Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball and Mega Millions in every state

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2009, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Well it looks like previous news reports are coming true.  Pretty soon all lottery states will be offering Mega Millions and Powerball at the same time. 

But how will these games increase at all will this many potentail players.  We will have what 280,000,000 people playing these games.  If they don't increase the odds how will the jackpots ever get high again.  I mean look at now, we haven't seen a large jackpot in a very long time.

Brad

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
    Queens, NY
    United States
    Member #245
    April 15, 2002
    451 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2009, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

I for one will no longer buy the New York Lottery which takes forever to get to three or four million. I personally think the jackpots will continue to grow at the same rates as they do now. BTW didn't Powerball just change their odds or if they didn't already aren't they going to???

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
      Marquette, MI
      United States
      Member #20541
      August 20, 2005
      705 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2009, 12:44 am - IP Logged

What is the difference between spending $4/week on 4 $1 tickets or $4/week on 2 $2 tickets?

Which game will be the first to raise ticket prices to make their jackpots increase faster?

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

United States
        Member #67042
        November 14, 2008
        72 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2009, 1:19 am - IP Logged

I really don't think ticket prices will be raised! I think anything over 100 million sales increase rapidly, at least for the powerball. Thats just my opinion.

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2009, 5:46 am - IP Logged

First, 280M players? I'm fairly certain it's not even close to that even if you combine the total sales of both games unless it's a monster jackpot and even then that's sales, not people playing. This could IMO be the final nail in the coffin of many state lottery games that are already struggling, then there's the huge raise in the odds that would take place which I think would then turn off some and actually, perhaps drive people back to the smaller, single state lotteries, but I doubt it.

BTW, it hasn't been that long since the last large (I'll guess your definition of large for MM or PB would be 250M+) jackpots, last year had some 200+ million ones and there was the Georgia winner that was something like 270M and let's not forget that Mega Millions had two 300M+ jackpots in just 2007. It's no wonder it hasn't made it that high again, look at Powerball, they've raised the odds to a crazy number that's worse than MM even though PB with it's larger number of states, still has a smaller population (not counting the people from out of state) than the states that make up Mega Millions. Yet Powerball jackpots still haven't shot through the roof after four and a half months. Meh, I don't know, it's not my problem. I just don't think it would be a good idea and that would do more to hurt both games and the states than it would to help.

You can't predict random.