Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 3:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Group Claim Form?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ambelamba.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2009, 12:53 am - IP Logged

I read about this from a lottery guide book. What do you guys know about this? Seems like the form allows me to share the prize with my family members without worrying about the gift tax. Basically, you add your family members as the co-claimants, then assign percentages of the winning to them. (ie: me-60%, dad-10%, mom-10%...etc)

When I mentioned about sharing the prize, some of you guys didn't seem to know about the form. It's kinda interesting.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
    Portland,Oregon
    United States
    Member #14387
    April 25, 2005
    229 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2009, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

I read about this from a lottery guide book. What do you guys know about this? Seems like the form allows me to share the prize with my family members without worrying about the gift tax. Basically, you add your family members as the co-claimants, then assign percentages of the winning to them. (ie: me-60%, dad-10%, mom-10%...etc)

When I mentioned about sharing the prize, some of you guys didn't seem to know about the form. It's kinda interesting.

No gift tax? Well true, but each recipient would be responsible for taxes owed on their percentage of the jackpot.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: April 20, 2009, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Why would that surprise you?  I doubt if more than a couple of the members has ever had a chance to share a lottery jackpot, either one that they won or one someone else won and wanted to share it with them .

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
        williamsburg,ohio
        United States
        Member #71029
        February 17, 2009
        603 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2009, 12:48 am - IP Logged

I think you may need to split it by how many people you plan on giving money too and they pay there share of taxes.What i have seen in the past is most states will write more than one check but at a even amount.Now if you wanted to give money to family members then your have to deal with gift tax.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3114 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2009, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Maybe because not every state has a group claim or pool form and those that do vary including having to fill it out and file it before playing, and everyone shares evenly.  Check with your lottery web site, call the office, if you get someone that only "thinks" they know the answer ask for someone who actually knows and get a copy.

BobP

"The rules of your village are not the laws of the universe." Robert Heinlein

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7344 Posts
            Posted: April 21, 2009, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

It depends on which state lottery. You can split the jackpot in half with Mom or Dad or all three of you will get  1/3, but I know of no state lottery that will allow you to portion it out in unequal amounts.

Entertaiment Capital
              United States
              Member #37800
              April 19, 2006
              302 Posts
              Posted: May 10, 2009, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

It depends on which state lottery. You can split the jackpot in half with Mom or Dad or all three of you will get  1/3, but I know of no state lottery that will allow you to portion it out in unequal amounts.

I checked a book titled Lottery-Winners' Guide. It says some states allow you to share some percentage with others.