Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Don't be taken in by The Texas Blockbuster scratchoffs.

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by JanTX.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
Katy, Tx
United States
Member #67709
December 3, 2008
204 Posts
Posted: May 20, 2009, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

The advertisement on the TV says there is one win in every three tickets sold....Not true....I bought 6 of them and didn't win anything!!!  I had to learn the hard way.  $120 Lost!!!

JoeyNo Nod

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: May 20, 2009, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

The advertisement on the TV says there is one win in every three tickets sold....Not true....I bought 6 of them and didn't win anything!!!  I had to learn the hard way.  $120 Lost!!!

JoeyNo Nod

They probably said that it averages out to one win out of every three tickets sold.

United States
      Member #54390
      August 17, 2007
      313 Posts
      Posted: May 20, 2009, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

1 out of 3 tickets can win but it's not in order.  You can have all the winners at the end of the roll and the losers in the beginning and middle.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: May 21, 2009, 5:08 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49618 Posts
          Posted: May 21, 2009, 9:59 am - IP Logged

JoeyNo Nod

Another Lesson Learned: You Can't Believe Everything You Hear!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
            Member #6363
            August 20, 2004
            4049 Posts
            Posted: May 21, 2009, 10:40 am - IP Logged

Joey something else to keep in mind is even if every third ticket was a winner (which they do mean an average) it will only be the replacement price of the ticket in the first place. Meaning out of the 6 you bought and the third ones being a winner, more than likely you would have walked away with $40 out of the $120 you spent. The whole purpose of the 1 out of every 3 is to sucker you in. Without the $20 dollar give backs your odds would probably be more like 1 in every 50 that had enough money on it to actually say you won something above what you paid to play.

But I truly hope if you continue to play the scratchers that you beat the odds. Sun Smiley

D_A

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
              Atlantic Mine, Michigan
              United States
              Member #416
              June 23, 2002
              1614 Posts
              Posted: May 21, 2009, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Joey something else to keep in mind is even if every third ticket was a winner (which they do mean an average) it will only be the replacement price of the ticket in the first place. Meaning out of the 6 you bought and the third ones being a winner, more than likely you would have walked away with $40 out of the $120 you spent. The whole purpose of the 1 out of every 3 is to sucker you in. Without the $20 dollar give backs your odds would probably be more like 1 in every 50 that had enough money on it to actually say you won something above what you paid to play.

But I truly hope if you continue to play the scratchers that you beat the odds. Sun Smiley

D_A

That is not acutally true.  If you do look at the full odds of any scratch off, especially a $20 you will see that the odds winning the minimum prize is more then the overall odds.  They are usually 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 to win $20.  The 1 in 3 odds includes every prize, like $25, $30, $50 and so forth.  He just hit a unlucky streak of tickets.  It happens all the time.  I once bought 8 $5 tickets and didn't win anything.  Went back to the store and bought 3 more and 2 of the 3 were winners.

Brad

qwerty928's avatar - moon

United States
                Member #65434
                September 26, 2008
                430 Posts
                Posted: May 21, 2009, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Its a bit misleading but it it correct out of approx. 36 million tickets, 12 million are winners which is 1 out of 3 overall but not every roll

you just don't know where the winners are

I have had 12 losers in a row but then again I have had 3 winners in a row

United States
                  Member #6363
                  August 20, 2004
                  4049 Posts
                  Posted: May 21, 2009, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

That is not acutally true.  If you do look at the full odds of any scratch off, especially a $20 you will see that the odds winning the minimum prize is more then the overall odds.  They are usually 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 to win $20.  The 1 in 3 odds includes every prize, like $25, $30, $50 and so forth.  He just hit a unlucky streak of tickets.  It happens all the time.  I once bought 8 $5 tickets and didn't win anything.  Went back to the store and bought 3 more and 2 of the 3 were winners.

Brad

I am sorry Bradly, but I have to disagree. Anyone who has sold tickets (and I am sure it is similar in all states) will be able to tell you that a book of tickets will only average 1 big winners in it, and I am talking about $50 to $500 range. The rest of the so-called winners are tickets you get to scratch off for free. Occasionally, it will have more of course, but they are not the norm. And trust me the lottery gets very creative with their odds, I don't know if they use fuzzy math, but I know the outcome of the odds leaves you feeling that way.

P.S. I do not normally play scratchers, but I bought one today after seeing your reply to see if the odds were on the back they were not (got it out of a machine). Any way, I just scratched it off and it was a $200 winners. lol

So thank you! I would have never purchased it otherwise. White Bounce

Many Winners to You.

D_A

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                    Member #4121
                    March 23, 2004
                    817 Posts
                    Posted: May 21, 2009, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

JoeyNo Nod

Most likely someone won on a ticket before you bought or a big winner is coming.  Good Luck!

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      22846 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2009, 8:12 am - IP Logged

I am sorry Bradly, but I have to disagree. Anyone who has sold tickets (and I am sure it is similar in all states) will be able to tell you that a book of tickets will only average 1 big winners in it, and I am talking about $50 to $500 range. The rest of the so-called winners are tickets you get to scratch off for free. Occasionally, it will have more of course, but they are not the norm. And trust me the lottery gets very creative with their odds, I don't know if they use fuzzy math, but I know the outcome of the odds leaves you feeling that way.

P.S. I do not normally play scratchers, but I bought one today after seeing your reply to see if the odds were on the back they were not (got it out of a machine). Any way, I just scratched it off and it was a $200 winners. lol

So thank you! I would have never purchased it otherwise. White Bounce

lol Dead Aim - Alright! $200 BananaWTG

United States
                        Member #6363
                        August 20, 2004
                        4049 Posts
                        Posted: May 22, 2009, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Everyone, you will have to forgive all my writing errors and word substitutions.

I have sleep issues and go sleepless for days.

When I get like that, I can proofread all I want, but I will never see any of my errors until I read it again the next day. (after a little nap)

Thank you dr65! All I could think of (after getting over the irony of the situation) was, "Well, the rest of that roll is useless." lol

It was ticket number 65 in the roll for those that keep up with those kind of things. 

What is the proper expression, it is a book of tickets or a roll of tickets?

Many Winners to You.

D_A

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                          Jacksonville Florida
                          United States
                          Member #23018
                          October 6, 2005
                          914 Posts
                          Posted: May 22, 2009, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

An example of how the distribution works in some of the scratch off ticket games:
                          (the example below uses ficticious amounts easier to understand - there will usually be thousands of books and the prize levels, values, and numbers will differ)

Example: 1000 Total Books in a Game

Prize Level#1 ($1,000,000) - 2 prizes total:
                          1 prize in books 1-500
                          1 prize in books 501-1000

Prize Level#2 ($10,000) - 5 prizes total:
                          1 prize in books 1-200
                          1 prize in books 201-400
                          1 prize in books 401-600
                          1 prize in books 601-800
                          1 prize in books 801-1000

Prize Level#3 ($500) - 10 prizes total:
                          1 prize in books 1-100
                          1 prize in books 101-200
                          1 prize in books 201-300
                          1 prize in books 301-400
                          1 prize in books 401-500
                          1 prize in books 502-600
                          1 prize in books 601-700
                          1 prize in books 701-800
                          1 prize in books 801-900
                          1 prize in books 901-1000

The lower level prizes are more numerous and you will find multiples in each book to meet the odds criteria set up by the lottery. Exactly what values, numbers, and amounts make up the lower level prizes depend on the game and the odds breakdown.

So, it is possible to get  more than one big prize in a single book (say a Prize Level#1 and a Prize Level#2) although it is statistically highly unlikely. You won't find 2 of the same Prize Level#1 in the same book because they are intentionally split between two groups of ticket books. This will also prevent the scenerio where the lottery comes out with a new game and sells out of all of the big prizes too quick. The big prizes are spaced out.

There is a method to the madness...

:)

United States
                            Member #6363
                            August 20, 2004
                            4049 Posts
                            Posted: May 22, 2009, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

An example of how the distribution works in some of the scratch off ticket games:
                            (the example below uses ficticious amounts easier to understand - there will usually be thousands of books and the prize levels, values, and numbers will differ)

Example: 1000 Total Books in a Game

Prize Level#1 ($1,000,000) - 2 prizes total:
                            1 prize in books 1-500
                            1 prize in books 501-1000

Prize Level#2 ($10,000) - 5 prizes total:
                            1 prize in books 1-200
                            1 prize in books 201-400
                            1 prize in books 401-600
                            1 prize in books 601-800
                            1 prize in books 801-1000

Prize Level#3 ($500) - 10 prizes total:
                            1 prize in books 1-100
                            1 prize in books 101-200
                            1 prize in books 201-300
                            1 prize in books 301-400
                            1 prize in books 401-500
                            1 prize in books 502-600
                            1 prize in books 601-700
                            1 prize in books 701-800
                            1 prize in books 801-900
                            1 prize in books 901-1000

The lower level prizes are more numerous and you will find multiples in each book to meet the odds criteria set up by the lottery. Exactly what values, numbers, and amounts make up the lower level prizes depend on the game and the odds breakdown.

So, it is possible to get  more than one big prize in a single book (say a Prize Level#1 and a Prize Level#2) although it is statistically highly unlikely. You won't find 2 of the same Prize Level#1 in the same book because they are intentionally split between two groups of ticket books. This will also prevent the scenerio where the lottery comes out with a new game and sells out of all of the big prizes too quick. The big prizes are spaced out.

There is a method to the madness...

:)

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation duckman. Thumbs Up

Many Winners to You.

D_A

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                              Member #4121
                              March 23, 2004
                              817 Posts
                              Posted: May 22, 2009, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Cool..... Thanks!