ 14.00 for this ticket and only got $ 6.00 back. How can I show an $ 8.00 loss (tax purposes) without some kind of proof, since she refused to give the ticket back? She did not tell me that they had changed their policy prior to running my ticket, otherwise I would not have cashed it there..

Can anyone tell me what the official ruling is on this? Looks like I got ripped off of $ 8.00 to me..

Thanks in advance!

David

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23266 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2009, 8:01 am - IP Logged

You need to complain forcefully and loudly to the Hoosier Lottery.  What that retailer did was just plain wrong, and they need to be reprimanded and/or punished in some way.  That's theft.

You're right: the ticket belongs to you, and there is absolutely no rule or guideline saying that the retailer is to keep your ticket.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8361 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2009, 11:55 am - IP Logged

In Maryland when you present a winning ticket they validated the ticket it then generates 2 receipts one receipt is stapled to the ticket, and you get a cash receipt for the amount you won on that ticket. If the ticket had additional games on it not yet played they return your ticket. But if that ticket is done with all it's games and you won some money they usually keep it.

You can ask for your ticket back sometimes they will give it back sometimes they don't as it is stapled to the stores receipt. It's their proof that they cashed a winner and is placed with all the other receipts so they can cash out the register at the end of the shift.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.