Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Creating An iPhone App Section?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ZEN.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #73685
April 22, 2009
2 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2009, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

I just posted an inquiry in the Lottery System forum but wanted to open it up for general discussion as well.  Considering the rise in Lotto apps for the iPhone and iTouch, should a section be created to offer opinions and reviews on each of these apps?  I am curious to know which ones have been tried and how successful or unsuccessful they are, or perhaps the creation of polls that could offer insight as to which ones are the best or worst.  I would love to get everyone's feedback on the idea.

Thanks

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23277 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2009, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I understand what you're asking, but as a new member, you need to realize that when your first post starts touting specific iPhone apps, you are viewed as quite possibly one of the product's owners, looking to get free advertising.

I am wondering what you are looking to do with an iPhone app - without mentioning product names.  Also, why are you looking to do it with an iPhone app, as opposed to simply using the built-in Safari web browser to use a web app?  (Which are plentiful)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

St Augustine
      United States
      Member #73786
      April 24, 2009
      6 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2009, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I understand what you're asking, but as a new member, you need to realize that when your first post starts touting specific iPhone apps, you are viewed as quite possibly one of the product's owners, looking to get free advertising.

I am wondering what you are looking to do with an iPhone app - without mentioning product names.  Also, why are you looking to do it with an iPhone app, as opposed to simply using the built-in Safari web browser to use a web app?  (Which are plentiful)

I am an independent iPhone developer who happens to like playing the lottery.  I will not mention any applications, but I can see several advantages of using a native application versus a web browser application.  The most important being a native application doesn't require a constant network connection to work (sometime walking into a store my network drops significantly).  Also, since there is money involved, a native application user would get a sense of privacy since all information(playing habits) could be kept on the device and not in a remote server (although secure).  I don't know about you, but if I win the Powerball or Mega I don't want some nosey administrator figuring who am I by running a database query. LOL

But seriously, a web app is great, but has its limitations.  That being said, you have a great iPhone product and its free.  Anyone competing with it will have to come up with additional features that's not currently provided in the current implementation.  So, it might be useful to create a section but I do see the conflict of interest.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: April 25, 2009, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Isn't that a bit too much nichè? If there should be this kind of section it should be about lottery software in general.

St Augustine
          United States
          Member #73786
          April 24, 2009
          6 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2009, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Isn't that a bit too much nichè? If there should be this kind of section it should be about lottery software in general.

I can understand viewing Mac computers as being in a niche market (since they are relatively expensive compared to PCs), but with over 1 billion apps downloads(although many free) in roughly in 9 months, the iPhone platform is hardly a niche, it's quickly becoming mainstream.  If the prices continue to come down and the 3.0 Release addresses some of major deficiencies that the product has since launching, it's going to be difficult to ignore.  I have over 22 years of programming experience (C/Unix/Java, etc), last year I jumped on the iPhone bandwagon (accidentally) after attending a week (7days) long Objective-C course where half of the final day(unexpectedly) was an introduction to the iPhone.  What shocked me was how similar the iPhone OS was to the Mac OS running on the desktop.  What this means is the 10+ years of experience Apple has on the OS X desktop was literally transfered to the mobile device.  What this means is, if you're a desktop OS X programmer, you already knew most of what was needed to develop an application.  That is one of the major reasons there are so many apps in a relatively short amount of time.  But also, the iPhone OS is ahead of the curve because Apple did not need to invent it from scratch.  What this really means is all of the other manufacturer are several years behind and playing catch-up.

Now, I don't want to make it sound like Apple is perfect by any means.  In fact, their application review process is very problematic.  Sometimes, your application gets lost(not reviewed for weeks) in the process.  They literally work 7 days a week to review apps.  So, it appears they are simply swamped but that is really no excuse.  I don't mind delays as long as I am in the loop.  Not knowing when an urgent fix is going to make it into the store is very frustrating.

So, Apple has its problems.  But back to the topic.  So, an iPhone specific section may not be needed at the moment but something dealing with mobile apps may be useful to the users.  But based on the number of new apps dealing with lotteries at the app store, it may quickly become an iPhone/iPod Touch section.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2009, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

If this iPone App forum was created you will be the only one posting in it.

ZEN's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
              CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
              United States
              Member #40436
              June 1, 2006
              180 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2009, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

MW,

I disagree. it seems he knows what he's talking about. I have a IPhone and would love to have lottery apps on it. I have one made for Lottery post and My statesite already. I think he should run a poll ? Just my 2 cents.

ZEN