Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you claim Big Win Anonymously Do you sign ticket or not...

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Perfecttiming2.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
Member #65961
October 11, 2008
162 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2009, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Many on this site believe it is best to claim a jackpot prize anonymously....and (if your state allows it )

I totall agree....However....

HOW do you sign the ticket?

If you are splitting with one other person and you both agree on how to claim it:

• Do you leave the ticket unsigned until you form your entity (LLC, Partnership, Trust etc) AND then sign it with the name of the form entity?

OR

• Do you sign it regardless of how you claim it? .........And deal with the legalities afterwards.

It is confusing to me because I can't see having a ticket that's a jackpot winner and leaving it unsign UNTIL you form your entity....

For example,

If you want a financial institution (who will handle forming your entity) to also handle the press as well, and you already signed the ticket, does that mean that you can't have, let's say....your LLC claim the winnings because the LLC  was not formed at the time you won???........I hope I am making sense.....

And,

If you do form an LLC to claim the prize once you realize you've won, does the ticket remain unsigned until your LLC papers are filed and you sign it using your LLC (or trust, or partnership) name???

You always here stories of people taking their time to claim the prize because they formed a trust (or whatever) ......but I have yet to find any information on the step-by-step process.

Does anyone know how this works?

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    williamsburg,ohio
    United States
    Member #71029
    February 17, 2009
    603 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2009, 1:40 am - IP Logged

As soon as you know your a winner sign that ticket it will prove your the owner of that ticket.If you don't sign it and lets say someone finds it, you think they will give you the ticket back?? Can you prove its yours? No you can't. So sign it.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

marlon39's avatar - avatar 3245.jpg

Philippines
      Member #71195
      February 20, 2009
      226 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2009, 2:24 am - IP Logged

As soon as you know your a winner sign that ticket it will prove your the owner of that ticket.If you don't sign it and lets say someone finds it, you think they will give you the ticket back?? Can you prove its yours? No you can't. So sign it.

I Agree!

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."
      - Vince Lombardi

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2009, 2:54 am - IP Logged

IIRC, if you want a Trust that you've set up to at least try to keep your name out of the press release and the media the ticket needs to have the name of the Trust on the back to claim it.

I disagree, it can be easy to prove who owns a ticket if you either lose it and someone else claims it or if it's stolen from you, it's not too hard to make a photo copy (or several, maybe take a video/photo as well) while placing the original in a safe and secure location, not good for claiming but good for proof while keeping the original hidden away or if it is stolen though how anyone would be foolish enough to let a jackpot winning ticket out of their sight for even a second is beyond me. Well unless you're mugged, which would make one wonder how they found out in the first place. Not to mention security cameras that the store you bought it in will probably have showing you buying it at the same time your state's lottery commission shows the winning ticket was printed, then again perhaps the mugger worked for the store, heh. Anyone who steals a winning lottery ticket from someone who knowingly won is in this day and age is setting themselves up for some likely jail time and if it's a big one, a nice long prison sentence because they probably won't get away with it.

You can't predict random.

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
          williamsburg,ohio
          United States
          Member #71029
          February 17, 2009
          603 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2009, 5:03 am - IP Logged

IIRC, if you want a Trust that you've set up to at least try to keep your name out of the press release and the media the ticket needs to have the name of the Trust on the back to claim it.

I disagree, it can be easy to prove who owns a ticket if you either lose it and someone else claims it or if it's stolen from you, it's not too hard to make a photo copy (or several, maybe take a video/photo as well) while placing the original in a safe and secure location, not good for claiming but good for proof while keeping the original hidden away or if it is stolen though how anyone would be foolish enough to let a jackpot winning ticket out of their sight for even a second is beyond me. Well unless you're mugged, which would make one wonder how they found out in the first place. Not to mention security cameras that the store you bought it in will probably have showing you buying it at the same time your state's lottery commission shows the winning ticket was printed, then again perhaps the mugger worked for the store, heh. Anyone who steals a winning lottery ticket from someone who knowingly won is in this day and age is setting themselves up for some likely jail time and if it's a big one, a nice long prison sentence because they probably won't get away with it.

As I'm walking into the store where I buy my tickets, I pick up a ticket off the ground I put it in my pocket (not looking at it at that time )I get home for the heck on it I look up the nubers on the ticket to see if its a winner I find out that the ticket is worth 85 million.Now am I going to go back to the store and say "Hey I found this ticket on the ground and it worth 85 million,whose is it"?? No I am not.Its mind now unless it was sign buy the person who won it. 

As for cameras go the store where I get my tickets don't have them,and even if they did you would be on there buying your tickets but won't show what the numbers are.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

United States
            Member #65961
            October 11, 2008
            162 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2009, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Thanks DC81, Grandpa and Marlon39....I appreciate the response!

I did however, found the answer I was looking for....

• Make copies of original (front and back)
            • Secure the original it in a safe place
            • Hire a lawyer
            • Form a blind trust
            • Inform lottery official that you are claiming anonymously
            • Claim winnings under the blind trust name

In the state I live in they will let you claim prize anonymously.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
              Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2009, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks DC81, Grandpa and Marlon39....I appreciate the response!

I did however, found the answer I was looking for....

• Make copies of original (front and back)
              • Secure the original it in a safe place
              • Hire a lawyer
              • Form a blind trust
              • Inform lottery official that you are claiming anonymously
              • Claim winnings under the blind trust name

In the state I live in they will let you claim prize anonymously.

Going then by that, I guess that you leave it unsigned until after you form the blind trust (?).

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

United States
                Member #65961
                October 11, 2008
                162 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2009, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Going then by that, I guess that you leave it unsigned until after you form the blind trust (?).

Hi Lantern!

Based on what I found.....yes.

(I know, still makes me uncomfortable....)

From what I understand, the blind trust collects the winnings and you tell the representative of the institution (that formed the trust for you) what you want done with the money.

I am asking on this because I'd really, really like to know how it all works.

PS: I heard your ending quote today on the radio this morning.....Love it!!!!!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                  Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2009, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lantern!

Based on what I found.....yes.

(I know, still makes me uncomfortable....)

From what I understand, the blind trust collects the winnings and you tell the representative of the institution (that formed the trust for you) what you want done with the money.

I am asking on this because I'd really, really like to know how it all works.

PS: I heard your ending quote today on the radio this morning.....Love it!!!!!

Perfecttiming2

Do you mean my posts' signature?

The last or second part I got from LottoJet a LP member who posted for a very short time long ago.

Good Luck!

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                    North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #64582
                    September 1, 2008
                    347 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2009, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

Hey Perfecttiming2!

Thanks for that question because I've been wondering too! And it seems you came to the same conclusion I have: don't sign it, copy it, hide it, form LLC or Blind Trust.

I did hear that if you do sign it with your real name, they are legally bound to release that information. So even if you made a Blind Trust, if you sign it with your real name, then everyone will know who is getting the money.

I'm just curious...why would you do a Blind Trust over a LLC?

United States
                      Member #65961
                      October 11, 2008
                      162 Posts
                      Posted: April 19, 2009, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Perfecttiming2

Do you mean my posts' signature?

The last or second part I got from LottoJet a LP member who posted for a very short time long ago.

Good Luck!

Hi Lantern!

It's the two quotes below that I was referring to. 

(The one on Jerusalem is the one I heard on the radio the other morning....)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding"

"Ten measures of beauty descended on the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem"

United States
                        Member #65961
                        October 11, 2008
                        162 Posts
                        Posted: April 19, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Hey Perfecttiming2!

Thanks for that question because I've been wondering too! And it seems you came to the same conclusion I have: don't sign it, copy it, hide it, form LLC or Blind Trust.

I did hear that if you do sign it with your real name, they are legally bound to release that information. So even if you made a Blind Trust, if you sign it with your real name, then everyone will know who is getting the money.

I'm just curious...why would you do a Blind Trust over a LLC?

Hi dk1421!

You know I thought an LLC would be the best way to go as well.....

From what I understand, it is forming an LLC that will protect your assests from individuals or entities who would seek to obtain them (assests) through lawsuits.

I found on the internet where it mentioned that a Blind Trust should be formed if you want to claim lotto winnings.........but I am thinking that an LLC is just as good..........

I guess it really depends on what advice you are willing to go with.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2009, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Forming an LLC to collect lottery winnings won't protect the money, because the income from an LLC passes through to the partners, becoming their personal property.  All the LLC does is protect the partners against liability caused by the actions of the LLC. If a winner wants to start a business with the winnings, forming an LLC to conduct the business would be an option.

That said, the advice a sensible person would go with will be from an attorney, not the internet.

United States
                            Member #65961
                            October 11, 2008
                            162 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2009, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Forming an LLC to collect lottery winnings won't protect the money, because the income from an LLC passes through to the partners, becoming their personal property.  All the LLC does is protect the partners against liability caused by the actions of the LLC. If a winner wants to start a business with the winnings, forming an LLC to conduct the business would be an option.

That said, the advice a sensible person would go with will be from an attorney, not the internet.

KY Floyd

You are implying that I lack common sense and I do not appreciate you insulting me.

I am very well aware that an attorney would be appropriate WHEN I NEED ONE!

My question was to simply engage in conversation....my use of the internet provided the answer I was looking for to the question used for this post....

As a sensible person, I am aware that if a person wins the lottery, you go to an attorney...not the internet

I have never, ever been rude to anyone on this site....

And

Since you are such a sensible person, it would be nice if you could do the same.

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
                              Katy, Tx
                              United States
                              Member #67709
                              December 3, 2008
                              204 Posts
                              Posted: April 20, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Sign any ticket you have thats a winner!!  A lot of places that sell these tickets are claiming that they are not winners and then cashing them in if they are not signed!!!

They know who you are anyways when you go get your check!  So it makes no difference in that matter.

Lol playing the lottery.

JoeyMail For You