Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Obama Admin. working on 90% tax on lottery?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 8 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
xandercage's avatar - eye storm.jpg
texas
United States
Member #72549
March 21, 2009
141 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2009, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

It's been rumored that Obama and his team are working on a bill that would put a 90% cap on anything over $250,000. This includes one who may win the lottery, meaning they would take 90% of anything won over $250,000.00. If this is true, we are heading towards communism.

texas
    United States
    Member #72549
    March 21, 2009
    141 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2009, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

I don't have the facts on this, nor any documentation, but we all heard that he was going to tax the middle class, through rumors. Now we see that he is trying to do just that. What's next?

United States
      Member #916
      December 12, 2002
      18335 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2009, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I can tell this is going to be an interesting conversation

United States
        Member #76285
        June 23, 2009
        16 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2009, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I haven't heard that.

About the 90% tax, what I have heard was that - Obama administration was considering 90% tax on the bonuses paid to the executives of the companies who received federal bail-out money. The reason behind was those companies (like AIG, Citi) received billions of dollars from the tax payers money, and used that money to pay millions to their top executive. Obama administration was outrageous on that, and asked the executives to return the bonuses. Most did return, some did not. So this bill was introduced to tax those bonuses at 90% federal tax. They assumed the remaining 10% would be taken care by the State tax. But eventually, all executives agreed to return the money, and this bill was not necessary to pass into law.

As regards, taxing 90% lottery money or any specific type of money would attract many lawsuites. I dont think, Obama administration is that foolish.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23348 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2009, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

I haven't heard that.

About the 90% tax, what I have heard was that - Obama administration was considering 90% tax on the bonuses paid to the executives of the companies who received federal bail-out money. The reason behind was those companies (like AIG, Citi) received billions of dollars from the tax payers money, and used that money to pay millions to their top executive. Obama administration was outrageous on that, and asked the executives to return the bonuses. Most did return, some did not. So this bill was introduced to tax those bonuses at 90% federal tax. They assumed the remaining 10% would be taken care by the State tax. But eventually, all executives agreed to return the money, and this bill was not necessary to pass into law.

As regards, taxing 90% lottery money or any specific type of money would attract many lawsuites. I dont think, Obama administration is that foolish.

I think this is right, the 90% penalty is just on the poor slobs who took their income as a bonus at AIG instead of getting a regular salary.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7341 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2009, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

I don't have the facts on this, nor any documentation, but we all heard that he was going to tax the middle class, through rumors. Now we see that he is trying to do just that. What's next?

What's the point of discussing rumors without any facts or documentation?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19894 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2009, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

What's the point of discussing rumors without any facts or documentation?

Facts just get in the way of a good discussion.  Didn't you see the thread in this forum about the pick3/4 system that wins 95% of the time?  The poster went so far as to post a bunch of numbers and congratulate himself for a big win even though no one knows where his numbers hit.  Over 25 pages of BS was generated using rumors, many of them made up on the fly as needed.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2009, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Facts just get in the way of a good discussion.  Didn't you see the thread in this forum about the pick3/4 system that wins 95% of the time?  The poster went so far as to post a bunch of numbers and congratulate himself for a big win even though no one knows where his numbers hit.  Over 25 pages of BS was generated using rumors, many of them made up on the fly as needed.

Green laugh                              ROFL

Your first sentence.....lol

Poor matchmaker.....Crazy

United States
                  Member #54390
                  August 17, 2007
                  313 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2009, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

It's been rumored that Obama and his team are working on a bill that would put a 90% cap on anything over $250,000. This includes one who may win the lottery, meaning they would take 90% of anything won over $250,000.00. If this is true, we are heading towards communism.

If the USA were communist, then the governmetn would take out 99.99%.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3112 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2009, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

They who say, are the little jackasses who live in some people's heads.  BobP

texas
                      United States
                      Member #72549
                      March 21, 2009
                      141 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2009, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Why did I say this? Well let's start by acknowledging that I said I had no facts on this; therefore clearly this was meant to be a discussion as to get the answer to it. This forum in and of itself is based on opinionated information, is it not? A forum is just that; a place for discussion. Do you post any predictions on this site? Do you read and take into account the predictions and opinionated systems-beliefs on this site?  You're here aren't you?

texas
                        United States
                        Member #72549
                        March 21, 2009
                        141 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Alot of the times, there always may not be facts about a topic. Hearsay is hearsay, but there is usually always some truth to whatever is being said. I'm still trying to digest the fact that you asked why I would make a post without any facts, in a discussion forum. I am in the lottery discussion forum aren't I? Besides I wouldn't put anything past Obama. If you don't watch out they'll be giving you a curfew time for lottery post.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19894 Posts
                          Posted: June 29, 2009, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Alot of the times, there always may not be facts about a topic. Hearsay is hearsay, but there is usually always some truth to whatever is being said. I'm still trying to digest the fact that you asked why I would make a post without any facts, in a discussion forum. I am in the lottery discussion forum aren't I? Besides I wouldn't put anything past Obama. If you don't watch out they'll be giving you a curfew time for lottery post.

I'm still trying to digest the fact that you asked why I would make a post without any facts

I assume your thread in the pick5 forum:

"3 out of 5 this is the third hit i've made this week cash 5 tex"
                          http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/196055

was just to getting some conversation going.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Espanola NM
                            United States
                            Member #72722
                            March 25, 2009
                            133 Posts
                            Posted: June 29, 2009, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

There will never be a 90% tax.   People forget This nation was created over 200 yrs ago when the British tried to overtax us.  It caused a revolution and USA was born.

I don't want to make this thread politicial.....but if we ever had a 90% tax.   I wouldn't pay it and I am sure there would be a revolution that would make the current situation in Iran/Honduras seem like a day in the park

Chuckstergrmi's avatar - CopyofsmileyFaceOVALyellow
                              Grand Rapids, MI
                              United States
                              Member #74348
                              May 8, 2009
                              5 Posts
                              Posted: June 29, 2009, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

There will never be a 90% tax.   People forget This nation was created over 200 yrs ago when the British tried to overtax us.  It caused a revolution and USA was born.

I don't want to make this thread politicial.....but if we ever had a 90% tax.   I wouldn't pay it and I am sure there would be a revolution that would make the current situation in Iran/Honduras seem like a day in the park

I hope so!!