Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Weird, Retailer denied payment

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 7 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4523 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2009, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Rather odd situation. Bought an instant ticket thru one of those Greene machines. Won a whoppin $2 according to the ticket game. Went to cash it in and the Validation machine spewed out: Card Reader cannot cash. The clerk was as mystified as I was since I hadnt claimed it before . THe Clerk calls the Vendor help line. THe Lady said- A possiblity is the "The pack of tickets hadnt been initialized"

When he read back the series of numbers the lady confirmed that the Packet LOT had been distributed but they hadnt received confirmation from the vendor that it was in the selling stage. 

So Basically the guy said to me, Lady did you steal this pack or was this ticket given to you off the streets? I Explained where it came from. The Lottery Lady confirmed my information based on the packet series. But my issue at this point is...What to do?

Neither the clerk nor the Lottery lady were able to tell me if I could ever get my winnings ....The Vendor is two cities over...Wouldnt you think given the fact that the machine that validated this ticket would throw a flag that someone is trying to cash a ticket alert them to contact the vendor to see if a theft occurred or to remind them to initialize the packet? I am downright embarressed that it was assumed that I had in some way taken a packet from a retailer....

So what I learned is ...tickets are not always payable IF the retailer forgets to initialize the packet! Imagine if it had been a higher awarded prize and you cant claim it!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
    Member #3792
    February 21, 2004
    198 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2009, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

they can initialize them after the fact.  i had this happen before.  whoever is in charge of putting those tickets into the machine screwed up.

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
      Member #63356
      July 26, 2008
      1427 Posts
      Posted: June 20, 2009, 12:57 am - IP Logged

That is correct TheGameGrl, someone messed up!  So you still have the ticket right?  Mmmm.. take it to another store and try it out in a few days when the lazy vendor initializes the pack.  IF he can, if he didn't throw out the package that it came in with the info on it.  Yikes!  That is why I stay with one place now, if that would have happened to me they would have paid me and chewed the guy out when he returned.  Try to find a decent place to play and they will stand by their customers.  Hope everything turns out well for you!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4523 Posts
        Posted: June 20, 2009, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks folks! - Yes I have the ticket. Keeping it til someone gets their act together. Its not about the two dollars . Its that I really learned a lesson about *assuming* that if a tickets for sale, and its bought and its a winner, that I would get paid. Boy was I wrong.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
          Member #63356
          July 26, 2008
          1427 Posts
          Posted: June 20, 2009, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

For Information.

I write nasty letters all the time to companies, even to the Government.  Ooops!  Guess they have a file on me huh?  LOL!

The point is, I get results all the time and free stuff, apologies, and money.

I just state the facts in my letters and the kicker is that I also say that I'm going to tell all my friends about how this Xcompany is treating their customers.   

Try it - write to the lottery commission and see if you get any results. If you want, send them a copy of the ticket.  Just got a coupon in the mail for 3.69 for crackers, yeah I complained that the box I bought had too many broken ones in it.  LOL!  True, too many for my money.

Got free breakfast for two because the last time I went to IHop they served me the wrong pancakes.  Who knew that they have two batters?  I sure didn't. One buttermilk and one with vanilla flavor?  I wanted buttermilk.  You guessed it!  I complained first to the MOD at the time, got no results even after he asked me to take a blind taste test and I picked the one that was served by mistake, then to Corporate because I was really angry that the MOD didn't do right by me.  Did you know when you order the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity Pancakes you are getting that ''second'' batter that is horrible and most likely cheaper than those buttermilk pancakes?  And I noticed that they cut the bacon down, they took the maple syrup off the table and only served us the real stuff in tiny cups.  Yikes! 

But the one that is a thorn in my side?  BJ's Wholesale club.  I wanted to buy a computer recently, they had loads of them in two boxes, but the color of the computer wasn't visible because this second box used to ship.  I asked customer service if they could take the inner box out of the outer box, they said no.  So I asked for the manager, he said no.  I got angry and explained that I was in the BJ's in New Jersey when I first saw the computer and they had them out of the shipping box so customers could see the color of the computers.  They would not budge.  I got in my car and drove another 40-45 miles to the other BJ's and went to the customer service, told them I wanted to buy the computer and if they could pull the inner box out so I could see the color.  The Clerk took the computer out and showed me it was a bronze color.  I bought the computer.  I didn't want a white computer with a white keyboard, can you imagine what a white keyboard would look like in a few months?  I had to drive another 80 - 90 miles because the BJ's in South Philadelphia doesn't like to satisfy their customers?  The South Philly store did the same thing to me when they mistakenly over charged me for totes, refusing to help me, back to the road again, another 80+ miles to get a 11.99 refund?  I know, stop going to the unfriendly store.  Nope, won't do it, I know retail, I worked retail for over 3 years at Lowe's, and I personally had customers bypass two Home Depots and another Lowe's in order to get to my store so I could help them with their purchases, and tell my funny stories.  If they keep getting legit complaints at the corporate level they will have to do something.  I shop in South Philly when I in the area for other business.  Btw, I PAY for membership for BJ's, which makes it worst!  I can go to any Walmart and state my case and get a refund.

Yes, I complain all the time if I'm spending my money and its not what I want.  I get results too.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
            Midlands, SC
            United States
            Member #69698
            January 14, 2009
            303 Posts
            Posted: June 20, 2009, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

For Information.

I write nasty letters all the time to companies, even to the Government.  Ooops!  Guess they have a file on me huh?  LOL!

I just state the facts in my letters and the kicker is that I also say that I'm going to tell all my friends about how this Xcompany is treating their customers.   

Try it - write to the lottery commission and see if you get any results. If you want, send them a copy of the ticket.  Just got a coupon in the mail for 3.69 for crackers, yeah I complained that the box I bought had too many broken ones in it.  LOL!  True, too many for my money.

Got free breakfast for two because the last time I went to IHop they served me the wrong pancakes.  Who knew that they have two batters?  I sure didn't. One buttermilk and one with vanilla flavor?  I wanted buttermilk.  You guessed it!  I complained first to the MOD at the time, got no results even after he asked me to take a blind taste test and I picked the one that was served by mistake, then to Corporate because I was really angry that the MOD didn't do right by me.  Did you know when you order the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity Pancakes you are getting that ''second'' batter that is horrible and most likely cheaper than those buttermilk pancakes?  And I noticed that they cut the bacon down, they took the maple syrup off the table and only served us the real stuff in tiny cups.  Yikes! 

But the one that is a thorn in my side?  BJ's Wholesale club.  I wanted to buy a computer recently, they had loads of them in two boxes, but the color of the computer wasn't visible because this second box used to ship.  I asked customer service if they could take the inner box out of the outer box, they said no.  So I asked for the manager, he said no.  I got angry and explained that I was in the BJ's in New Jersey when I first saw the computer and they had them out of the shipping box so customers could see the color of the computers.  They would not budge.  I got in my car and drove another 40-45 miles to the other BJ's and went to the customer service, told them I wanted to buy the computer and if they could pull the inner box out so I could see the color.  The Clerk took the computer out and showed me it was a bronze color.  I bought the computer.  I didn't want a white computer with a white keyboard, can you imagine what a white keyboard would look like in a few months?  I had to drive another 80 - 90 miles because the BJ's in South Philadelphia doesn't like to satisfy their customers?  The South Philly store did the same thing to me when they mistakenly over charged me for totes, refusing to help me, back to the road again, another 80+ miles to get a 11.99 refund?  I know, stop going to the unfriendly store.  Nope, won't do it, I know retail, I worked retail for over 3 years at Lowe's, and I personally had customers bypass two Home Depots and another Lowe's in order to get to my store so I could help them with their purchases, and tell my funny stories.  If they keep getting legit complaints at the corporate level they will have to do something.  I shop in South Philly when I in the area for other business.  Btw, I PAY for membership for BJ's, which makes it worst!  I can go to any Walmart and state my case and get a refund.

Yes, I complain all the time if I'm spending my money and its not what I want.  I get results too.

You go girl!!!!  Good customer service is nearly extinct.  That's why I prefer ordering off of the internet...that way I don't have to feel like I'm "bothering" the worker when I have a question.  I had the girl at the gas station shout at me today when I asked if there was a ticket in bin 7.  (It was too high up for me to see in it)...geez!!!!  Forgive me for patronizing your store.

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3333 Posts
              Posted: June 20, 2009, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

For Information.

The manner in which you tell your stories is very funny, although am sure your experiences at the time was anything but. 

Unfortunately companies are more worried about PR advertising to attract new customers ..... bigger bottom line for them ...... in lieu of treating their bread and butter customers with integrity. 

Keep letting them know what they did wrong is the only way they'll ever find out.

Good luck to everyone!

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2009, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

I've heard stories about reatilers not settling packs, but never a reatiler failing to activate a pack.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.