Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Post quoted in Powerball "what if" article

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23348 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2009, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I thought I'd pass along a link to a newspaper blog post, not only because of the interesting subject matter, but also because the author referenced some comments by yours truly.

http://blogs.trb.com/entertainment/news/gambling/blog/2009/05/powerball_how_the_odds_are_in.html

When the jackpot gets large, these kinds of topics come up, and always make for interesting debate.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Janet40's avatar - yocco
    Nassau
    Bahamas
    Member #29884
    January 8, 2006
    1099 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2009, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

I thought I'd pass along a link to a newspaper blog post, not only because of the interesting subject matter, but also because the author referenced some comments by yours truly.

http://blogs.trb.com/entertainment/news/gambling/blog/2009/05/powerball_how_the_odds_are_in.html

When the jackpot gets large, these kinds of topics come up, and always make for interesting debate.

So it’s maybe an interesting exercise to think about, but really not possible in reality," says Todd Northrop, owner of Lottery Post, an online community of lottery enthusiasts, in response to my idea. A group in Virginia tried it a few years ago in their in-state game, but ran out of time. And that required only 10 million numbers to buy, he said. Still, they covered 80 percent of the numbers, and hit the big one, he said.

WTG, TODD IT WOULD BE SO SWEET IF ONE OF YOUR MEMBERS WINSun Smiley

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3348 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2009, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Awesome!!!!!!!  Banana Big Grin  Banana

Good luck to everyone!

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
        Member #60535
        April 21, 2008
        460 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2009, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Don't care what that guy says i'm still buying my usual $20 in tix!!!

Awesome article, Todd, thanks for sharing!

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23348 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2009, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

So it’s maybe an interesting exercise to think about, but really not possible in reality," says Todd Northrop, owner of Lottery Post, an online community of lottery enthusiasts, in response to my idea. A group in Virginia tried it a few years ago in their in-state game, but ran out of time. And that required only 10 million numbers to buy, he said. Still, they covered 80 percent of the numbers, and hit the big one, he said.

WTG, TODD IT WOULD BE SO SWEET IF ONE OF YOUR MEMBERS WINSun Smiley

I agree!  We've had members who won big prizes, including the second prize in Powerball, but still waiting for the big prize.  I think the best thing will be seeing the winner wearing a LP hat and/or t-shirt at the press conference.  You can bet that's what I'll do. Cool

Espanola NM
            United States
            Member #72722
            March 25, 2009
            133 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2009, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Good points in that article.

While the wealthy could very well try the strategy of buying every single combination they can have several obstacles:

*Sharing with another jackpot winner who picked the same numbers.  How painful would it be to share a jackpot with some random person who simply only spent $1 while you spent $195 million for that winning ticket.

*The time constraints of actually buying 195 million tickets.   Given there are only 86,400 seconds in a 24-hr day.  It would be quite a task of getting 195 million tickets printed.  You would need a team...a large team....who are willing to stay at various stores for 24-hrs straight buying tickets. 

*The aftermath.   Paperwork with the IRS and actually looking at all 195 million tickets to find the one with the right combination to claim.   Forget aout the logistics of where one could store 195 million tickets.  That's alot of paper!  If someone else in Powerball world actually won too......then you are also dealing with a net loss.   A 222 million jackpt that is split means only 111 million to each ticket holder.   Since one person spent 195 million.....that is a 84 million loss.

*Also jackpots are based on annunities.   So it is based over a 30-yr span to see the bottomline rewards perhaps.  Too much work and too much effort and too much money spent on a game of chance.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
              North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2009, 3:21 am - IP Logged

"Keeping this train going further: You can eventually deduct all your losing tickets (the $194,999,999), meaning you'd be taxed on only the $27 million profit you'd make. But it would probably means some time with the IRS, a lot of time."

Not all of the 194,999,999 will be losers. In fact I've done the math. This doesn't include tax or powerplay variables. This also doesn't take in account the VERY large increase in the final jackpot because of the large number of tickets sold for this drawing. (Example: Last Jackpot was actually $6 million higher than advertised with $48 million tickets sold. If you take the same amount sold in the last drawing (underestimated since it rolled to $222 million and with that comes even higher sales) there would be a grand total of ~ 243,000,000 tickets sold) These raw numbers also assume the player takes the annuity payments rather than cash option.

Grand total won... $255,174,421 (If no other tickets match)
              However, the prizes under $600 are not taxed so $23,797,821 would be tax free. Again, this is underestimated because of ticket sales but you get the basic idea. Just some food for thought I suppose. (It also proves I have NO life and I'm in serious need of a girl friend)

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                NC
                United States
                Member #29378
                January 1, 2006
                552 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2009, 4:33 am - IP Logged

Excellent article Todd - Thank You for sharing, however, the commentsmade after the blog were quite negative... I sometimes wonder how thesefolk walk around all day - apparently they need to spend a little timeat the LotteryPost to become a lil more upbeat. Anywho, thanks & let us know of any increased web traffic... Pogo

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
                  Member #63356
                  July 26, 2008
                  1427 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2009, 7:08 am - IP Logged

HiYa Todd,

When I win the Big One on the Powerball - Will you send me a Tshirt and Hat?  Promise to wear it to pick up my check.  :-).

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23348 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2009, 7:57 am - IP Logged

HiYa Todd,

When I win the Big One on the Powerball - Will you send me a Tshirt and Hat?  Promise to wear it to pick up my check.  :-).

Yes, most definitely!  Of course, you can pick one up right now if you wish!

Lucky's avatar - hiro horse.jpg
                      Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #20
                      December 20, 2000
                      57063 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2009, 8:08 am - IP Logged

Nice article Todd - It's nice to be recognized for your hard work !!!!!

Good Luck Lep

lotto lynn's avatar - Yavill
                        New York
                        United States
                        Member #65188
                        September 20, 2008
                        187 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2009, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Hello Todd

This is a very good article. And oh yes todd I will want my lottery post items. I feel a win coming on.And I hope to win

lotto lynnSun Smiley

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19894 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2009, 8:50 am - IP Logged

I agree!  We've had members who won big prizes, including the second prize in Powerball, but still waiting for the big prize.  I think the best thing will be seeing the winner wearing a LP hat and/or t-shirt at the press conference.  You can bet that's what I'll do. Cool

I already have my LP cap and golf-shirt, now all I need is a winning ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Manitoba
                            Canada
                            Member #75179
                            May 28, 2009
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2009, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Here in Canada you would receive all of the $254 million dollars tax free but we don't have enough people to ever have a lottery that size.  Regardless, Partylotteries here are tax free-nice eh!

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23348 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2009, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I already have my LP cap and golf-shirt, now all I need is a winning ticket.

I hear you -- my LP hat and shirts are getting pretty worn while I'm searching for my big winner! Big Grin