Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

8 Number full wheel or random numbers?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 8 years ago by TryAgain.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

South Africa
Member #75624
June 8, 2009
3 Posts
Posted: June 8, 2009, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to post this. Please excuse me if I dont use all the correct terminology, im new to this. I have a budget where I can afford to buy about 40 lines on our national pick 6 lottery each week. (We have a 6 numbers plus bonus ball lottery. Balls available are 1 to 49). So far i've just been getting a random 40 combinations each week at the ticket office which they generate.

If im correct, an 8 number full wheel would make 28 lines/combinations. Would it be more worth my while to do that instead considering my budget each week? Im sure using a bigger wheel of say 10 numbers is great, but that would be way too expensive. So is just 8 numbers really worth it? (I know this is probably just down to personal opinion)

Thanks for any advice.

cheers.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: June 8, 2009, 3:43 am - IP Logged

Hi, welcome! If you like, it's ok to increase from 8 to 9, or 10 and then use filtering techniques to eliminate the combos down from the total combos. Also something to consider, 3:1 ratio on self-picks over random picks to keep a good mix of combos in your play. I personally don't use quickpicks, but for those that like to with their own picks, that's a good ratio, along with 1:1 ratio.

When you look at the history of winners, there are slightly more random picks (quickpicks) winners over self-picks.

Good luck on the plays.

Jack-C's avatar - us
      San Diego, CA
      United States
      Member #61467
      May 24, 2008
      28146 Posts
      Posted: June 8, 2009, 6:23 am - IP Logged

Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to post this. Please excuse me if I dont use all the correct terminology, im new to this. I have a budget where I can afford to buy about 40 lines on our national pick 6 lottery each week. (We have a 6 numbers plus bonus ball lottery. Balls available are 1 to 49). So far i've just been getting a random 40 combinations each week at the ticket office which they generate.

If im correct, an 8 number full wheel would make 28 lines/combinations. Would it be more worth my while to do that instead considering my budget each week? Im sure using a bigger wheel of say 10 numbers is great, but that would be way too expensive. So is just 8 numbers really worth it? (I know this is probably just down to personal opinion)

Thanks for any advice.

cheers.

Wheels are only as good as the numbers put into them!  So always try it on paper until you are comfortable playing real money.  I like what I call "balanced wheels" like 3if3 4if4 etc.  Here is a Pick 6 wheel using 9 numbers with a guarantee of 5if5.  Which means that if 5 of the numbers that are drawn are in your picks of the 9, you will have at least one ticket with 5 correct.  That, of course, is NOT easy!

Plug your numbers into the 1-9 listed in the wheel.  Good luck.  BTW, there are 32 lines.

1 2 3 4 5 8
      1 2 3 4 5 9
      1 2 3 4 6 7
      1 2 3 5 6 7
      1 2 3 5 7 8
      1 2 3 5 7 9
      1 2 3 6 8 9
      1 2 4 5 6 8
      1 2 4 5 6 9
      1 2 4 5 7 9
      1 2 4 7 8 9
      1 2 5 7 8 9
      1 2 6 7 8 9
      1 3 4 5 6 7
      1 3 4 6 7 8
      1 3 4 6 7 9
      1 3 4 7 8 9
      1 3 5 6 8 9
      1 4 5 7 8 9
      1 4 6 7 8 9
      1 5 6 7 8 9
      2 3 4 5 6 9
      2 3 4 5 7 8
      2 3 4 5 7 9
      2 3 4 6 8 9
      2 3 5 6 8 9
      2 3 6 7 8 9
      2 4 5 6 7 8
      2 4 5 6 7 9
      2 4 5 7 8 9
      3 4 5 6 8 9
      3 5 6 7 8 9

South Africa
        Member #75624
        June 8, 2009
        3 Posts
        Posted: June 8, 2009, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies. Ill think about your suggestions and see what I can do.

Any other advice would be welcome.

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: June 9, 2009, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I would suggest playing any way that you find fun.

Some chose to take their own faith in their hands by chosing a system.

If you do not want to hurt your chances play random numbers.

You have a decent budget but it will not improve your chances any more than luck will grant to you.

Wheeling a few numbers doesnt necessarily improve your odds. It improves your odds of winning if your numbers hit.

You do have the luxury of running several tests to see how quickly you are gonna lose your money.

Try your luck. Good luck to you.

United States
            Member #119
            February 19, 2002
            527 Posts
            Posted: June 12, 2009, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Hi there,

Thanks for any advice.

cheers.

Rather than play an 8-number wheel, I would wheel 18-25 numbers in a either a 3 out of 6 or a 4 out of 6 wheel.  If I am understanding you correctly, you can play 40 tickets at $1.00 each or 40 tickets at .50 each.  Unless you are extremely skilled at choosing numbers based on pattern inference (see all my previous posts), I would choose to wheel about half the game's numbers in an abbreviated wheel.  I would use a full wheel only if both my playing of the patterns and my intuition combined to give me very strong feelings about such a very small group of numbers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3112 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2009, 1:12 am - IP Logged

There are a great number of smaller powerful wheels ready for anyone with the predictive ability to put four or more of the winning numbers among those on the wheel often enough to keep things interesting.

Lacking those predictive skills means you have to play roughly 36 numbers to have a fair chance of all six winning numbers being among the 36.

Your budget of 40 lines won't cover a wheel guarantee of 3if6in36 and that prize is hardly worth winning, though there are those who play a wheel like that because a wheel can always win above its guarantee.

You might try making three six by six grids, one for 01-36, one for 07-42 and one for 14-49.  Shotgun those numbers into their respective grids and play the formed lines down and across.  That's 36 plays, you can play the lines formed criss x cross on two of the three grids with the last 4 plays in your budget.

In testing, I would expect to find 4 to 6 winning numbers on each grid.  Whether they will be found together on one line is a matter of luck.

BobP

South Africa
                Member #75624
                June 8, 2009
                3 Posts
                Posted: June 15, 2009, 5:40 am - IP Logged

Thanks for all the replies. I think as most of you say, trying for a full wheel with only 8 numbers is probably not the best route.

I think for the next few weeks ill try one of two free wheels that i've found online which are in the region of my budget:

- 12 numbers: 5if6: 44 lines

- 18 numbers: 3if6: 40 lines (I dont think this one is really worth it because even though it's got 18 numbers, it's only 3if6?).

BobP's idea about creating three 6 by 6 grids also sounds interesting. Might give that a try, thanks.