Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MI and OH need new games

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Classic47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Think's avatar - lightbulb
Marquette, MI
United States
Member #20541
August 20, 2005
705 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2009, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Wow, 112 rolls on the Ohio Classic!  Nobody has won in 8 1/2 months!

The Michigan Classic has gone 3 months without anyone winning!

Am I the only one wondering if these games should be replaced?

The Raffles dont even take that long.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2009, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about Michigan's Classic Lotto47 but Ohio's Classic Lotto (6/49) is the state's attempt to recapture the glory days of its Super Lotto Game (6/49) but those players are now playing MegaMillions or the Rolling Cash5 games. Even before Ohio added MegaMillions, players had started going out of state to play either the PowerBall or the BigGame and now MegaMillions have them staying in state.

When you say those games should be replaced what you really want is a game that generate jackpots of $10 millions that is easier to win and there are no such games.  The pick5 games are easier to win but their jackpots are less than a million dollars and the MegaMillions game has a minimum jackpots of $12 millions but it's a lot harder to win. In the glory days of the Ohio Super Lotto game, it was the best game around and a lot of people played so its jackpots were high and often won.  In fact, a third of its winners were from out of state because players from all the surrounding states came to Ohio to played until those states improved their games. Now all the states have a similar offerings of games so players are staying in state.  It's unlikely either state could get more people to play their games than already are.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Marquette, MI
      United States
      Member #20541
      August 20, 2005
      705 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2009, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about Michigan's Classic Lotto47 but Ohio's Classic Lotto (6/49) is the state's attempt to recapture the glory days of its Super Lotto Game (6/49) but those players are now playing MegaMillions or the Rolling Cash5 games. Even before Ohio added MegaMillions, players had started going out of state to play either the PowerBall or the BigGame and now MegaMillions have them staying in state.

When you say those games should be replaced what you really want is a game that generate jackpots of $10 millions that is easier to win and there are no such games.  The pick5 games are easier to win but their jackpots are less than a million dollars and the MegaMillions game has a minimum jackpots of $12 millions but it's a lot harder to win. In the glory days of the Ohio Super Lotto game, it was the best game around and a lot of people played so its jackpots were high and often won.  In fact, a third of its winners were from out of state because players from all the surrounding states came to Ohio to played until those states improved their games. Now all the states have a similar offerings of games so players are staying in state.  It's unlikely either state could get more people to play their games than already are.

I have actually suggested several games but I won't rehash them here.  There are ways to improve the games.  Any game that continuously stagnates that long is a bad game and needs to be changed.

United States
        Member #73512
        April 16, 2009
        106 Posts
        Posted: May 12, 2009, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

A while back, there was a poll on the MSL webpage, advertising some new game.  It didn't look that interesting, but a new game never hurts. 

Don't know about Ohio, but Michigan has enough games with a variety of prize ranges.  I just think there needs to be a bonus option like hot lotto sizzler and instant match.  The only game that has something like that is club keno (kicker).

L J1's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #54181
          August 8, 2007
          123 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2009, 10:14 am - IP Logged

If Michigan Lottery DUMPS the RNG computerized drawings in favor of the old way of mechanical machines drawing numbers for their pick 5 & pick 6 games, I'd say you'll see more higher tier prize winners, of course that will not happen cause the state will lose out on $$ going into the state's General Fund. And WE can't have that....

Balance is Key

Marquette, MI
            United States
            Member #20541
            August 20, 2005
            705 Posts
            Posted: May 17, 2009, 11:32 am - IP Logged

A while back, there was a poll on the MSL webpage, advertising some new game.  It didn't look that interesting, but a new game never hurts. 

Don't know about Ohio, but Michigan has enough games with a variety of prize ranges.  I just think there needs to be a bonus option like hot lotto sizzler and instant match.  The only game that has something like that is club keno (kicker).

@classic

A clarification here...I meant  the Classic 47 game needs to be replaced with something new.

It could be a 5/44 1/10 game for $2 with $1 going to the 5/44 prizes structure.

A 5/44 match would be an actual jackpot prize split among the winners.  The other $1 would go only to a bigger jackpot prize (less the states take of course) with 5/44 + 1/10 taking the second jackpot.  That way even if the larger jackpot kept rolling, the smaller jackpot would roll less often and get won more often.  They could add a third dollar to multiply the non-jackpot prizes.

Another optional dollar could go to a second 5/44 jackpot like how florida does it and another optional dollar could go to a second 5/44 + 1/10 jackpot like the Florida option.

That way you would have the $2, 2 jackpot base ticket and people could play the 3 options however they wanted.

That is just one way of changing it.  I said I wouln't rehash them all here so I'll stop there.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: May 17, 2009, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Ohio has a unique situation now with its Classic Lotto game.  It's a pick6/49 game with a $23M jackpot which is one of the top 10 jackpots in the country with the best odds of a win.  If this doesn't encourage tickets sales, nothing will.  I doubt if anyone connected with the lottery is interesting in changing that.

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #73512
                April 16, 2009
                106 Posts
                Posted: May 17, 2009, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Eh, I think they should keep the pick 6 game.  Mega millions has horrible odds, and fantasy 5 doesn't offer enough (unless you hit the jackpot).  C47 offers a nice middle ground. 

I like the 5/44 1/10 idea, but don'I wouldn't want it replacing another game.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: May 18, 2009, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Eh, I think they should keep the pick 6 game.  Mega millions has horrible odds, and fantasy 5 doesn't offer enough (unless you hit the jackpot).  C47 offers a nice middle ground. 

I like the 5/44 1/10 idea, but don'I wouldn't want it replacing another game.

possible combos of 5 with 44 numbers and 1 of 10 bonus numbers
                   MATCH        ODDS                       
                    5/5+B   1 : 10860080               
                    5/5+0   1 : 1206676                 
                    4/5+B   1 : 55693                   
                    4/5+0   1 : 6188                   
                    3/5+B   1 : 1466                   
                    3/5+0   1 : 163                     

What would be the advantages of adding another game with similar odds?

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #73512
                    April 16, 2009
                    106 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2009, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

The game has worse odds than  classic 47 and mega millions, but if the payout changed, I would love to see a game like this.  I gave up on mega millions a while back.  The odds are simply terrible.  It's a big deal if you win 150 dollars.  The small prizes are there just to make it look like the game has better odds of winning when it's just the odds of winning a 2, 3 dollar prize.  At least classic 47's lowest prize is 5 dollars, than 100, and 2500, and the jackpot.  Huge differences in the prizes, and good odds of getting something actually worth chasing. 

Perhaps have the payout go like this.

3 balls: 20 bucks

4 balls: 250 bucks

5 balls: Jackpot (starts at 100 grand)

With bonus ball. 

3 balls: 100 bucks

4 balls: 5000 bucks

5 balls: Jackpot (that starts at 1 million).

I would love to see a game like that and would even give up classic 47 for it. 

The closest thing I have to that is keno (which I won 25 bucks on a couple days ago).