Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this the largest

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 8 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2009, 12:08 am - IP Logged

..jackpot to expire in FL?    A $24 million Florida Lotto ticket is going to expire on May 11.   It was purchased very close to where I live.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
    Portland,Oregon
    United States
    Member #14387
    April 25, 2005
    229 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2009, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Did you go back and check all your old tickets?

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2009, 12:45 am - IP Logged

..jackpot to expire in FL?    A $24 million Florida Lotto ticket is going to expire on May 11.   It was purchased very close to where I live.

Wow, $24 million dollars could go unclaimed. No Nod

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

California
        United States
        Member #61514
        May 25, 2008
        67 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2009, 1:09 am - IP Logged

How do these things happen? What?

If it does expire, I hope the "winner" never finds out.  Can you imagine having to live with that? 

I did a search for the largest unclaimed jackpot in Florida.  This is from the Florida Lottery website.

Nov. 11, 2003 -

The largest unclaimed FLORIDA LOTTO™ ticket, an estimated $53.7 million, ($30.1 million Cash Option) sold in North Bay Village, expires after the 180-day redemption deadline. A special one-time deposit was made into the EETF in the amount of $30.1 million.

EETF = Educational Enhancement Trust Fund

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
          Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: April 23, 2009, 3:09 am - IP Logged

Sad news indeed. I wish the winner, or soon to be would step up or that person will miss out on a lifetime blessing.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2009, 3:40 am - IP Logged

Thank you, bytheshore!   Wow, I forgot about that one.   Shocking.   We've had discussions on this board about tickets that go unclaimed and it's really a shame.  I just want to win a pick 5!  Even a free ticket would be nice the way things have been going lately.

dkjlaugh - I can't remember ever buying a ticket there, but that's a good idea, although I check my numbers every night.  The other day I couldn't find one of my Lotto tickets and was on my hands and knees searching for it.  I cleaned out my pocketbook and then I went outside and looked in my car.  I finally found it on the floor behind my desk.  Must have blown off when the air conditioner went on.  In other words, it's unlikely I bought the subject Lotto ticket.   However, I do plan to use a paperweight from now on! Smiley

FL should really give players a year to claim their prizes, although I'm not sure that would make a difference or cut down on the number of unclaimed prizes.

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              985 Posts
              Posted: April 24, 2009, 6:18 am - IP Logged

Whomever won this is a fool, either for losing their ticket or not having had enough sense to check it or check it properly. Especially if it was someone from out of state..

Maybe whomever bought the winning ticket died before they could claim it?

You can't predict random.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2009, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Well, I have to give some credit to the Florida Lottery for trying its best to find the winner but, unless he/she was watching the 11:00 news last evening and ran to get the ticket validated, it expired at midnight.  Wow!  $24 million bucks.  In my blog I posted a video about the State of Emergency in a FL county where unemployment is 40% in some areas and familes have nowhere to go.  Maybe this is why reading about an unclaimed $24 million jackpot is so mind-boggling.  I don't talk about the lottery to my family, but I have a note in my safe deposit box with the rest of my papers that tells my sister to check my lottery numbers and where I keep my tickets in case I kick the bucket.   Yes Nod

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19826 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2009, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Unless I kick the bucket within an hour of the drawing, the winning numbers will be high lighted on my lottery tickets and they will be on my work desk.  I usually buy my tickets within an hour of the drawings and either watch the drawing on TV or check the results on the internet as soon as they are posted and mark my tickets.Yes Nod

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking