Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Having a dilemma

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LotteryGuy's avatar - mrthumbs
Ohio
United States
Member #74411
May 10, 2009
71 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2009, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I live in Ohio and typically I play the Classic Lotto game.  It's a 6/49 game and the jackpot hasn't been won since last August.  The jackpot is now at 28.5 million.  The drawings are Mon/Weds/Sat and I typically play $5 per drawing and use the same numbers.  Well, last night I matched 4 of the 6 numbers and won $70.

I get paid every 2 weeks, so I always set aside $30 per payday to play my $15 per week.  Well, my first thought was to keep $30 out to use for the following 2 weeks and put the other $40 in the bank but then I thought.....well, this is $70 you weren't expecting, so why not spend the entire $70 on the game to better increase your chances of winning something bigger.  My conservative side keeps saying, no, just put the extra money in the bank.

Any advice?  What would you do?  Approve

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
    Katy, Tx
    United States
    Member #67709
    December 3, 2008
    204 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2009, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

Lottery Guy,

Do the smart thing and keep playing small.  If your going to win it doesn't matter How many numbers you play just keep going with the ones you are playing.  Your odds are, it has to hit sometime.

Lots of luck.

Joey

Ohio
      United States
      Member #74411
      May 10, 2009
      71 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2009, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Lottery Guy,

Do the smart thing and keep playing small.  If your going to win it doesn't matter How many numbers you play just keep going with the ones you are playing.  Your odds are, it has to hit sometime.

Lots of luck.

Joey

Thanks Joey, I think that's what I'll do.  See Ya!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2009, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't think a few extra bucks will influence the odds in your favor with any significance, especially when dealing in the millions of possibilites.

If the stars have your name on the winning ticket, it'll happen with only one.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
          West Side of Sunny Florida
          United States
          Member #55048
          September 8, 2007
          3371 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2009, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

With a $70 hit, at most I would put $5 back into the game and keep $65.00 Thumbs Up

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
            Santa Ana
            United States
            Member #71159
            February 20, 2009
            651 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2009, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Just play the same amount as if you didn't have the $70.00 but play $1.00 or $2.00 more to even the odds because it only takes one set of numbers to winBananaGOOD LUCK TO YOUHurray!

United States
              Member #24439
              October 22, 2005
              638 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2009, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Play as you have budgeted. I promise you that your winnigs will disappear fast enough.

Ohio
                United States
                Member #74411
                May 10, 2009
                71 Posts
                Posted: June 28, 2009, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Ok, just got back from cashing the ticket in and I deposited the money in my checking account.  I'm going to continue to play as budgeted.  Thanks you all for the advice and yes, I'm sure the $70 will disappear quickly enough just by playing the $15/week!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2009, 1:06 am - IP Logged

I don't play Classic Lotto very often but because of its odds of winning and jackpot size, I plan to buy a few extra tickets tomorrow.  If someone wins it then I won't be playing it again for a while.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2009, 3:07 am - IP Logged

I asked the Ohio lottery what you should do and they got all misty eyed and said you should plow it all back into tickets. 4 of 6 would pays $70, so by buying 70 tickets there's a whopping 1 in 15 chance of getting the money back.