Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question about Excel 2007 for dummies books

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
Chicago
United States
Member #70678
February 8, 2009
889 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2009, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

OK......if anyone can help me.......I know you guys can! I have Excel 2007 on my PC! I have never used it and have no idea what all I can do with it.

In another thread Gasmeterguy suggested along with Excel to get the book VBA for dummies.

LOL this is where the question comes in........

I went to Borders website and did a search on "microsoft Excel 2007 VBA for dummies" There are quite a few books in the dummies series (including one for data analysis and one for formulas and functions) Plus there were a few other books  that had to do with Excel and VBA and I want to say macros?

As much as I would love to go to Borders and look through the books and pick one or two I have no idea what I'm looking for. LOL HELP! I'm hoping some of you may be familiar with any of these books and can steer me in the right direction. I'm open for suggestions and please remember I'm a total beginner and I know absolutely nothing about spreadsheets.

Thanks guys!

United States
    Member #41846
    June 23, 2006
    459 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2009, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Ca-dreamin

I can't say much about the vba for dummies series. I have sevearl books on visual basic. they were all a waste of time and money.  do a google search for an excel tutorial.  there's more info there than you can digest in several months. as you progresss you can search for specific topics. 

excel has many capabilities that have nothing to do with VBA. start by learning how to use the built in functions and commands. graduate to vba when you want to do something that requires programming.

good luck

p8

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2009, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

OK......if anyone can help me.......I know you guys can! I have Excel 2007 on my PC! I have never used it and have no idea what all I can do with it.

In another thread Gasmeterguy suggested along with Excel to get the book VBA for dummies.

I went to Borders website and did a search on "microsoft Excel 2007 VBA for dummies" There are quite a few books in the dummies series (including one for data analysis and one for formulas and functions) Plus there were a few other books  that had to do with Excel and VBA and I want to say macros?

As much as I would love to go to Borders and look through the books and pick one or two I have no idea what I'm looking for. LOL HELP! I'm hoping some of you may be familiar with any of these books and can steer me in the right direction. I'm open for suggestions and please remember I'm a total beginner and I know absolutely nothing about spreadsheets.

Thanks guys!

2007 is a bit over-the-top from what I've heard about it. Starting from zero, you won't have to un-learn anything, though.

Just starting out, I would look for a (gently usedWink) book in the "Teach Yourself _____ in 24 Hours" or "Teach Yourself _____ in 21 Days" family.

You might even have a tutorial buried on your PC.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Chicago
        United States
        Member #70678
        February 8, 2009
        889 Posts
        Posted: April 25, 2009, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

To phileight as well as time*treat,

Hey guys! Thanks for taking the time to respond. At least now I know where to start! : )

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2009, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

The book I used was "VBA for Microsoft Office 2000".  ISBN is 0-672-31567-X.

Now this book is full of VBA stuff.  I use very little of it.  When I wanted to know how to program something to achive a goal, I read this book to find the answer.  I skippied over drop-down boxes, pull-down menus, charts, Data Access Objects, and the like.  All I wanted to know was how to program my Excel to achieve a certain result.  If the time ever comes when I want to know something else, then I will go to the book.

I do like the "Teach Yourself _____ in 21 days" books but have never bought one.  They might be extremely helpful.

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
            Member #73037
            April 3, 2009
            147 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2009, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

ca-dreamin*,

Good for you. I have discovered that the first book needed in any subject is a "get to konw" book. It sounds very minor, but before you can do much of anything, you need to know some basics about the program that you'll be working with. All of the previous coments are also correct. But get to know the program first, then start experinmenting to discovery. I'm still learning... Good luck.

United Kingdom
              Member #70630
              February 7, 2009
              734 Posts
              Posted: April 26, 2009, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Thanks guys!

Hi my friend you can find everything you want to know within the Excel program itself go through the menu bar at the top of the spreadsheet open everything in each file and it is there, Macros as well you can even link to MS and get help from them it's years since I used it but it could only have improved.

Regards,

Sometimes we can't see the woods for tree's, " so we have to clear a path "

Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: April 26, 2009, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

The book I used was "VBA for Microsoft Office 2000".  ISBN is 0-672-31567-X.

Now this book is full of VBA stuff.  I use very little of it.  When I wanted to know how to program something to achive a goal, I read this book to find the answer.  I skippied over drop-down boxes, pull-down menus, charts, Data Access Objects, and the like.  All I wanted to know was how to program my Excel to achieve a certain result.  If the time ever comes when I want to know something else, then I will go to the book.

I do like the "Teach Yourself _____ in 21 days" books but have never bought one.  They might be extremely helpful.

Hey Gasmeterguy,

The first time I did a google search for VBA for dummies  I found a book with that title as well as an excel 2007 version. Then I did a search on Borders website and yikes. Talk about confusing.

I've never heard of the "Teach Yourself" books so I'm very grateful for this suggestion. HAHA maybe I need to start with one on getting to know my computer. : ) When I bought my PC 2 years ago my daughter got me to buy Microsoft Office 2007. I don't use it so I didn't realize I  already had excel.

At the very least I do need to start from the beginning. LOL now that I know what that is : )

Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #70678
                  February 8, 2009
                  889 Posts
                  Posted: April 26, 2009, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

ca-dreamin*,

Good for you. I have discovered that the first book needed in any subject is a "get to konw" book. It sounds very minor, but before you can do much of anything, you need to know some basics about the program that you'll be working with. All of the previous coments are also correct. But get to know the program first, then start experinmenting to discovery. I'm still learning... Good luck.

Yah without really knowing anything about Excel I thought  maybe it was as easy as here's Excel......here's what you can do with it and here is how you do it. LOL there I go dreamin'!

You're absolutely right! I need to learn the basics and get to know the program : )

Once I learn the basics.......then maybe I'll take another look at the books. At least then I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking at .

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: April 26, 2009, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Hi my friend you can find everything you want to know within the Excel program itself go through the menu bar at the top of the spreadsheet open everything in each file and it is there, Macros as well you can even link to MS and get help from them it's years since I used it but it could only have improved.

Regards,

Ok billybouy I will try this! Thanks : )

Chicago
                      United States
                      Member #70678
                      February 8, 2009
                      889 Posts
                      Posted: April 26, 2009, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Ca-dreamin

I can't say much about the vba for dummies series. I have sevearl books on visual basic. they were all a waste of time and money.  do a google search for an excel tutorial.  there's more info there than you can digest in several months. as you progresss you can search for specific topics. 

excel has many capabilities that have nothing to do with VBA. start by learning how to use the built in functions and commands. graduate to vba when you want to do something that requires programming.

good luck

p8

I did a search and found a few FREE yay tutorials that I really like. One of them is for Excel 2007 and literally takes you step by step. WOW I've got alot to learn but this is just what I need : ) Once I start learning my way around Excel I'll take your suggestion and search for more specific topics.

Sometimes I forget how useful Google can be! LOL

Thanks phileight !!!!!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: April 30, 2009, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

There are a series of vid tutorials on 'tube. I'd watch them, myself,  but then I might have to unlearn my bad habits.LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Chicago
                          United States
                          Member #70678
                          February 8, 2009
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: May 1, 2009, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

There are a series of vid tutorials on 'tube. I'd watch them, myself,  but then I might have to unlearn my bad habits.LOL

LOL! Yah I saw some of those too! I'd probably have to stop and start them a hundred times. : )