Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball cash value amounts

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #64582
September 1, 2008
347 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2009, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I just found it interesting that earlier this year, Powerball was at $25 million with $15 million cash value.

Today it's at $25 million with a cash value of $12 million.

I know it changes because of how many tickets people buy, but doesn't this seem a bit drastic of a difference already?

And why does MegaMillions always - always - have higher cash value amounts than Powerball? Does the way they invest that much different? And investment doesn't matter anyway if you take the Cash option, so...?? Is it because Powerball is overextended and MM doesn't have as many states?

I know some of these questions have been answered before, but not all in one spot (to my knowledge).

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49835 Posts
    Posted: June 26, 2009, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Lottery Post Search is Your Friend:

http://www.lotterypost.com/search?q=powerball+vs+megamillions+cash+value&t=all

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      North Carolina
      United States
      Member #64582
      September 1, 2008
      347 Posts
      Posted: June 26, 2009, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

My search abilities have always been horrible! Even when I do the exact same searches as the people near me.

Thanks!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23277 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2009, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3475 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2009, 2:13 am - IP Logged

My search abilities have always been horrible! Even when I do the exact same searches as the people near me.

Thanks!

That particular search was fairly useless.

It's all about how the money is invested. That's true even if the winner does choose cash value, because the advertised amount is based on the expected investment. The actual prize is always determined by sales, because that's where the money comes from. If a winner chooses annuity the cash will be invested. Interest rates have gone up again, so the annuity value of a given amount of cash is higher. The PB annuity is paid out more slowly than the MM annuity, so the cash invested by PB earns more interest by the time the final payment is made. Conversely, more cash is necessary to advertise a MM annuity at the same amount as a PB annuity.