Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 4:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you prefer

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 8 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

do you prefer "not"to play?

pick 3 [ 23 ]  [30.67%]
pick 4 [ 4 ]  [5.33%]
powerball [ 7 ]  [9.33%]
scratch offs [ 34 ]  [45.33%]
other(which game?) [ 7 ]  [9.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 75 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
Pittsburg, Ks
United States
Member #3382
January 17, 2004
80736 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2009, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Come to think of it, I'd like to add another "other" - pull tabs. I've only seen them in Kentucky, in vending machines where lottos is sold, and I have never seen anyone win anything on one.

I forget if they are 25 or 50 cents, as the machinrs take quarters.

Ks has pull tabs. Ks gives you 6 chances to win on The first pull-tab I bought I won $10.On another occasion I had bought 2 pull-tabs. Won $20 on one and $15 on the other one A whopping $35.

God Bless America

US Flag

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: April 19, 2009, 6:29 am - IP Logged

I dislike them all except for the P5 games.  The P3 and P4 games are not life changing.  What one can win with those games won't do much more than pay for a good steak dinner for the family. 

As for PB and MM, the odds are just too great.  Unless the jackpot is extremely high, I see no advantage in throwing a dollar their way.

Now the 5/39 game, in most states, is different.   Win the one in Illinois or George and you might pay off the mortgage or buy a new car.  $100,000 + is a lot of money; enough to throw a dollar toward several times a week.

The P3 and P4 games are not life changing.  What one can win with those games won't do much more than pay for a good steak dinner for the family.

Have that been just your experience?

I voted scratch off?

takeemtothebank

bob27's avatar - chakra man1.jpg
      chicago
      United States
      Member #34162
      February 28, 2006
      315 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2009, 9:44 am - IP Logged

I prefer NOT to play any game and still win LOL

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2009, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I prefer NOT to play any game and still win LOL

HAHA my first thought was I prefer to WIN!!!!!! Sun Smiley

United States
          Member #73512
          April 16, 2009
          106 Posts
          Posted: May 3, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I am getting very tired off scratch offs, especially since they are all predetermined and I never win more than 5 bucks off of them, but my vote goes for pick 3.  Yes, the odds are the best, but still not that good, and you only get a measly 500.  Give me pick 4 or pick 5 any day.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            Santa Ana
            United States
            Member #71159
            February 20, 2009
            651 Posts
            Posted: May 3, 2009, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

The Daily 3 is getting very hard to win and now the payoff is very low; I usually play the same number twice at one time so that if it does hit; I can win more; however, if it doesn't hit, then I loose twice; anyway once both of my numbers hit and they will very SOON, I am going to stop playing it and just play more of the Daily 4 & Fantasy 5 where the payoffs are larger; also I stopped playing the scratch offs all together because of the very low payoffs; I think CA Lottery should re-vamp all of the lottery games because they are getting boring!!!!

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
              Member #60535
              April 21, 2008
              460 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2009, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

i chose scratch offs but also Georgia's Win For Life comes to mind. $1000 a week for life.  sounds good right? well i'm an alabama resident.  GA and AL both have state taxes.  After federal, GA and AL taxes i might as well have not played at all.   If i'm going to gamble it's going to be for something big!

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2009, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

i chose scratch offs but also Georgia's Win For Life comes to mind. $1000 a week for life.  sounds good right? well i'm an alabama resident.  GA and AL both have state taxes.  After federal, GA and AL taxes i might as well have not played at all.   If i'm going to gamble it's going to be for something big!

Some states that are "next door" to each other have reciprical tax agreements for those folks who live in one state and earn their living in a neighboring state.I don't know whether Alabama & Georgia have such an agreement,but it would be worth checking into.It could be you might only have to pay taxes in one state if you win.

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                  Member #60535
                  April 21, 2008
                  460 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2009, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Some states that are "next door" to each other have reciprical tax agreements for those folks who live in one state and earn their living in a neighboring state.I don't know whether Alabama & Georgia have such an agreement,but it would be worth checking into.It could be you might only have to pay taxes in one state if you win.

wow, that's awesome, thanks!  I have been going to Georgia a lot on business lately and buying tix so I will definitely check up on that :)

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2009, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I picked pick 3.  I have never played them except for the time I had a dream showing three numbers,   the numbers only hit when I stopped playing.  they hit straight.   I also don't play pick 4.  I only now play one set of Super Lotto and two lines of Fantasy five.  The weird thing is, I actually hit $100 on a scratcher, but it still isnt my favorite.  But I still play a scratcher here and there.  I hit $10 a lot and $15 a few times on scratchers but most times I lose.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2009, 10:54 am - IP Logged

I immediately cast my vote for scratch (rip) offs because the few I did buy years ago made me feel as though I was just exchanging legal tender for worthless paper that dirtied my car (the grey scratch off stuff).  Had a few small dollar winners for a string, but I saw those as just a way to rope one into buying yet another scratch off that would be worthless.  From time to time, you hear about the person who purchased the "big" winner using the proceeds of a small dollar winner, but that story has never been told by me.

If I could have selected multiple responses, pick 3 and pick 4 would have been next on my list of prefer not to play since like an earlier poster noted, the win isn't life changing.  The way I figure it, if I am going to wager my dollar on a lottery game, I want that dollar to have the POTENTIAL to return me at a minimum $1million dollars after taxes (preferrably, but when Illinois Little Lotto jackpot hit $1million, I made an exception due to the somewhat better odds of winning and threw 2 or 3 bucks toward that drawing.).  It doesn't matter that I have never won Mega Millions, Powerball, or a Lotto jackpot that would net me over a million dollars.  I play for the dream of what I can do with that type of money, not on the need to win something at least periodically.

There have been times I have been in the same store when a Pick 3 winner or even a scratch off winner either came back to collect their winnings or in the case of the big scratch off winner, to talk about their lucky win of a few tens of thousands of dollars.  The one thing that struck me sometimes is that they would look at those of us who purchased the multi-state lottery tickets like we were fools to waste money on such a game.  The other thing that struck me is that their win didn't appreciably change their life at all...they were still driving some old beater or wearing the same wardrobe as before...even smoking and joking.  Joking is okay.  But when my lucky day comes when all 6 of the numbers on my Mega or Power ticket match that drawing, I can tell you I will be driving a nice luxury car, wearing suits that Rod Blagovitch only wishes he could buy today, and traveling to all the places in the world I always dreamed of visiting in first class style.  I also would be prudent and only accomplish that type of lifestyle off of the dividends and interest of a set aside portion of the winnings and smartly invest the rest for the long-term.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!