Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

winning then playing with your winnings

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Classic47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
philly
United States
Member #73694
April 22, 2009
1 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2009, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

say you win a  pick 5. then with part of the winnings you play again. but you wheel  enough numbers to win over and over again.  is there any kind of rule saying you cant do that? or if is even possible?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2009, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

If you can do it on paper then you can do it for real.  The problem is, you probably can't do it on paper any easier than you can do it for real.  Trying to do it on paper will answer your question.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3112 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2009, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

say you win a  pick 5. then with part of the winnings you play again. but you wheel  enough numbers to win over and over again.  is there any kind of rule saying you cant do that? or if is even possible?

The odds of winning the game's jackpot are the same as the number of lines you would have to play to guarantee a jackpot.  This only works for jackpots, the odds of lower tier prizes do not equal the number of lines necessary to guarantee that prize. 

Anyway, you would have to wait until the prize rolled over to be worth more then the number of lines necessary to play to win.  Then if you won, you would have to wait again for the jackpot to grow bigger then the odds.  The problem is the probability of multiple winners splitting the jackpot when the prize grows large enough to attract many more players.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  BobP

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: April 24, 2009, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  BobP

Players checking their own lottery tickets after a drawing is fairly easy and yet a lot of players don't.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #73512
          April 16, 2009
          106 Posts
          Posted: April 28, 2009, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Since I haven't won anything over 5 bucks, I decided that when I DO win big (at least 100) only spend 10 bucks or so on more lotto tickets.  Of course, if I won millions, I wouldn't need to buy any more tickets, but that may not ever happen.  For 1 or 2 dollar prizes, I just buy more scratchers or use them to buy mega millions or classic 47.