Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do confusing tickets lead to unaware winners?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by MRDNICE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #73512
April 16, 2009
106 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2009, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering this because several weeks ago, I bought 6 of those cashword tickets, yet I literally had to spend hours figuring out if I won anything.  I only bought them because I saw on the Michigan lotto website that there were 5 grand prizes left of 35000 (some 1000s and 100s too).  I also figured that since it was nearly a year old ticket, and there were still all those prizes left over, that most of the losing tickets were already purchased.  I only won 5 bucks (which is unfortunately my record for most won in the lotto).

However, now I wonder, maybe the winning tickets were already purchased, but people just threw them out, not understanding it or realizing they won.  I KNOW there are people like that out there who buy something and just forget about it, but since it confused me as well, I wonder how many may have won without realizing.  I would hate to see this happen, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Just an observation.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2009, 1:40 am - IP Logged

Just take your tickets into the retailer and have the cashier check them.  Be sure to watch the screen for every ticket.  Indeed, if you win something it will notify you of the win.  It is important to pay attention!!!  You don't want the cashier to rip you off!

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
      Member #73512
      April 16, 2009
      106 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2009, 10:40 am - IP Logged

Well, as of now, that's what I do, but does everyone who buys scratchers think to do that?

Talking Rock, GA
        United States
        Member #60369
        April 15, 2008
        398 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2009, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

It may take a while, but I always double- or triple-check the tickets and, even if it doesn't look like I've won anything, I scratch the area outside of the letters (or numbers if it's a bingo ticket) to reveal the validation letters.  On a couple of occasions, I didn't think I won anything and discovered "T-I-C" (for free ticket) as the validation letters, indicating a free ticket.  After checking the puzzle (or bingo cards) carefully again, I discovered that it was a winner.

Sometimes you absolutely MUST double- and triple-check, especially on a bingo ticket, EVEN if you have a winner.  We had a $3 bingo ticket called 2007 Bingo Party.  I caught 4 corners on card #1 for $10.  I knew I had a winner, but I scratched off the validation letters and noticed they were random (in GA, they're random with losers and $20 or better winners).  I double and triple checked and discovered I missed a number on card #3 which gave me a line on that card which was worth an additional $10 for a $20 winner.

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
          Atlantic Mine, Michigan
          United States
          Member #416
          June 23, 2002
          1614 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2009, 10:01 am - IP Logged

Well in Michigan its pretty easy to tell if you won or not.  After you play the ticket you scratch of the three letters around the scratch play area.  The three letters will tell you if you won a prize from $1 to $25.  Any prize over $25 (I believe) is just has a random set of three digits.  In the Cashword game $25 is 6 words, if you won a bigger prize you should be able to tell quite easily in this game because you will have over 6 words completely scratched.  Shouldn't be that hard.

Now I recently moved to Minnesota and its different here.  They don't have the letters so it makes it a little harder.  I mean back in Michigan I would remember many times winning $2 or $5 without realizing it because I forgot to scratch a letter or something but the letters would tell me I won that much.  Without the letters here its hard and you have to really go over your ticket well to see if you won or not.  It does take longer.  I used to hate those letters because sometimes you accidently scratch them before you want to.  Now I miss them...haha

Brad

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            22968 Posts
            Posted: May 8, 2009, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Scratch off tickets here in Pa have always been pretty straight forward and simple.

The newer $10.00 Lucky Shamrock ticket changed my thinking a couple months ago.

There are 3 play areas:  A tic-tac-toe game at the top, a quick win box at the top

right side, a game in the middle and a find a leprechaun in the bottom play area.

It's the middle game I thought was awfully deceptive. Instead of a MATCH your

number to the play numbers, it's BEAT the play numbers.

Ex.

Your #: 8  Play numbers: 9 10 15 7

On a ticket like this, you would win by beating the 7 with your 8.

Looks like a loser if you're looking to match an 8.

I think there's a tendency to assume certain things with these games. Many games

have been MATCH your number to the play numbers and WIN. Not BEAT the play

numbers. I was quite angry and felt almost hoodwinked by the PA Lottery when

I realized that some people were going to assume they had to look for a match.

It may be just me, but I thought that was a dirty trick.

Sure it was explained, in tiny print I might add, how to play. Always, always read

the game descriptions. I see many older folks sitting and examining their tickets and

can't help but wonder much the same thing you are thinking. Just how many have

been discarded because it is difficult to SEE or determine if you have a winner.

I do not remember another game like this for PA Instants. This game variation just

seemed underhanded to me. Sure, people would eventually catch on but...how many

winners were tossed in the meantime?

PA has added letters such as: B Q P Z J and so on to their NEW games. That is

a great verifying tool. You just need to rub the whole play area and find a letter. Used

to be that only parenthesis were used with the win amount in them. The letters above

mean no winner. S X V F T H N are winners. Sickening also to think that when they

initiated the letter system,  people were most likely looking for parenthesis which

looked like this:

554435 (100.00) 4998832 <<< winner (old tickets)

3343545456564466 <<< no winner (old tickets)

New tickets overlapped the older tickets of course and new tickets looked like this:

34080279873849 <<< could be a winner, could be a loser

So people who were line scratchers - rubbing the number line only to see if it contained

a dollar amount - and did not see anything there were probably tossing winners too for

awhile.

Time goes on, news gets out and around and now we know. Whatever was tossed/trashed

who will ever know?

Good rules of thumb:

Don't assume anything.

Get a magnifying glass if necessary.

Rub the whole play area.

And - yes - take it to the retailer. Watch them like a hawk too if you don't know them considering

the recent busts that have been in the news lately regarding clerks pocketing winners and telling

the ticket holder the ticket was a LOSER.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
              MICHIGAN
              United States
              Member #65282
              September 22, 2008
              1992 Posts
              Posted: May 8, 2009, 11:08 am - IP Logged

I have notice that. I brought 2 of those scratch-off amazing 500. i could

not tell if i had won or not. When u go to the retailer they punch in the

numbers at the bottom, they don't show up on the screen. I have one

store where i trust the guy.  B careful people, they have had a couple

states that r stealing people winning tickets.  I'm sure there r some in

MI as well.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                North Dakota
                United States
                Member #13397
                April 5, 2005
                1623 Posts
                Posted: May 8, 2009, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Just be aware of the situation.  If you win, ask for a winning receipt.  Do your research and make sure everything verifies.  ALSO, if you think you won something, sign the back of your ticket.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

MRDNICE's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                  Burlington, NC
                  United States
                  Member #73620
                  April 20, 2009
                  282 Posts
                  Posted: May 11, 2009, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

i know in NC its like this on the scratch offs. it spells out what you win up to $25 after that the letters are scrambled.

$1 - one        $7 - svn           $25 - twf

$2 - two        $8 - egt

$3 - thr          $9 - nin

$4 - for          $10 - ten

$5 - fiv           $15 - fft

$6 - six          $20 - twn

brownsy's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Powhatan-Va
                    United States
                    Member #75040
                    May 25, 2009
                    1054 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2009, 9:54 am - IP Logged

the VA scratch offs are the same- which makes it easier to find out if you are a winner or not-- as compared

to NY MD FL the codes are very confusing

MRDNICE's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                      Burlington, NC
                      United States
                      Member #73620
                      April 20, 2009
                      282 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2009, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

i noticed that va spells all the amounts out. i saw a ticket for 1000 and it was tho