Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Calculating a percentage

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
Member #73037
April 3, 2009
147 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2009, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I suspect the people that win these things have nothing to do with web site.... "Just play"

Good evening chattanoogadog,

I suspect that your right.

Several people have told me that one cannot pick winning numbers since all games are random. It's just luck they tell me.

That to me is a challange.

So I'd like to learn as much as possible to be able to have better "odds" of the numbers I choose hitting instead of just spending money. I look at it as an investment in my future. That my sound odd, but then I've been told worse.

Hope your "luck" is beter than mine...

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    Chicago
    United States
    Member #70678
    February 8, 2009
    889 Posts
    Posted: May 8, 2009, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I suspect the people that win these things have nothing to do with web site.... "Just play"

I know alot of people that "just play" and they aren't winning more than a couple dollars here and there.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Chicago
      United States
      Member #70678
      February 8, 2009
      889 Posts
      Posted: May 8, 2009, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Good evening chattanoogadog,

I suspect that your right.

Several people have told me that one cannot pick winning numbers since all games are random. It's just luck they tell me.

That to me is a challange.

So I'd like to learn as much as possible to be able to have better "odds" of the numbers I choose hitting instead of just spending money. I look at it as an investment in my future. That my sound odd, but then I've been told worse.

Hope your "luck" is beter than mine...

Not to get off topic but here goes...... I used to enter sweepstakes. For sending in one 3 by 5 piece of paper with my name, addy, phone number, etc. I won a 42" plasma TV with a surround sound DVD player and a check for 200 dollars. Yet everyone I know says that sweepstakes aren't real and nobody wins those. REALLY?

So while several people try to convince you it's just luck.........keep doing what your doing! I'd be willing to bet they've never looked at past draws. Everyone I know buys QPs or plays "special" numbers. If they want to believe that's what will win....let them believe it.

Like you I want to put the odds in my favor!

United Kingdom
        Member #31295
        January 27, 2006
        73 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2009, 7:19 am - IP Logged

That's true but its good now that even an a suppossedly random game you can pick out patterns and systems that help you pick numbers.

A person waiting to be struck by lightning isnt going to go out into the middle of a desert. They know theres a better chance of being hit by going to the right place at the right time - raining season.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7325 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2009, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Morning all,

I hope someone is able to answer this question for me.

I'm attempting to calculate the percentage of times that a number shows up in a drawing verses the number of times the same number has showed up in the history of the draws.

For instance: Power Ball Game    Example: 5 white balls and 1 red ball.

I'm counting the number of times each number ball is drawn, then dividing that number by the toal number of draws. For instance, the number 3 white ball shows up 6 times out of 30 drawings. My formula would look like; 6/30. The answer would be 20%.

What I'm wondering is, should the be calculation be: (6/30)/5 ?  The "/5" being the number of chances that the number 3 ball call show up in a single draw? If this calculation is correct, than the answer would be 4%.

Would someone clear this calculation up for me? Thanks for any insights...

The number 3 can only be drawn 30 time in 30 drawings even though it has 5 chances of being drawn in each drawing. If it was drawn first in 3 of the 6 times it was drawn, there would be no chance of it being drawn in the other 4 chances because there is only one number 3. In pick-3 and pick-4 games where there are multiple number 3s, it could be drawn more than 30 times in 30 drawings.

Since you already know 5 numbers are drawn, I really don't see the difference in expressing it as being drawn in 20% (6/30) of the drawings or as in 4% (6/150) of the chances.