Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I love it when PB jackpots get hit frequently

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #76351
June 25, 2009
6 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2009, 2:32 am - IP Logged

I just love when PB jackpots get hit frequently at relatively low amounts. Someone in CT won tonight's "mere" $25 million jackpot. It only goes to show that despite PB's greedy efforts to keep raising the jackpot odds to EVEN more impossibly astronomical odds (1/195 million now), the jackpot still won't reach PB's "ideal" level of  $100+ million very often at all. Their highest jackpot ever still is $365 million from more than three years ago with lower jackpot odds than current levels, when players picked 5/55 + 1/42 (1/176 million odds).  The PB association shot themselves in the foot last January by expanding the matrix yet again, and lo and behold, their average jackpots haven't been any higher than before. I bet their overall sales with all member states combined went down instead of up with this latest attempt to further discourage players. Lower your jackpot odds and raise the price of the ticket to $2, PB.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2009, 5:23 am - IP Logged

The house always profit, even when someone wins the jackpot they also get a nice percentage of it. Even more if the winner takes lump sum instead of annually. Despite the increased in odds, it is still not impossible to win. Perhaps if it's 1/500billion chance someone still win it. Luck works in mysterious ways.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2009, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I just love when PB jackpots get hit frequently at relatively low amounts. Someone in CT won tonight's "mere" $25 million jackpot. It only goes to show that despite PB's greedy efforts to keep raising the jackpot odds to EVEN more impossibly astronomical odds (1/195 million now), the jackpot still won't reach PB's "ideal" level of  $100+ million very often at all. Their highest jackpot ever still is $365 million from more than three years ago with lower jackpot odds than current levels, when players picked 5/55 + 1/42 (1/176 million odds).  The PB association shot themselves in the foot last January by expanding the matrix yet again, and lo and behold, their average jackpots haven't been any higher than before. I bet their overall sales with all member states combined went down instead of up with this latest attempt to further discourage players. Lower your jackpot odds and raise the price of the ticket to $2, PB.

If anything, your argument proves no harm was done by raising the odds as more states were added and someone winning the jackpot on its first drawing can still happen.   As you pointed out the jackpots haven't gotten any larger and they are still being won at the same frequency as they were with lower odds with fewer states.   Sounds like they got it right, had they not raised the odds as states were added, the large jackpots which is the main attraction of the game couldn't exist.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2009, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

The house always profit, even when someone wins the jackpot they also get a nice percentage of it. Even more if the winner takes lump sum instead of annually. Despite the increased in odds, it is still not impossible to win. Perhaps if it's 1/500billion chance someone still win it. Luck works in mysterious ways.

I think you have that switched around....

You can't predict random.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23261 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2009, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
            Dallas, TX
            United States
            Member #60284
            April 12, 2008
            3856 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2009, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I think you have that switched around....

?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23261 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2009, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

If anything, your argument proves no harm was done by raising the odds as more states were added and someone winning the jackpot on its first drawing can still happen.   As you pointed out the jackpots haven't gotten any larger and they are still being won at the same frequency as they were with lower odds with fewer states.   Sounds like they got it right, had they not raised the odds as states were added, the large jackpots which is the main attraction of the game couldn't exist.

I Agree!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2009, 2:01 am - IP Logged

I guess you can't figure out that doubling the price of a ticket is exactly the same thing as doubling the odds, and then only selling tickets in pairs.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                  MI
                  United States
                  Member #54830
                  August 31, 2007
                  985 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2009, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

?

I'm referring to the house winning when someone chooses the lump sum over the annuity.

You can't predict random.