Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Either she was very stupid or tried to commit fraud.

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Classic47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54390
August 17, 2007
313 Posts
Posted: May 25, 2009, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Making the story short:  Know the prize amount before handing a clerk your tickets!!!!!!!

Long story:  First of all, let me get some common sense out of the way:

-If it says you win $10 on a scratch ticket, that means you win $10.  10 dollar prize does not mean I get 0 dollars back.

-If the prize receipt says $10, that means the clerk owes you $10.

I go to Indiana once every 1 or 2 months to meet-up with a friend for the last 3 years and I pick up Hoosier Lottery tickets on the way.  EVERY TIME the clerk screws up or he/she is confused on how to work the lottery machine.  I don't think I recall a smooth transaction, ever. 

Anyway, I gave the clerk a $4 winner Powerball ticket and a $10 winner scratch ticket.  After she processed the tickets, I asked her how much I won, she said "$4".  I told her that I won $10 on the scratch ticket and she disagreed and told me that the lottery machine says "$4" prize.  I then requested to see the prize receipt and it said in plain English "Won $10 Cash" on the scratch ticket.  I told her that the receipts says $14 total and she said the computer says $4.  I then repeated many times that the reciept says $14 total and that she did something wrong with the computer.  She then got mad and told me that the scratch tickets are something different, I asked "how are they different"?  She said "They're transacted differently".  I was so confused on what she was trying to say but it was irrelevant.  This went on for 10 minutes of argueing back and forth and I was embarrassed that there was a long line in back of me.  So finally I asked what her full name was so I can talk to the lottery rep, she said "you can't do that because the computer said you won only $4".  So I said "Ok, I want to talk to your manager about possible fraud".  She replied, "I'm going to say it again, the computer says "$4"".  Then I stared at her for 15 seconds and I could tell she was getting uncomfortable. She then said "Fine, here's your $14, BYE.".   

I'm actually going to ask for an investigation because she could be screwing with other customers.  I wonder if Indiana performs a undercover sting on lottery.

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    williamsburg,ohio
    United States
    Member #71029
    February 17, 2009
    603 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2009, 12:40 am - IP Logged

I agree SmoothJuice you should know what you have won no matter where you go.Now I did once made a mistake on my winnings but the girl where I get my tickets cought it (Thank God)because I won a little more than I first thought.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2009, 3:08 am - IP Logged

Some clerks just aren't smart.  Yesterday I played Ohio Classic Lottery which is the only Ohio game with ten boards on one play slips.  When I handed the clerk the play slip to run she asked "you want this ran twice" and I replied "no" and asked why.  She said it would have to be ran twice to get 10 plays.  I informed her that all ten plays would be on one ticket.  When the terminal kicked out a ticket with ten lines, she said she didn't play lottery games so she didn't know they printed out that way.  I never did figure out why she asked such a dump question.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
        Dallas, TX
        United States
        Member #60284
        April 12, 2008
        3856 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2009, 3:33 am - IP Logged

I wonder why the lottery headquarters haven't thought of the idea for their lottery machines with duel purposes. Buying ticket from, AND paying out winning tickets. The convinience machines for self service are only programed to purchase tickets from, and to check the tickets. It has yet spit out money for winning tickets. If such machine exist it will eliminate a great amount of con artists.

Espanola NM
          United States
          Member #72722
          March 25, 2009
          133 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2009, 4:09 am - IP Logged

I wonder why the lottery headquarters haven't thought of the idea for their lottery machines with duel purposes. Buying ticket from, AND paying out winning tickets. The convinience machines for self service are only programed to purchase tickets from, and to check the tickets. It has yet spit out money for winning tickets. If such machine exist it will eliminate a great amount of con artists.

That is a good idea!  Self-service machines would be ideal!  The only problem with those machines is lottery policy to ban those who are younger than 18yr old from playing.   I assume a major reason why lotteries force claims to a real person is to confirm the winner is of legal age.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5974 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2009, 7:34 am - IP Logged

Making the story short:  Know the prize amount before handing a clerk your tickets!!!!!!!

Long story:  First of all, let me get some common sense out of the way:

-If it says you win $10 on a scratch ticket, that means you win $10.  10 dollar prize does not mean I get 0 dollars back.

-If the prize receipt says $10, that means the clerk owes you $10.

I go to Indiana once every 1 or 2 months to meet-up with a friend for the last 3 years and I pick up Hoosier Lottery tickets on the way.  EVERY TIME the clerk screws up or he/she is confused on how to work the lottery machine.  I don't think I recall a smooth transaction, ever. 

Anyway, I gave the clerk a $4 winner Powerball ticket and a $10 winner scratch ticket.  After she processed the tickets, I asked her how much I won, she said "$4".  I told her that I won $10 on the scratch ticket and she disagreed and told me that the lottery machine says "$4" prize.  I then requested to see the prize receipt and it said in plain English "Won $10 Cash" on the scratch ticket.  I told her that the receipts says $14 total and she said the computer says $4.  I then repeated many times that the reciept says $14 total and that she did something wrong with the computer.  She then got mad and told me that the scratch tickets are something different, I asked "how are they different"?  She said "They're transacted differently".  I was so confused on what she was trying to say but it was irrelevant.  This went on for 10 minutes of argueing back and forth and I was embarrassed that there was a long line in back of me.  So finally I asked what her full name was so I can talk to the lottery rep, she said "you can't do that because the computer said you won only $4".  So I said "Ok, I want to talk to your manager about possible fraud".  She replied, "I'm going to say it again, the computer says "$4"".  Then I stared at her for 15 seconds and I could tell she was getting uncomfortable. She then said "Fine, here's your $14, BYE.".   

I'm actually going to ask for an investigation because she could be screwing with other customers.  I wonder if Indiana performs a undercover sting on lottery.

So I said "Ok, I want to talk to your manager about possible fraud".  She replied, "I'm going to say it again, the computer says "$4"".  Then I stared at her for 15 seconds and I could tell she was getting uncomfortable. She then said "Fine, here's your $14, BYE.".   

You should have talked with the manager and explained to him, the problems with fraud in other states.

Please follow thru with this. Very important.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5762 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2009, 8:36 am - IP Logged

I know you only visit every couple of months, but I would find another place to buy tics. I always buy my tics at the same place and as a result the owners of the store and I have developed trust between us. Also, I go up to OK once in a while to buy PB tics, and I used to go to a grocery store in Marietta. It seemed like the machine in that store wasn't working right every time I went there, so I finally found a little hole in the wall place closer to home to buy my tics.

I hope you can follow up on what happened to you to clean that up. Good luck.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                MICHIGAN
                United States
                Member #65282
                September 22, 2008
                2007 Posts
                Posted: May 26, 2009, 8:43 am - IP Logged

I know this is goin on in alot states, I agree, u need to find a place where

the clerk  isn't bent on taking half of your winnings.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
                  hotatlanta
                  United States
                  Member #70664
                  February 8, 2009
                  1446 Posts
                  Posted: May 26, 2009, 9:26 am - IP Logged

I would still report that store, so that they could look into it. Report to the lottery...

United States
                    Member #54390
                    August 17, 2007
                    313 Posts
                    Posted: May 26, 2009, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

I know you only visit every couple of months, but I would find another place to buy tics. I always buy my tics at the same place and as a result the owners of the store and I have developed trust between us. Also, I go up to OK once in a while to buy PB tics, and I used to go to a grocery store in Marietta. It seemed like the machine in that store wasn't working right every time I went there, so I finally found a little hole in the wall place closer to home to buy my tics.

I hope you can follow up on what happened to you to clean that up. Good luck.

Actually, I go to 5 different gas stations and everytime it seems like there's a new worker.  In Michigan, the machines are extremely easy to use and most newbies don't have trouble figuring out how to use it.  In indiana, It seems like every clerk doesn't know what they're doing.  LIke I said, I don't think there has ever been a smooth transaction.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                      Dallas, TX
                      United States
                      Member #60284
                      April 12, 2008
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: May 26, 2009, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

That is a good idea!  Self-service machines would be ideal!  The only problem with those machines is lottery policy to ban those who are younger than 18yr old from playing.   I assume a major reason why lotteries force claims to a real person is to confirm the winner is of legal age.

They can just use ID swipe to confirm. Like they do at clubs for 21 older. Using driver license ID or authentic ID will be swipable. Look behind your ID card, it looks like a credit card. :) Problem solved. ;)

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                        Portland,Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #14387
                        April 25, 2005
                        229 Posts
                        Posted: May 26, 2009, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Oregon has self service lottery machines and they seem to work pretty good. Most stores set them up right by the check out stands and all the checkers keep an eye on who's buying tickets. I've seen clerks go question kids who look too young to play ... and saw one clerk check ID on a kid :)  Of course if an underaged kid bought a ticket and one he or she would have to have an adult collect it for them since the lottery office requires a photo id and SSN before paying out big winnings.  The machines sell tickets for every game the state has plus it sells scratchoffs too. The one draw back is you have to have exactly the amount of money you want to play as the machines do not give change. It will check tickets for you ... and if you have a winner you take it to the designated payout area - usually the customer service counter at large stores or a specifically designated area - at my favorite store it's the bakery.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10391 Posts
                          Posted: May 27, 2009, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Not to defend the clerk in the OP, but it could have been an honest mistake.

These people are store clerks, not lottery clerks, lottery is just a sideline. It certainly helps if you get one that is also a player and knows what you're talking about (usually...sometimes they might be more apt to try and scam you, but that's the exception).

We usually play at the service counter of a grocery and they do far more than lotto.

We have people here at LP that are clerks where lotto is sold, maybe they could give more insight on this.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                            Member #54390
                            August 17, 2007
                            313 Posts
                            Posted: May 27, 2009, 1:54 am - IP Logged

I've been playing for 5 years and I have never came across this kind of situation.  She made no sense when she explained that I won $0 on a $10 winner and it was a "Different transaction".   I don't understand people, when I worked at a store, it took me 5 minutes to learn the machine and they purposely made it easy to use.  That was back when I never played the lotto.  It's just simple press and go.... Kind of like the the United States Air Force. hehe Just kidding.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                              Clarksville
                              United States
                              Member #487
                              July 15, 2002
                              17638 Posts
                              Posted: May 27, 2009, 2:09 am - IP Logged

If she scanned that ticket at the lottery terminal, she knew it was worth 10.00 because the MACHINE told her it was worth 10.00.  Those terminals scan scratch offs also.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.