Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if a visiting tourist wins Powerball/Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 1 reply. Last post 8 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Super-man's avatar - avatarsupes
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Member #69243
January 6, 2009
15 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2009, 1:30 am - IP Logged

Greetings LP fans!

I was asked by an acquaintance who's visiting my folks from abroad (Philippines), whom I've encouraged to buy some lottery tickets just for the heck of it. He asked me optimistically what if he wins the upcoming Powerball jackpot ($192 million annuity; $74,850,000 cash (Pennsylvania) as of this writing); but since he's just a visiting tourist and not a US resident, would the lottery officials ask him to open a US bank account (if tourists are allowed) to transfer the money or would they just wire it to his bank account back into his country? He also added that he's only got 1 bank account back home, which is a savings account.

With that huge amount of money (if he ever wins), won't there be any amount limitations by which a savings account can hold? Will his local bank allow such huge amount in his savings account?

If everything falls in his favor, he'll definitely never forget this US vacation of his...

Thanks for your time guys! Wink

"Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire" - Oskar Schindler

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8362 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2009, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

If a person from another country wins powerball or any other game they can collect the prize just the same as anyone else.

You can put as much money in the bank as you want to but it's only insured for a given amount these things are best taken care of by a financial planner, banker, attorney and accountant.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.