Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anyone know why don't we get a receipt for purchasing a lottery ticket(s)?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Eden Prairie, MN
United States
Member #49875
February 18, 2007
63 Posts
Posted: May 27, 2009, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

1..Does anyone know why don't we get a receipt for purchasing a lottery ticket(s)?

2..Would you want that to happen?

I know that I would just because it could be added security feature against lottery fraud.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4521 Posts
    Posted: May 27, 2009, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Truly an interesting question! Never gave much thought to it til you brought this to the forums attention.

Would think that having a receipt would also help deter some of the phone in gamers who call the shops and place bets before paying.

Yes I would like to see it happen.  Hope someone chimes in for why a purchase doesnt need a receipt especially since its the states that collect the monies. Surely they'd want to have a better account of how funds are coming in.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: May 27, 2009, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

We can receive them in Maryland. Some Merchants throw them away, unless you ask for it.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8359 Posts
        Posted: May 27, 2009, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

your ticket is the receipt. it has a bar code and store number and security transaction number on it.

If your talking about a sales receipt when i was in DC i got one once when i spent 18 dollars the clerk gave me a printed receipt from the register he used, however outside of the date and time there was no other information on it about any tickets that i had bought no identifying numbers or codes.

Oh! the pole button is in the upper right hand corner of the first post in any thread.

The only time in Maryland i received a receipt is when i cashed a winning ticket.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
          Member #63356
          July 26, 2008
          1427 Posts
          Posted: May 27, 2009, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

No matter what, state any sales must be registered.  Its the law.  I know we don't get receipts in most cases.  They take your money and hand you tickets?  They work from a separate money draw for the lottery, as to not mix it up with what they sell in merchandise and the ticket sales, which they do not pay tax on.  Some merchants are lazy and just keep two draws, one for sales, one for lottery.  Sometimes its a real cash register, sometimes just a cigar box. 

If you would like one - ask politely, if they don't give it to you, demand it polietly, still won't give it to you, tell them you are going to report them to the IRS!  ROFL!!!  They will give you one.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4521 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2009, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

No matter what, state any sales must be registered.  Its the law.  I know we don't get receipts in most cases.  They take your money and hand you tickets?  They work from a separate money draw for the lottery, as to not mix it up with what they sell in merchandise and the ticket sales, which they do not pay tax on.  Some merchants are lazy and just keep two draws, one for sales, one for lottery.  Sometimes its a real cash register, sometimes just a cigar box. 

If you would like one - ask politely, if they don't give it to you, demand it polietly, still won't give it to you, tell them you are going to report them to the IRS!  ROFL!!!  They will give you one.

Can you point me in the direction of the law for register sales receipts? Hot dog vendors- no receipts, Sidewalk vendors, no receipts, Lottery terminals- no receipts. Computer/TEchnology events, no receipts. Asked even and received a nice smile of You are joking lady!

Even contacted my state Revenue department on one local business because they dont even ring up the order but miraculously take your money and give you your take out food. State just said, so long as they have a license to operate and collect tax its not their place to mandate how they keep track of cash flow.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Eden Prairie, MN
              United States
              Member #49875
              February 18, 2007
              63 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2009, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Where is the security transaction number on the POWERBALL ticket?  The store number is noticeable,since it is on every ticket that I brought from the same store!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8359 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2009, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Where is the security transaction number on the POWERBALL ticket?  The store number is noticeable,since it is on every ticket that I brought from the same store!

Should be right under the terminal number or right under the date.

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                  williamsburg,ohio
                  United States
                  Member #71029
                  February 17, 2009
                  603 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2009, 1:36 am - IP Logged

To me the ticket is the receipt as good as anything and where I play they just put the money from the sale of the tickets in the same door

as if you had bought a pop or gas and pay out of it as well if they have it in it.But they do not take credit cards for the lottery.

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

Eden Prairie, MN
                    United States
                    Member #49875
                    February 18, 2007
                    63 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2009, 9:58 am - IP Logged

1.What is the terminal number look like as in is there a pattern in the row of numbers that can tell me that is the terminal number?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8359 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2009, 11:40 am - IP Logged

1.What is the terminal number look like as in is there a pattern in the row of numbers that can tell me that is the terminal number?

the store number is the terminal number.

AriesDaRam's avatar - nw gingfighter.jpg
                        Stone Mtn
                        United States
                        Member #64518
                        August 30, 2008
                        1157 Posts
                        Posted: May 28, 2009, 11:47 am - IP Logged

In the state of Georgia, you can receive a receipt from the terminal and register. The terminal receipt will list all of the little numbers on each of your tickets, along with the total price paid. The register receipt just says lotto(or lottery) on it and total paid.  If you don't ask for it, they won't give to you, because most people will just throw them away. They believe in saving the trees!LOL

Then again, some clerks give them to you to keep the peace because the receipt won't print until all the numbers on each slip print out first.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2009, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

When I buy my tickets at Krogers  they give me a recipt and I toss it in the trashcan next to the counter..Problem solved..