Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dateline Sunday Show

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by corius$1918!.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
Member #47420
November 4, 2006
3930 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2009, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Who goes into a store and says check my ticket to see if I have a winner while I go shopping?..You should know if you have a winner or not..That show was just plain stupid..

lilburn ga
    United States
    Member #72035
    March 8, 2009
    14 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2009, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

this was an investigation

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2009, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Who goes into a store and says check my ticket to see if I have a winner while I go shopping?..You should know if you have a winner or not..That show was just plain stupid..

I saw a young lady do that at a local Speed Way gas station a couple of months ago.  The clerk was someone she was friendly with and trusted to check a handful of tickets while she filled a cup with soda and when she returned to the counter as expected she didn't have any winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2009, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

California lottery inspecters do...and they bust clerks who are stupid enough to steal from them!

Keep up the good work,California lottery inspecters!

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
          North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2009, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/192943

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Espanola NM
            United States
            Member #72722
            March 25, 2009
            133 Posts
            Posted: May 4, 2009, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Out of curiosity....how exactly does the system prevent clerks from stealing from legitimate winners?

I know most stores have cameras to indentify actual purchasers at the point-of-sale.  I also know there are undercover investigators who go to the stores and test the clerk to see if the correct winnings/notice are delivered to the customer.

However, lets see a unsuspecting customers arrives to the store with a stack of tickets.   They aren't aware of the actual winning numbers from the drawing.   They simply ask the retailer to let the machine give the payout results.   Since the customer is ignorant of the winning numbers and/or payout.....they take the retailer's word and never see the ticket again.

But couldn't a lottery clerk lie and say they found the winning ticket on the floor outside?  Especially if the clerk waits awhile before showing up to lottery headquarters to redeem the ticket.  Retailers scan thousands of tickets each day.   How will investigators prove that the clerk stole one of the tickets from a customer?

tiber's avatar - underground
              Port Orange florida
              United States
              Member #8611
              November 11, 2004
              2265 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2009, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

the problem is that thy used two dummy ticket to set up the sting operation, that worked for doing the show but their is no way that will work in real life. Dateline those these shows for entrapment and ratings purpose.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                CA
                United States
                Member #57222
                December 23, 2007
                587 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2009, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I just checked the  "you might be rich" website and found out I have money coming to me!  It was a $50 refund from one of those "build your home based business  with our software programs!"  I bought but found out it was a scam. ( I should have known since it was an informercial) It was over  6 years ago that I bought the program but  gave up after never hearing back with the refund I requested.  California had my back on this one.  Now if it can help me out with the  fantasy five!

United States
                  Member #58528
                  February 18, 2008
                  710 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2009, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

the problem is that thy used two dummy ticket to set up the sting operation, that worked for doing the show but their is no way that will work in real life. Dateline those these shows for entrapment and ratings purpose.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention.Todd has posted several stories about states,including California,that are running stings and busting clerks for stealing lottery winnings.They aren't getting them all but at least some states are making an effort.

United States
                    Member #67052
                    November 15, 2008
                    80 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2009, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

The Dateline show was great and i'm glad more states are doing random  investigations.  I believe show pointed out problems that exist.  i"m glad for the machines that are in some stores that allow you to check your tickets yourself.  i'm speaking of scratch off tickets unlike online games where results are available on the website. 

i photo copied a couple of tickets before giving to the retailer. hold em poker, which i know nothing about. i only did that after previously being told by a clerk that ticket was not a winner.  also, i now get back any tickets that don't win, i will not leave for the clerk to destroy.  i do believe the majority of retailers are honest.