Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How lucky have you been with scratch offs?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rustysmom.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #74096
May 2, 2009
22861 Posts
Posted: May 14, 2009, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Rather than ask: What's the highest amount you've won on an instant ticket, I'd like to ask

how many times have you won $500 or more and what has the space between wins been?

Days, weeks, months, years?

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2009, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Rather than ask: What's the highest amount you've won on an instant ticket, I'd like to ask

how many times have you won $500 or more and what has the space between wins been?

The most I've ever won instantly on a scratch off is $25.00.  However, when the Powerball Instant Millionaire game show tickets were out there, I mailed several of them in and ended up winning $100.00 on the second chance drawing.  I was hoping to get a big prize or at least to go to Vegas for the show, but that didn't happen.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Pogo's avatar - wfl
      NC
      United States
      Member #29378
      January 1, 2006
      552 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2009, 10:36 am - IP Logged

I won $500 in SE VA about 4 - 4.5 years ago... I play every other weekend in SE VA usually spending at least $200 - all on scratchers and have hit nothing like that since... Of course I have hit a few $50, $100, $210, $300, & lowwer...

- Pogo

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22861 Posts
        Posted: May 17, 2009, 11:01 am - IP Logged

The most I've ever won instantly on a scratch off is $25.00.  However, when the Powerball Instant Millionaire game show tickets were out there, I mailed several of them in and ended up winning $100.00 on the second chance drawing.  I was hoping to get a big prize or at least to go to Vegas for the show, but that didn't happen.

It's exciting to scratch off more than you paid for the ticket. There are so many tickets printed for each

game it's staggering sometimes to imagine winning at all when you step up to the counter. There's always

hope of course, but the real chances of winning anything large $500,000 - $1,000,000 are pretty slim

considering just how many are out there. I think it amounts to being at the right place, right time.

I'd love to be the lucky person to scratch off an amount that reads:

1 MILL I just might have a heart attack, drop the ticket in the store and someone else would snatch it.

States invent new things to make money. Here in PA for awhile now, we've had the Millionaire Raffle.

It's actually the best chance of winning a big prize (a million) - the odds are 1 in 125,000. Much better

than the usual 1 in 9 million or so. The raffle tickets are $20.00 a piece. They sell 500,000 tickets and

make a mint considering they are paying 5 top prizes of 1 million plus a few of $100,000 and quite a

few at $1,000. They run that twice a year here. It's a quick pick game you get from the machine.

Good job on the second chance drawing, I haven't had any luck there. Sent a few in thinking it

would be nice to go meet Howie on Deal or No Deal but no luck there, lol.

Here's wishing you luck for the chance to see a winning ticket with a prize amount of 1 Million.

It really can happen to anyone and it is fun to try.

Thank you for your post.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
          Marquette, MI
          United States
          Member #20541
          August 20, 2005
          705 Posts
          Posted: May 17, 2009, 11:40 am - IP Logged

There are very few  people who win that.  In fact so few that there have been 3 news stories in the news section in the last 9 years about those people.

Myself, I greatly reduced  buying instants last year.  In decades of playing I hit claimed odds of 10,000 to 1 twice.  Once for $100 and the second time for $88 on $1 scratchers.

JJ928's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
            CNY
            United States
            Member #71224
            February 21, 2009
            59 Posts
            Posted: May 17, 2009, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Feb. of 2007 I won $500  on a $5 scratcher and then sometime in the end of July or begining of august 0f 2007 I hit on a $10 sratcher for $500. This was all in New York. Then a week later I hit on NY's 5/39 game for just over $500(I had 4/5).

So from July of 07 to Oct 07 I could'nt lose. I was spending about $100 a day on scratchers plus buying beer and cigarettes with the winnings and I always had $600 - $700 in my pocket every day.

And then somebody tuned off the fun valve, and the winnings have been pretty desolate since. I dont spend that much on scrachers any more.

My best hit in 2008 was on the mega millions. In December  I picked 5 sets of numbers , my first line I had 4/5 and on the 2nd line I had the the one I needed in the first line for 5/5.

Charlotte, NC
              United States
              Member #74177
              May 4, 2009
              16 Posts
              Posted: May 17, 2009, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

The Most I've ever won is $400 off the $2 Weekly Bonus ticket in SC. Until then, it was $250 on one of the Cash Bonazna $10 Tickets. Hoping for another $400 or $500 win soon!

MRDNICE's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                Burlington, NC
                United States
                Member #73620
                April 20, 2009
                282 Posts
                Posted: May 17, 2009, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

i won 50,000 off a scratch off and has hit 500 twice in the last 6 months. also has hit 100 at least 10 times the last year

United States
                  Member #74743
                  May 19, 2009
                  3 Posts
                  Posted: May 19, 2009, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I've won $500 twice on $5 tickets. I've bought a ton of tickets in NY of $10, $20 and even the $30 one now-- I've never topped $500. I won $250 quite often on $10 about a year ago -- but as someone else mentioned, things have changed.

NY is not paying out what it was, that's for sure. I don't believe those odds they post either. NO WAY.

jackson tn
                    United States
                    Member #74686
                    May 17, 2009
                    12 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2009, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I've won a couple of times on TN jumbo bucks but hardly nothing worth talking about, right now Tn scratch offs are not giving away anything........i know of several people that travel to different parts of TN to get scratch offs and to ask if anyone has hit big in those parts and the answer is always"small payouts,no big winners", the last time i won anything was back in 2008 in Dec and i play the scratch offs every weekNo Nod

United States
                      Member #73512
                      April 16, 2009
                      106 Posts
                      Posted: May 21, 2009, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

500?  I would go nuts just winning 100 dollars on one of those things! 

Most I ever won was 10 bucks, but it was after buying 2 5 dollar scratchers...

Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22861 Posts
                        Posted: May 22, 2009, 12:36 am - IP Logged

Feb. of 2007 I won $500  on a $5 scratcher and then sometime in the end of July or begining of august 0f 2007 I hit on a $10 sratcher for $500. This was all in New York. Then a week later I hit on NY's 5/39 game for just over $500(I had 4/5).

So from July of 07 to Oct 07 I could'nt lose. I was spending about $100 a day on scratchers plus buying beer and cigarettes with the winnings and I always had $600 - $700 in my pocket every day.

And then somebody tuned off the fun valve, and the winnings have been pretty desolate since. I dont spend that much on scrachers any more.

My best hit in 2008 was on the mega millions. In December  I picked 5 sets of numbers , my first line I had 4/5 and on the 2nd line I had the the one I needed in the first line for 5/5.

JJ928 -

Sounds like you had a blast there for awhile.

I sure hope someone turns your fun valve back on because it sure is fun to win.

Control is key. As long as you win, what's the harm in buying some more?

It's when the dry spell hits that things could go sour mighty fast.

PA introduced its first $25.00 ticket awhile back. A flashy ticket. The $25.00 price

tag was shocking. I thought, the nerve - those crooks. Sure, I bought a few. The most I won

on those was $500 and that was in the very beginning. They run winners closer

together when they introduce  new tickets. You know, get people excited about a

*paying* ticket. Pretty soon it all comes crashing down and the wins dry up and are

spread out pretty far. I wouldn't touch one of those again. Only one top prize remains

until they retire it. I hope it goes out soon. They're all over the state and at $25.00 a

pop, it only takes four to make $100.00 I'll bet the payouts are pitiful compared to what

they are making on that game alone.

Super congrats on your mega win.

Hope you get some more real soon.

Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #74096
                          May 2, 2009
                          22861 Posts
                          Posted: May 22, 2009, 1:00 am - IP Logged

catman, thanks for posting..

In PA they bring out new ones every month at a rate of about 4 per month. The ticket prices range

from $1.00 to $20.00

Just this week they brought out 4 more. A person can hardly keep up with what's new and what's

old and spent. So much confusion. They have a way of making each new ticket more attractive than

the last. They must have a special VISUAL department there at PA Lottery Headquarters that sits

and tests what color combos will sell more tickets. We had a Silver and Gold ticket come out around

Christmas. That ticket could sell itself on colors alone practically. There's not much winning around

my neck of the woods. There's a winners circle list every month that shows who won what - $1,000

and above. I doubt (although I've wondered sometimes) they can make up these names so people

must be winning these large tier prizes.

One day I hope to see my town listed there, with my name beside it of course. I don't want

the $1,000 I want the million. I won't hold my breath though.

Don't know how your state works but they must bring out new tickets, right? I notice that

in the first weeks of a ticket being issued, there is more chance to win $500.00 and up depending

on what denomination of ticket you purchase. To put it in perspective, if you buy a $1.00 ticket

you might win $10.00 or even $100.00 If you buy a $20.00 I believe there's more of a chance to

win something worth winning. Like $500 or $1,000. There are just more winners printed closer

together with new issue tickets IMO. After a couple weeks or so, they level off sharply.

Some big winners are still out there but the question is: WHERE? Haven't found any BIG ones yet.

Bring on that million.

Good luck to you.

Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #74096
                            May 2, 2009
                            22861 Posts
                            Posted: May 22, 2009, 7:07 am - IP Logged

I've won $500 twice on $5 tickets. I've bought a ton of tickets in NY of $10, $20 and even the $30 one now-- I've never topped $500. I won $250 quite often on $10 about a year ago -- but as someone else mentioned, things have changed.

NY is not paying out what it was, that's for sure. I don't believe those odds they post either. NO WAY.

On $5.00? Twice? Excellent!

You say a THIRTY dollar ticket. Wow, wait until PA gets wind of that news. Their highest is $25.00

They're missing out. I wonder how high it can go. Doubt very much they'll have the gall to run a

$40.00 ticket. That would be the last straw....actually, I wouldn't put it past them.

I read a post earlier about states not paying out. I guess that's a common problem. For months now

the winner's circle list on the lottery website here has been quite small. Used to be there were pages

of winners. Now, it's more like a page and a half. I thought maybe someone wasn't doing their job

too well or got lazy and didn't feel like adding all the names. Maybe it is an epidemic. Reduced

payouts. Hmmm. More tickets. Less payouts. Fatter lottery funds....makes sense doesn't it?

They make a killing on these tickets and always will. Sometimes I'm not to sure about those

odds either.

Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22861 Posts
                              Posted: May 22, 2009, 7:30 am - IP Logged

The Most I've ever won is $400 off the $2 Weekly Bonus ticket in SC. Until then, it was $250 on one of the Cash Bonazna $10 Tickets. Hoping for another $400 or $500 win soon!

Great win on a $2.00 ticket!  Usually with those it's either nothing or just what you paid for it.

That's a nice payout on 2 bucks.

Here's hoping one will come your way again soon.