Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Creating an iPhone Section

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by nilor.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you be interested in creating a section to discuss iPhone Lottery Apps

Not interested [ 11 ]  [61.11%]
Somewhat interested [ 1 ]  [5.56%]
Interested, but should be general (all mobile dev) [ 1 ]  [5.56%]
Interested, and should be iPhone specific [ 1 ]  [5.56%]
Very interested [ 3 ]  [16.67%]
Neutral [ 1 ]  [5.56%]
Total Valid Votes [ 18 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
St Augustine
United States
Member #73786
April 24, 2009
6 Posts
Posted: April 26, 2009, 2:44 am - IP Logged

With the tremendous growth of the iPhone as a mobile device and the availability of numerous applications dealing with lotteries, would you be interested in creating a section at the Lottery Post to discuss these native and web applications.  In case you are not familiar with the differences between a native and a web application, a native application resides on the device and may occasionally connect to the network to retrieve information.  A web application on the other hand, is totally dependent on a remote server to perform any work, much like your web mail (gmail, hotmail, etc).  One of the advantages of the iPhone is both (native and web) apps have almost the same look and feel.  And both, have advantages and disadvantages.  In case you are not familiar with the app store, it is a place that allows developers to sell their native applications, after they have gone thru an approval process by Apple.  Web applications on the other hand are accessed thru the Apple safari web browser on the device.  One of the deficiencies of the App Store is once you buy, you are stuck with it.  So users are often hesitant to buy.  The App Store has a 1 to 5 star rating system, but unscrupulous developers often skew the results by having their friends provide unwarranted raving reviews.  This new section can serve as a way to be informed of the useful and the not so useful applications lurking at the app store.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: April 26, 2009, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Perhaps one day I'll have an app. The developer's fee is quite costly, also need to learn how to code the thing to work, but that's quite advanced stuff with SDK and XCode. Would be good to use it on my iphone the things I created in excel (due to the lack of real software programing knowledge), and that limit one to be stationary, not mobile. Love using iphone apps, the latest one I downloaded was FML, it's amusing.

Anyway, I think if a forum section is created it would be under "Lottery Software" or something in that nature. With over 1 billion downloads of iphone apps, it's still small comparing to other softwares (PC and MAC) combined that are not lottery related. So having a forum that opens up to software creations and discussions will allow all developers with lottery interests to join in. Each in their own threads under one roof.

St Augustine
      United States
      Member #73786
      April 24, 2009
      6 Posts
      Posted: April 26, 2009, 10:03 am - IP Logged

The price of the developer fee is actually relative.  For $100 annually, you get all of the tools (xcode, interface builder, instruments), tech support and most importantly access to millions of potential customers around the world.  The $100 may also be a way to discourage people from signing up who are not going to develop apps.  Also, Apple keeps 30% of the proceeds from the sales  to cover the fulfillment(download, update notifications, billing) of your application to users.  So, it is not a trivial process to develop and maintain a native application.  Believe it or not, Apple retest every release of your application to make sure it is compliant with their rules.  I think this is crazy. 

A web app can be as complex as any website on the internet.  You're basically using hooks into Apple's safari browser to make a web application appear like a native application.  So, if you already have a website that provides some content, you can automatically route users who access the site from a mobile safari browser to a version optimized for their smaller screen.  So, a web app may be the way to go, if you are already on the web.

Scott311's avatar - 311 logo01.jpg
        N.C.
        United States
        Member #59229
        March 9, 2008
        327 Posts
        Posted: April 26, 2009, 11:00 am - IP Logged

This is a great idea!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2659 Posts
          Posted: April 26, 2009, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Lurkingcolor me curious ......

ZEN's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
            CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
            United States
            Member #40436
            June 1, 2006
            180 Posts
            Posted: April 26, 2009, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

ZEN

United States
              Member #33295
              February 19, 2006
              699 Posts
              Posted: April 26, 2009, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

The price of the developer fee is actually relative.  For $100 annually, you get all of the tools (xcode, interface builder, instruments), tech support and most importantly access to millions of potential customers around the world.  The $100 may also be a way to discourage people from signing up who are not going to develop apps.  Also, Apple keeps 30% of the proceeds from the sales  to cover the fulfillment(download, update notifications, billing) of your application to users.  So, it is not a trivial process to develop and maintain a native application.  Believe it or not, Apple retest every release of your application to make sure it is compliant with their rules.  I think this is crazy. 

A web app can be as complex as any website on the internet.  You're basically using hooks into Apple's safari browser to make a web application appear like a native application.  So, if you already have a website that provides some content, you can automatically route users who access the site from a mobile safari browser to a version optimized for their smaller screen.  So, a web app may be the way to go, if you are already on the web.

Sounds like a cheap price for the potential outcome.
              Who do you contact to get started?

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

St Augustine
                United States
                Member #73786
                April 24, 2009
                6 Posts
                Posted: April 26, 2009, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Do a google search on "Apple Developer" and you should have all the information you need.  The iPhone approval process takes a few weeks.  But once you sign up as a basic mac developer, which is free by the way, you get access to everything.  The iPhone approval lets you actually install a native application on the physical device for testing.  So, before you are approve you must test on the iPhone simulator, which is this iPhone looking application.

United States
                  Member #33295
                  February 19, 2006
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: April 26, 2009, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info, nilo.

I have an app I'm going to try to submit.

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

St Augustine
                    United States
                    Member #73786
                    April 24, 2009
                    6 Posts
                    Posted: April 28, 2009, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

FYI, most applications that runs on an iPhone will also run on an iPod Touch.  In the latest iterations of iPod Touches, the only different between the iPhone and iPod Touch is the cell Phone and vibrate feature.  So, most discussions referring to iPhones includes iPod Touches.  So, if you have an iPod Touch and a wireless network, you may benefit from these discussions.  I hope this doesn't change anybody's vote :-)

But seriously, I hope this clears up any confusion.